Curious suspend bug (or not) on E24

On E24 (3.8.12 apug up-to-date) if I opt for "system", "suspend" ..... my system suspends but:
When waking I see only a black screen and my cursor.

Typing (blindly in guake terminal) the command "killall -HUP enlightenment" makes the screen flicker and come up again as it should have in the first place.

Is this just my machine or can anybody else reproduce this??

Well, sometimes when my PC goes to sleep, it cant wake up, so maybe Ill try killall -HUP enlightenment nexttime?

With normal suspend (i.e after being unused for a while) I don't have this issue.

• Only when I use "suspend" from the click menu ...... E16 does not have this behaviour.

It only happens for me when i flip the screen down... (it's a laptop)

But can you reproduce my suspend issue or not ?
That was my point of asking.

Ah.. When I answered I thought it was same one as mine.

No, I don't think i can...:confused: i'll keep trying...

It could be related but the question was more to determine whether it was a one time, specifically my set-up thingy or not.

2 important things to test:

• try "elive-pm suspend" and see if you have the same bug with it too (since is the tool that we are going to use by default is important to know that it works same or better than other ones)
  • try it with the Composite settings set to Software (yeah, important)

other optional tests:

• remove package laptop-mode-tools and see if there's any difference (should be worse to not have it, but who knows?)
  • is acpid enabled in your machine, as E24 suggests it?
  • "elive-pm suspend" works fine on lid close/open. Which raises the question what E24 uses. :thinking:

• acpid is enabled

• composite to software makes no difference

• removing software-tools is not an option IMO
    * "sudo pm-suspend" works just fine too. Why is that sudo in the first place???? :shocked:

you should not need sudo imho :thinking:

If im not wrong, it uses systemd, which should simply work correctly (elive-pm also uses is as first option), but the E mode does some extra things, so I think this is a bug that should be reported to E, but, don't tell them about elive-pm works correctly (they dont have this tool) but instead tell them which other standard tools works correctly, also verify it with plain systemd, like: "systemctl suspend"

Then give the details of what E does wrong

BTW there was a place to configure that:

~ ❯❯❯ dpL enlightenment-data | grep etc
/etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf
/etc/enlightenment/system.conf

Which doesn't shows the suspend and other calls anymore... and there's also two same files (i think that it migrated to a new one so why to keep both?) - another thing to report

yesterday I played with E24 and it works very good but at the same time I see a good amount of things that needs to be polished / fixed, specially from the options which are confusing and some not working correctly

BTW I suggest you to add this line to your ~/.elxstrt file:

urxvt -title "xsession-errors" -geometry 200x20 -e bash -c "tail -f ~/.xsession-errors" &

(and make sure that "elxstart" is added to your Startup Applications). It will show in a terminal all the messages that runs on your graphical system, like errors or messages by E, unfortunately there's a good amount of garbage too so maybe on E24 is hard to see. You can also edit the .xsession-errors file after suspension in order to search some information from E like it were a syslog file

Which works just fine when invoked.
Maybe it's the "screen blanking" that uses "dpms" that gets in the way. :thinking:

Yes, I find E24 itself is quite stable and hardly ever crashes....it just requires some extra polish.
OTH I agree that a lot of settings are very unclear as to what they actually do and maybe confusing for noobs.

BTW,
Where do the messages that permanently run on F12 come from ?

• They're clearly more than "syslog" or "dmesg" sometimes including info I'd want to copy but evidently cannot, from there. :face_with_head_bandage:

sounds like something like this, as said, E does some extra things when suspending (so, if you call suspend from a command, E dont knows about it, but if you do it from E, E does some things before to suspend) - in any case sounds like something to report to E, except for the fact that maybe has relation with your settings (E devs can point you that), by other side if there's a buggy / useless / crappy setting in E maybe is good to report it too

this is a delicated thing, the source code can be modified to improve them, like the wording of the options and also the options themselves (some has been deprecated / useless over the time, they neeeds some rewrite), but this can introduce new bugs too so its a delicated thing

I even wonder if the "advanced / basic" settings mode is a useful feature at all or should be removed :thinking: (makes the overall configurations more confusing! but for the composite ones in fact is useful to have it much simpler like switching between hardware and software modes)

system logs:

grep tty12 /etc/rsyslog.conf

yes you can :slight_smile: you have mouse featured in console in elive lol (gpm), but you can only use it between consoles imho

Well actually it doesn't work 100%...nicely, it even suspends my console on F1 and F12 (as does "systemctl suspend").
It wakes up fine on lid open/close but not through touch, moving mouse or hitting keys or power button (albeit the button gives a short flash of the screen).
Invoking it gives me this:

do_connect: could not connect to socket
connect: No such file or directory
^/usr/bin/elive-pm: line 265: 25115 Quit sleep 3

Running "tail -f ~/.xsession-errors" does give a similar message when it works as system, suspend on E24:

BL: set [/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight] -> 994
BL: set [/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight] -> 998
BL: set [/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight] -> 999
BL: set [/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight] -> 1000

Alas setting the backlight either in the console or in a terminal (blindly in the dark session) doesn't bring up the screen it only affects the brightness overall.
I use:
"echo 852 | sudo tee /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-eDP-1/intel_backlight/brightness"
where 852 is my max_brightness.

So clearly screen-blanking is not the culprit.

Doing the same on another machine (Lenovo Yoga with 3.8.12 and E24) suspends fine and (only) wakes up on lid close/open with these messages:

SSS: systemd said to prepare for sleep! bool=1 @220274.25602859
SSS: systemd said to prepare for sleep! bool=0 @220278.56221303
SSS: sys resume @ 220278.56318186
SSS: sys resume2 @ 220279.16368903

Something I rarely get to see on the Thinkpad.

So I think I'll wait a while and test some more before reporting this behaviour as a bug.