E16 Elive derivative system

Due to the (few people) need to have a lighter system, and the (few people) interest on having an OS using e16 as desktop, I’m thinking into create a derivative version (or “special version”) of Elive using E16 as desktop.

But then this should be not considered like a normal Elive system, this is why I want to make it somewhat a different project / subversion / derivative / special version, otherwise it could confuse the “what is Elive” concept, e16 is not only a different desktop with similar features as the one that we have, but it also has a different way of work, this means that you may have a 10% of missing “elive features” (speculating)

By naming it as a different project it could be good to separate the OS concept into a different one, but will have a negative impact in the amount of users and “known” of the distro, like starting from zero. If is made like a “special version” of Elive should be clearly named differently (imho) and this will make everything much easier

What’s your opinion?

• Different project
  • Just as a “Elive special version”

0 voters

What you preffer?

• Featured like Elive & same applications
  • Small base of the desktop and nothing more, so the user should customize everything

0 voters

Tell your opinions & suggestions on this thread :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Memory (resources) usage comparison of Enlightenment

Different project. Because I think it will be double the work (two repo, second forum, and so on) but it should be easier to let evolve by another userbase, if this will happen.
As you often explaining, a lot of Elive Features are ‘as is’ and hard to port (to 64bit and so on). So the approach ‘Just enough OS for E16’ is a pretty good one … Everything else will come over time.

1 Like

It seems e16 is still being actively maintained, from what I have seen on enlightenment.org. There is even a ‘repository’ of e16 themes, or a collection of them. I think there are enough resources working on “retro” stuff-- there is an existing github for it, even, if one is keen on pursuing this.
Maybe have three themes with elive out-of-the-box (detourious, silk/Black and White, and Lucax) so that there are choices once e17 is installed? Just a thought…

0 Likes

Good news: I’m implementing a feature in the boot (similar to in old versions of Elive) on which you can select your preffered Enlightenment experience :happy_dance:

0 Likes

Memory (resources) usage comparison of Enlightenment
Why Enlightenment 17 when there's newer versions?