Elive Retro

Just did a first superficial (VirtualBox) run of retro-Beta.

It rocks :happy_dance: but ......
There's a thing that definitely needs changing:
The icons on the E16 'left-click' menu.

For consistency: Either no icons at all (maybe dots, diamands or bullits) or the same icons as on cairo-dock.

Didn't noticed that :thinking: but yeah maybe no icons can look better with e16-theme-retrowave for consistency, unfortunately I don't see the option to disable icons on the e16 configuration "section menus" (but you can define the size of the icons), nor in the theme

Maybe this is a feature that should be requested on E16 dev

And of course, just to thank the Patrons community (which unfortunately they don't receive news in months!)...

I mucked with those icons for the 'gtk-light-theme' (It's been a while :smile_cat: )......I'll have a look if I can get some results for that.
Maybe using an 'eesh' scripts or such. :thinking:

I've created a .zsync download on my server. It isn't very fast but will do for now.
It's over https so will require 'zsync_curl'. Something like this:

zsync_curl -i elive_3.8.30_beta_hybrid_amd64.iso https://triantares.ddns.net/Elive/downloads/elive_3.8.32__EliveRetro__beta01__hybrid_amd64.iso/elive_3.8.32__EliveRetro__beta01__hybrid_amd64.iso.zsync
1 Like

quote="triantares, post:24, topic:3284"]
I mucked with those icons for the 'gtk-light-theme' (It's been a while :smile_cat: )......I'll have a look if I can get some results for that.
[/quote]

Alright, going back down memory lane:

The icons can be altered in .e16 but will be 'generated' back to the old style by the 'e_gen_menu' perl script.
That scours (among others) .desktop files for their icons (humm, that's going to get messy. :confused: ) and or the icon themes in '/usr/share/icons' ...... specifically the following themes:

$Themes = "gnome:Paper:MeliaeSVG:Meliae:elementary:Elementary:Faenza:Adwaita:hicolor:default:kde";

So obviously there's the entry we might have the most success with in changing the icon theme in the menu.
Maybe just keeping 'default' and the various 'candy' subsets :thinking:

Or we set an own specific retro icon theme that contains only one icon (i.e diamond, bullit or dot)

addendum

Well tried that and doesn't work i.e the menu 'only' generates the .desktop icons.
Not so strange as the icons in use by Retro are .svg files where the e16-menu requires bitmaps. :confused:

BTW,
2 bugs:

• 'elive-ai' is extremely obnoxious in insisting to keep on popping up. :face_vomiting: It needs a 'Cancel' (exit 0) option.
  • Starting 'vokoscreenNG' kills X and logs you out.

Trying out the live version only have 2 comments:

1. Closing the "let's play some retrowave music!" window opens up mpv and plays it anyway. That shouldn't happen. I don't need music while installing Elive. Make a cancel button, and make the close button work too. (Both need to be there for intuitiveness)
  2. Chrome uses some commercial adblocker I've never heard of before. I'd suggest uBlock Origin, but it's been hampered by the Manifest v3 requirement. (On the other hand, this adblock extension probably has the same limitation.) I'd look into uBlock Origin Lite, which does support Manifest v3.
1 Like

Also the installer's popups are annoying. I'd love it if we could make it a singular window. The installer grabbing focus every three seconds is annoying.

Yeah, but that isn't Retro specific to be honest.

My installer offered firefox by default which is good enough iMO.

Sure, but live mode only has Chrome.

By the way, the upgrade mode broke my system. (Grub "file not found" error) I suspect the installer didnt recognise my separate root and home partitions. I'll probably have to fix it soon. :confused:

I installed in VirtualBox but I need to keep this 'elive-ai' pop-up just sit there. It keeps coming back on log-in.
Not everyone of my installs require me to be a 'chatGPT' lab-rat.

Or go through about 7 pop-ups before they go away using 'cancel' at last....next log-in it's there again. :face_vomiting:

Another bug:
Going into 'admin mode' in 'thunar' crashes X

Was trying to rerun the upgrade mode in case the install just didn't succeed as a fluke (the computer shut off before any confirmation message - I just assumed it was done), but now the installer doesn't even recognise anything as an Elive install... so the upgrade mode can't be run anymore. Please help @Thanatermesis

Also the "Cancel" button has never worked in the installer on progress messages. I'd either fix that or remove the button.

yes of course, the live mode is a predefined build, if the user wants to change to another browser needs to install Elive. On the other hand this can be also solved too using the Persistence mode (remove chrome, install firefox)

mmh let me check that, fortunately I have received your installation report logs

its fixed on the last version of it (untested), try to update it and ping me if stills broken

hum... not in live mode (tested), try to search more info about this (xorg logs? dmesg logs? etc), also, which "sudo" options you used for your user when creating it?

yes, this is because your previous install failed, since you didn't do a "first sucessfull boot" of your installed system, elive doesn't offers you the option to upgrade-mode it (for security is not recommended to do that with a broken system), but let me first check what can have happened on your side (logs) and we will find a solution for sure, just don't mess up the actual state with a new installation :slight_smile:

@TheTechRobo your system seems to have 3 HD's, grub seems to have been installed in UEFI mode into the EFI partition of your NVME disk... this means that if your computer is booting from your SDA, it will not load the boot of your NVME (by default), this is normal because seems like you don't have any "boot system" on your SDA so the installer used the EFI partition of your NVME one (if there was more than 1, it will have asked you which one to boot from), in other words: try to boot your computer with the "boot menu bios" key to select the other disk :thinking: -- let's continue this installation-failed topic from the IRC chat better to not flood the forum

note: all the other details that i have not answered I have noted them and I will check them asap

I'm not having that ..... so might be something else there. :smiley14:

Just released a toot on fostodon.org ...... I'm off twitter so someone else might want to do that. :thinking:

1 Like

I figured it out. It happens when you click 'X' without deselecting anything... or maybe it was just a fluke that one time, I have no idea. :face_with_head_bandage:

Removed the cancel button by adding the --no-cancel option into the "please wait" dialogs (atoms / frogs / grog / etc, ones)

Tell me if you see other dialogs which needs it to be removed too (include the exact message it shows, so i can grep easily the code to see where it is)

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Network in 3.8.32 Retro

Looks like we have a serious contender when it comes down to looks and icons:

They make ample use of 'yad' (they don't ... 'yad' conks-out on GTK) and it looks gorgeous (albeit the really cool stuff is in C and Qt).

Even allowing to alter settings in a GUI

• I can't stress enough on how important it is to give users quick and easy access to stuff like this.

So if @Thanatermesis does fall under a bus ..... I'll certainly be having a look there. Albeit it is arch based and I will sorely miss all the hidden little things that he does to make this Elive so cool.

1 Like