3.8.16, 64bit installer has issues with disk formatting

After partitioning you can not format the hard drive. Also, no matter what format you choose, the installer thinks that reizerFS as been selected and warns you about kernel issues with reizerFS. After this warning the installer does nothing for hours when it should be formatting the SSD.

I hope there is a good fix for this formatting stage that can be updated before continuation of installing Elive.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the source code of the installer on github. I could try apt-get source but i'm not at an elive computer right now.

Have you tested this on multiple computers?

The bug wasn't there in 3.8.13... though in all fairness I didn't partition it manually (chose "automatic").

Partitioning runs fine, and you can format with the partitioning tool.

Its after the partitioning steep I have the issue with. And you can not install Elive on SSD at all.

so repeating my issue.......

After partitioning you can not format the hard drive (installer fails to allow you to format the SSD). Also, no matter what format you choose, the installer thinks that reizerFS as been selected and warns you about kernel issues with reizerFS. After this warning the installer does nothing for hours when it should be formatting the SSD.

This is really odd. I've never seen this behaviour before.

:baffled:

I was able to upgrade from 3.0.6 to 3.8.16 and currently have no issues.

The installer of 3.8.16 needs to be looked at the formatting stage. Otherwise, Upgrading to Elive 3.8.16 from Elive 3.0.6 appears to work well.

Thanks a lot @linux23dragon for reporting the issue, the reiserfs (v3) has been experimentally enabled back for new kernels on the installer, and after a fast test in a virtual machine I just seen the issue, so bad, now it is fixed and you can try to install again (the installer will automatically update) without issues :slight_smile:

Since its an important issue for a release I'm going to build a new ISO to be uploaded with the bug fixed by default

2 Likes

I couldn't seem to find the source code of the installer on GitHub, and I'm not currently on a computer with Elive so I can't apt-get source. Is it just hidden on github? I cannot find it.

yeah the installer source code is not published at the moment since in the past has been used to get donations from it (requiring an installer module), it is going to be used back in the future? not at the moment, not likely... so there's possibilities to put it somewhere like github, the only needed thing will be to move into a different file all the installer-modules code just in case wants to be used in the future :thinking: in other words, it will require some work in order to publish it

1 Like

Maybe we could bring back the Beta installer module (the one where you either wait 2 minutes or donate) for 4.0...would be smart. But ya keep all the code separate. The only issue is that the installer is in an interpreted language (bash) so we can access the source easily. So there's no point NOT publishing it, especially if we use the beta installer modules (as the time it takes to modify the code is around the same as the wait-two-minutes-to-install type).

Are we talking the "installer" scripts that reside on the Live.iso?
They're easy enough to copy aren't they?

yeah good point

So yeah, in short, if the installer is going to be published it requires a bit of work to remove the installer-module part (just in case is going to be used in the future or maybe for some special version for enterprises or something like that)

About bringing back the beta installer module type (waiting 2 minutes or donate), I'm not sure, in donations numbers is more or less the same as the actual method, but I found that is a bit less painful this actual way (just wait before to download and then no worry about anything more later)