Cannot update 3.8.12 Beta to 3.8.14

https://bugs.elivecd.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=752

"Software" tells me there are 14 updates, with "OS Updates" being the first one. This fails as described in the above bug report.
Also, frustratingly so, I cannot download the 3.8.14 ISO (to do a re-install), without donating more money.

Use the link that was emailed to you...if you can't for some reason tell us, a handful of users (myself included) have access to the links

Not sure what "Software" is, but try rebooting, elive's builtin upgrader runs every boot

If that fails too, run apug in a terminal.

Reading the bug report has me scratching my head.

• Exactly what updates are you writing about?

"software 3.30.6" is non-existent so I suspect that's a typo and refers to 3.0.6 ..... which is actually "Stable" i.e the previous version of Elive and NOT in any way compatible with 3.8.12 Beta.

1. Opening a terminal (in 3.8.12) and running the "apug" command should result in a fully updated system ... except that it will still identify as 3.8.12 (not 3.8.14).
  2. The 3.8.12 link you received should automatically point you to the latest and greatest version, as has already been pointed out.

"Software" = Applications Menu —> Administration —> Software and click on "Updates ##" tab.
Which is probably what you are referring to as the "upgrader". I suspect it does not run at boot because of the delay in establishing a network connection (I have an HP Spectre x360 Convertible PC 13)

I had already bitten the bullet and made a minimum donation before seeing your post. I checked that download link and it works as you suggested… thank you for taking the time to respond. It is appreciated. :smiley:

While I am fine using a terminal, I prefer to stick to using a GUI when it is available.

That is actually something very different.
It runs (invisibly) on boot-up but you can instigate it yourself by typing "elive-upgrader" in a terminal.

If it doesn't do anything .... it means your system is up to date. :smiley14:

No, I just checked. With "Software" launched, the "About" shows:

Software

So, does that mean the "About" for the program has a bug?

It does not do anything whether I run it under my user-Id or use sudo. It returns instantly (according to my human perception :blush:)

However, "Software" still tells me there are 14 updates :frowning_face:

Just run apug in a terminal. If it asks "do you want to continue" type "y" and press enter. That should do the trick :blush:

Welcome to the community, JRG.

The linked Bug says:

Something wicked happened resolving ‘repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org:http’ (-5 - No address associated with hostname))

This looks like a network issue. As if your connection to the Internet has some kind of filter.

The hostname is repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org. At first you should open a terminal and type ping -c2 repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org and see if the hostname can be resolved. A correct answer looks like:

lupus@hope:~$ ping -c2 repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org
PING repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org (139.59.157.208) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from elivecd.org (139.59.157.208): icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=10.1 ms
64 bytes from elivecd.org (139.59.157.208): icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=9.09 ms

--- repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 3ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 9.090/9.576/10.063/0.496 ms

If it won't resolve (something like could not resolve or cant reach destination) comes as answer:

• try ping -c2 google.com
  • try cat /etc/resolve.conf, is your DNS Server seen at a nameserver line?
  • is there any proxy, that needs authentication?

Is that bash?

No, we thought you were talking about the OS version. It confused us for a second :madness:

On an unrelated note, looks like @thanatermesis didn't remove the default apache page on http://repo.wheezy.elive.elivecd.org/ (the wheezy repo) :madness:

to find out, simply type "bash" and hit Enter :smiley14:

No. It is "Software". Click the Elive button in the Mac-like panel and choose "Administration" and then "Software". It is the GUI software installer/uninstaller/updater.

I have no problem browsing the Internet. My network does not have an issue, except it is a bit slow when Elive boots. Possibly the order of start-up things needs changing?

I have upgraded my computer to 3.8.14 by booting from the 3,8,14 64-bit Beta DVD. I did an "upgrade" install which went fine and the result appears to be working fine.

The GUI software installer ("Software") has the same version number. I successfully used it to install an item. It also did not fail when I clicked on the "Updates" tab (though there are, as yet, no updates).

I was responding to @LupusE, but I admit it was a bit confusing :slight_smile:

Good to know :slight_smile:

Yeah, but we don't know. And instead of writing a whole loveletter with all possible situation, I'll try to analyze it step by step.
First: see if the connection is possible. Even if die ping command could be blocked by a firewall by filtering ICMP. It is stupid, but 'stealth mode' happens. Seen it even in company or enterprise networks.
Another way to analyze would be die command dig from the package dnsutils.

lupus@zoe:~$ dig repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org
[blah blah blah]
;; ANSWER SECTION:
repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org. 1800 IN A 139.59.157.208
[blah blah blah]

Now, we know the Hostname is resolveable.

The second issue cloud be the destination itself, as @TheTechRobo mentioned, if the redirect/rewrite/resomething on the server side will go wrong.

To understand what is happening:
The file /etc/apt/sources.list (and maybe files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/) pointing to a host and a path. There is a kind of directory, that lists the available packages with name, hash and version. If the available version is higher than the installed one, dpkg (apug is just an alias for some apt commands, apt is just a frontend for dpkg, dpkg is the packagemanager of Debian based systems) will write it in its database and the packagemanager-frontend of your choice will show 'hey, there are [n] updates available'.

If there is a delay between apt update and apt upgrade, it could be possible, that the server is temporarily not available or permanent shut down for some reasons.
But maybe the errors are not related. Maybe the apt update says 'there are 14 upgrades AND I can't reach this specific update source', but apt upgrade says 'everything is okay, but I'm not allowed to install the 14 updates'. In this case, the harder apt dist-upgrade will solve the dependencies (this is what is the package manager is all about) harder.
In 98% oft upgrades of a stable distribution, it should work well. The last 2% needs dist-upgrade as parameter, and here be careful, it could brake the system. It is good to know what happen in detail at this point. Happens 2 times in my 20 years of Linux, while I'm using Debian unstable.

A lot of ifs and whens. It is easier, when we see the whole apt output.

Yeah, but long story short:
On "apug" I have been getting Could not resolve 'repo.buster.deb-multimedia.elivecd.org' for a while now....but it upgrades none the less.
So AFAIK it's misconfigured ..... it's an elivecd repo so, @Thanatermesis thing. It'll prolly be fixed soon.

The "software" front-end says the same about the repo but will run the available updates anyway. :+1:
Just click the "error" away and look in the "updates" tab.

Hello dear, recently I have donwnload the last version Elive . I have two choice? First one a donation or download the version on 64bits??? or in 32 bits..In my notebook this one are in 32 bits in i586 or i686???? I suppose it's possibe to testing it on my notebook old year ?? What do you thing about this question , many thanks c u s :grinning:

This depends on the CPU on the notebook itself.

• 32 bit will install on any (excepting 486 and older) Intel/amd machine, including 64 bit machines.
  • 64 bit version will ONLY install on 64 bit machines.

If Elive is already installed on the machine ... You can see what you have with (in a terminal):
"inxi -SC" , where the output will give your current system info as well the CPU topology.

If you're not certain, post the output here on the forum.

On a side note:
If you have paid and downloaded 64bit previously, the same link you got through the mail at the time - should still be valid for direct access to the latest version.