Elive 3.0.0 installation feedback

yes and no, there are rare cases of buggy cards (drivers) which doesn't works correctly the hardware acceleration for enlightenment (even if the GL is working correctly), the known ones are already blacklisted in evas (only the known ones). So it is always good to give the opportunity to the user to select if use it or not, in case that the default option not work

What you say about "preconfigured and no point in asking the user..." is just what the checkbox does, preconfigure it and the user only needs to click in "continue", informing also about "if you have any problem try the other option..."

this is much better than restricting a small % of users to not being able to use elive because of a static configuration that they cannot change before the desktop starts

yes, popups are annoying, questions too... but allowing them to be selected at the first configuration of the system (not in every boot / start of the desktop) allows the user to have his elive system configured and running correctly (problem is, asking these questions at every startup)

about the black screen:

is strange that was going to black but anyways it is disabled even more in the config now and not asking for presentation too

I will try to improve that in the future, by other side if they accidentally clicks in encryption it is a good thing... everybody should have encryption by default, just think about traveling with your laptop and you lose it or they robs you, anybody can access to your hard disk or simply the browser and have access to all your data, i mean, just run a browser with that user's conf and you can directly enter on his email, facebook, and banks, and if it asks for any password just click in "i have forget the password" and it will be sent to the email of that person that you have already opened

Im just shocked about why windows is not encrypted by default, nor offering the option too aparently, and in a small research on internet i dont have found anything to encrypt the disk in windows... so i never go out of the house with the laptop with windows, maybe a solution is to buy a self-destruction device attached to that laptop in case is lost...that can be billionaire business; "make your windows secure"

1 Like

I experienced problem with Ubuntu when choosing encryption on one of my laptop, and tend to not activate it anymore for " my Desktop at home".

May be one day I will re-install my Elive Desktop and turn on encryption. ā€¦ OOPS I am sure I can encrypt my home partition once installed, I could in Ubuntuā€¦ 2nd tough, by using entire d isk when installing Elive, I think I only have one paritionā€¦

whatā€™s the command Than to encrypt my Elive, once already installed ? I can googleā€¦

JF

nope you can't

the installer creates an encrypted layer and on it, the partitions, you cannot "change" them to encrypted, better to reinstall and copy your user's files back to the new system

if this is a tower computer, unless you are a secret agent that's not very needed, but if is a laptop i strongly suggest to encrypt the disk

by other side there's other encryption features / tools, that can allow this, but is more like an ugly hack that modify's or redirects the files i think, it can work, i dont know.. elive just encrypts everything (even the swap partition, which is needed for security reasons, not accessing some possible personal information when shutdown the computer)

2 Likes

I just donā€™t get the 3 installed. I get to the point where it gives me choice to choose desktop with acceleration or not. It doesnā€™t matter which I choose after a while the screen goes first grey squares, then after a while black, and then lighter squares (which I think is desktop) but not seeing anything else than this texture. I have now tried old kernel install, graphical problem, live, safe mode and now with open drivers only. The console only mode gets me to console but there was no easy instructions how to start installer there and choose some graphic support for older machines. I saw in one post a script by thanatermesis that could probably help, using E16 and there was something else but I havenā€™t been able to find the topic anymore where he posted it. And just now the open driver install did the same, ligh squares the whole screen and soon there comes this full power horn sound from my machine (donā€™t know what that is). I have now asked help in different topics but not yet got help. Iā€™m at home sick and have been now trying this many days so a bit frustrated.

I now went in console install to /usr/sbin and started as root eliveinstaller which says it is 3.0.3.

• unable to connect to Dbus via su -c
  • zenity and yad GTK warnings cannot open display
  • unable to get mountpoint for /dev/sda2
    -trapped signal: ā€œ0ā€ from ā€˜verify_resultā€™ in lines ā€˜2386 955 2024ā€™
  • E: user cancel a dialog to exit the installer

And then back to beginning with blinking cursor

Hum, I was suspecting about ECORE_NO_VSYNC=1 option before to start the graphical system, but if you tried the failsafe mode (graphical problems) it should have been included too

E17 is delicated thing, its graphical libraries are much more complex than e16, let's see what happens in next versions

So you should start the graphical system and then install, you can try this but i dont think that it works:

export ECORE_NO_VSYNC=1
startx

Also, note that if you are unable ot make the graphical system work correctly on Live mode it stills useless to install it (it will happen the same)

Yes you need the graphical system for run the install, you can eventually do it without enlightenment 17 and maybe install later e16 (wich is not so supported / featured but could make it to work?), for that you can:

startx /usr/bin/urxvt

It will start a graphical system with only a terminal (no graphical system), from it you should run:

sudo eliveinstaller-wrapper

And the installation could begin and should finish correctly. Make sure to select "no" when asking for autologin, otherwise e17 will be start automatically instead of the login manager, ending in the "squares" problem again, if you don't see this option you should, after to have installed the system, mount the partition where is installed Elive and edit the file like /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf, and comment the line saying autologin-user=YOUR

USERNAME

1 Like