Proofreading English using Eltrans

well, our way of improving english requires good knowledge of a second language...(need to reverse engineer google translate)

Ah, ok. No worries

The google translate method seems like a good idea for people who’s first language isn’t English, but I’m wondering why a native speakers brain isn’t as good as if not better than a fairly flakey translation application. My kids speak Welsh and English, and our experience of it is not super accurate and grammatically problematic. Just me opinion. Peace.

1 Like

I think a native speaker proof-reading is of utmost importance. The Google-translate trick is just that: A trick to help out for non-native speakers.
And this so called "reverse engineering" is just another trick to catch out some of the flakiness.

So if you would want to proof-read, please do. It's the old FOSS thought:

• Many eyes make for shallow bugs.

Cool. Do I do that via eltrans? Because I don’t have the correct perms.

Or is there another way? GitHub or something?

As written in the Swedish system "translations", yes and no. You can download the .po files and translate them. But you can't upload them, so you have to provide it to anyone with an account (here are some contributors in the forum).

Translation files for eltrans can be found at: eltrans in translations – Elive Development
Other translations are hidden in the parent folder, see translations – Elive Development

I would start with 'en.pot' instead of 'default.pot'. Anyone feel free to correct me, if this is wrong.

1 Like

Keep calm and carry on. :smiley14:
"eltrans" is under heavy construction at the moment. I'm sure once it's up and running as it should (which in itself is quite a feat) people will be able to join easily.

Oh, I thought it was done. I had an email from @Thanatermesis about using it to translate. No worries, I thought it was good to go.

It's designed for it being good for translation (verifying that it sounds ok in a different language), not for grammar and proofreading...but I agree, it's not the greatest strategy (most people aren't bilingual!)

At least, that's what I understand from it.

1 Like

all the instructions are updated on Eltrans: How to improve the English sentences in Elive (proofreading)

1 Like

Thanks, I thought it’d make more sense to just proof read and send the file as I did yesterday as @triantares suggested, but I understand if you want to stick to people using a different language and google translate, as that’s the process you’ve chosen. It doesn’t really make sense to me, it doesn’t seem logical or effective having edited the file I sent, but I respect your decision. Peace :v:

My Eltrans error message -
Sorry! At the moment only a few people is allowed to correct the original messages in English. We do this to simply ensure the best quality of the messages for the Elive applications. You can found more info about this topic in our Forums.

Googles tranlates Enlgish to English Eltrans error message -
Sorry! At the moment only a few people is allowed to correct the original messages in English. We do this to simply ensure the best quality of the messages for the Elive applications. You can found more info about this topic in our Forums.

My edited Eltrans error message -
Sorry! At the moment only a few people are allowed to correct the original English messages. We do this to ensure that messages for Elive applications are of the best quality. You can find more info about this topic on our Forums.

Just saying
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I don’t have much work on the next two days. If you want to give me Eltrans perms for English editing, now is the time. I’m happy to start with the installer en.po via Eltrans, as I’ve already done this on a downloaded copy, and work my way through. If not that’s cool too, but the offer is there. I won’t offer again. :slightly_smiling_face:

Good that you had a look at the installer texts ...... I suspect almost every third sentence has some sort of mistake in it. It's been a bugging me for quite some time too. :face_with_head_bandage:
I too tried "eltrans" (found it cumbersome/clumsy and never got further than awaiting permission) and simply gave up frustrated.
At that time eltrans admittedly was totally defunct but having only @Thanatermesis (who, as always is over burdened) as the sole controller is not an easy path to success. :shocked:

1. Especially considering @Thanatermesis (lack of) capabilities in regard to English, a native speaker taking over the oversight/proofreading could be a bonus to the overall word-choice/grammar in programs and on the website.
  2. The easiest way for someone who is not a programmer, to contribute is to help out with translations and grammar ...... there should be no threshold whatsoever there, only peer review to ultimately decide what gets used or not.
1 Like

I entirely agree with All of that. I guess it’s difficult to let go of full control of a pet project despite this impeding progress and preventing a “professional” finish. Without meaning to sound unkind, it doesn’t help build a community, which is kind of the idea behind the FOSS philosophy :slightly_smiling_face: No hard feelings here though. Peace and love and all that.

Edit - might I add this seems to be quite a common problem, so as not to be seen to be singling out Elive or @Thanatermesis

1 Like

I don't think it's solely that. I suspect that it's a case of a programmer looking for programming solutions out of habit. :smiley14:

1 Like

Good point, I didn’t think about it like that.

May we could take a look at your precious work? Could you attach the edeited file her?

Again, it's a reverse-engineering trick, e.g. French to English, but @Thanatermesis really needs to allow more people to translate

1 Like

To allow more people on the translation, at first a concept should be in place. If everyone is translating on their own, it could go very wrong.

• What are the main points?
  • What languages needs most improvement (Depends on the available staff)
  • What modules needs most translation?
  • What Modules are similar? So we can do mostly two at once?
  • How to translate/check for beginners?

I'm used to translate huge projects from different languages to German, even for 10000+ companies. Because there was never a concept, I've done 80% of the work (20% from Google translator where good). My team was too much into discussion of the functions and had no time to do the translation.
I think the function and the translation are connected, like the function name schema.

Don't let the huge company issues get in here, if we can avoid it. The .po-files are free available via git.

1. Use the Software
  2. Search the sentence in the module/.po
  3. Try to translate it better and see if there is more in the file
  4. Upload the file (f.ex. here in the forum)
  5. Let us check together
  6. Then somebody with the rights can copy and paste it in the system.

And if somebody does a lot translation and want to translate direct, the discussion about the rights could be started per individual.

Just my idea. I don't think everybody will agree.

1 Like