64 bit version of Elive

There's a gigantic amount of work for a single person to make Elive

64 versions has been in the TODO list for longtime, the good news is that I have worked for months in making the internal building tools and every related thing to the multi-arch topic to work and being compatible, so the hardest part for make Elive in 64 bit is already done!

Before 3.0, I tried then to start porting all the 2500+ Elive packages to 64 bit, but soon I found that this step required a ton of new work and also to upgrade the full system to newer debian base, which leaded to the decision to just release 3.0 and move fast to the next development stage

More details about this in Why Elive 3.0 has old software & drivers

In the meantime, if you need to run 64bit software in Elive 3.0, you can try to use this

UPDATE:

64 BIT versions of Elive are available, fully function, and extremely stable from the beta versions :hooray: :dance: :happy: :happy_dance: :happybounce:

Would be possible to release a 64 bit version of elive tagged as "early Alfa" which ships an updated 64 bit Debian version but packaged with just basic features of elive? Like just elive's wonderful gui (with ecomorph) and zsh?
It'd be far away from elive 3.0, and it'd probably miss features like persistence (maybe even the live session) and all the personalized packages, but at least it'd be an alternative for these who need an updated Debian without moving from elive (even if it's not the real features-full one)! Or isnt it that easy?
For example i hope I won't need to update Debian for my next University class, but if it were the case I'm going to switch back to q4os on my laptop (Debian stretch/buster 64 bit based) :confused:

Yes that's the idea, as you can read in the stable / beta download pages

the idea is to re-integrate all the features, but of course that's also a lot of work (betatest everything and make it working back with fixes and modifications

I don't want to make Elive "less featured", otherwise it will lose all the good that has

1 Like

more support here and patreon needed
too much work for 1 person

2 Likes

Please don't have yet expectations about this topic and specially don't expect results soon! but...
check my recent comment here

http://repository.elivecd.org/pool/efl/e/e16/e16_1.0.19%2Bgit96b538a6e1880d699730b2c40d455a77dda8fab5-6buster7_amd64.deb
^ yes you are reading correctly @stoppy98, "buster" and "amd64" words in the same line :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I like it. Really really really like it have been waiting for it for such a long time!
I will download it as soon as lectures end today!
Reading the URL, seems like it’s under enlightenment 16… Or am I mistaken? I’m not really caring about how old or new the GUI could be as long as it is well made I’m just curious

To clarify e16, yes I’m using e16 in my tests since is much faster for me to test things, e16 is pretty different as e17 specially in the userfriend/end-users side, but when is correctly configured is an extremely nice and fast desktop, I’m thinking since so much time to make a future version of Elive based in e16 instead of e17, but that will be a very different result, so maybe it should have a different “brand” name (and website, so, like a different project in fact)

1 Like

Updates about 64bit:

There has been already a time that I started to work on 64bit and (much) updated software, results are actually pretty good, and I want to write a little about them… but looking at the Categories of the forum, where I should write about them?

• Maybe we need a new section in Announcements called Development ? (which will be used for new things, not necessarily published or public)
    • Could be good to make people (everybody) automatically notified about this thread?
  • Could be nice to have a section of “advanced users”, which can help better alpha betatesting (when is required high skills as terminal, own configuration capabilities, problem solving & solution findings, etc…)
    • We should have a new category for this one? (note that we already have Betatest category, which is related but not exactly the same)

Suggestions / Ideas?

Mentions: @jfbourdeau @stoppy98 @grottem @LupusE @zbd @triantares

Why not using the beta test section ?

yoda
https://forum.elivelinux.org/c/get-involved/betatest

I agree. A sub (64bit) thread in betatest should suffice.

1 Like

Done :slight_smile:

Now I feel like this topic diverged heh, but anyways, the other one is about betatesting, I assume that this topic should be rewrited in the future to keep people updated (for example it says there's no versions of 64 bit but this will change in the future)

Happy to help test when available…alpha/beta, as necessary - I have an old HP DV9000 with AMD Turion with 1 GB memory lying around I can sacrifice to the cause…

Put me in whatever session you'd like, i can't just wait for putting my hands on an ykind of 64 bits version... i need t owork with eclipse and nextcloud, and latest versions of both have troubles when running under 32 bits wheezy! But of course i don't want to move my dsktop to another os eheh
Damn 4 gigs of ram feel wasted when using elive

P.S.
i'm following a course about operating systems and well i must say that sh scripting is pretty much annoying eheh i spend more time fixing white space typos than writing the script itself

1 Like

Some updates:

• i have been in contact with the developer of E16 to fix ultimate things, but specially an important crash in the desktop (and we want a solid desktop right? E16 is amazingly solid). E16 is going to be used for the first tests and importing everything, but im working hard to make it a perfectly useful desktop
  • It will lack a good amount of the unique Elive features (also because of e16 which is very different), until everything is imported and switched to E17 (or other)
  • the installer is in the less-priority corner right now (working on making a good live system first)

That sounds like a problem of your editor? check the .vimrc file in your Elive to see a few extra features for whitespaces that it includes, there's also a vim fast tutorial in the Documents dir

1 Like

I know, that's where i started from to get (kinda" comfortable with vim. unluckily, during the exam (which is on thursday D:) i will have to use the default vi installation, so.... i'm practicing with the default vi using basic commands only just so i won't be getting used to features i'll be missing afterwards!

of course we do. I honestly met a few bug using elive and e17, but even just one could give great disappointments if it appears in the wrong moments (like all the problems the version of arandr shipped with elive has...)!

well, being an alpha version (am i right?) it would be fine.

there will be some crappy workaround to install it if someone wants to :coding:

Updates: 64bit first builds

1 Like

Right ho, will download and test. :applause:
Where did you hide it?

Not published anything yet, but I will give you the hidden download as soon as I polish a few more things to be considered perfectly usable :slight_smile: , you will have news soon! :happy:

2 Likes