Hard hang while installing grub on UEFI (forced by bios) system

I have this shitty Acer ES15 (celeron,4gb,intelHDgpu) laptop which has a annoying bios that doesn't know legacy boot modes anymore. While installing elive on it i get a hard hang (everything just stops.mouse/kb does nothing.only way to recover 10sec powerbuttonboot) at the end of the installation :
I: Building Grub configuration
I: GRUB in EGI mode
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.

Tried automatic partition mode and made partitions also manually. And tried making just one partition and ignoring about the warnings that you need EFI partition. I latter case it installed ok, but machine couldn't boot naturally.

Only hdd is a 128gb SSD.

I also ran the installer directly from console with root priviledges while simultaneously monitoring /var/log/messages for anything helpfull, but i get nothing in the log concerning the crash.

Any ideas i could throw to the installer? Maybe tell it to skip the grub installing and do it manually afterwards? of course at this point the system is mostly ready and i'm now starting to see if i can get something done after a new reboot to the liveusb. So far i've tried 3.8.2 , 3.8.7 , 3.8.8 64bit images.

In live mode elive runs pretty well on this laptop so it's going to get the whole machine to itself :slight_smile:
Earlier i did an elive install to Lenovo T450 which has also winsloth10 installed. That went rather well. Had to do some trickery to the hdd, but then all went well.

1 Like

Replying to myself, i'm happy to inform that i got the damn thing manually working.

Booted to shell with the livestick. using this approach:

sudo su
cd /
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt #root partition
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi #efi partition
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
modprobe efivars
efibootmgr --verbose
apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi-amd64
grub-install —no-nvram —root-directory=/mnt
chroot /mnt
update-grub
cd /boot/efi/EFI
cp -R debian BOOT
cd BOOT
cp grubx64.efi bootx64.efi
exit
sync
reboot

Earlier i got the same hang up when after chrooting to /mnt i ran
grub-install /dev/sda
Well that was wrong approach. So is the elive installer using this since it
hangs and could it be improved with this solution?

1 Like

Hello!

Please excuse this private off topic, but: Amiiiiiggaaaaaa!!!!! (& MorphOS!) :wink:

Salutations!

1 Like

It all comes down to the efi partition as I understand your machine doesn't support "legacy" anymore.... a simple grub wont suffice.
OTOH, having the option of "legacy" is compulsory on intel driven mainboards ..... so if, indeed it isn't available (frankly, I have some doubts on the "anymore" there), you might try to upgrade the bios/firmware to the latest version the manufacturer offers.
A bios/firmware upgrade generally requires a CD/DVD boot method (not flashdisk) and works the same as any installer you've used before. :smile_cat:

Isn't "Legacy" sooo "last year" (as a matter of speaking), considering the fact that technology has advanced so much. I got a Z840 and configured that just UEFI and installed Elive 3.8.2 making a 260MB Fat32 part for grub and that worked; running it as we speak (write).

BIOS is the latest that Acer offers for that model.
*-firmware
description: BIOS
vendor: Insyde Corp.
physical id: 0
version: V1.19
date: 12/13/2018
size: 128KiB
capacity: 4608KiB
capabilities: pci upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect edd int13floppynec int13floppytoshiba int13floppy360 int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int9keyboard int10video acpi usb biosbootspecification uefi

I did read somewhere few weeks ago that it might be possible to get the legacy boot option if you downgrade the bios to the very first version that the laptop had. Though after reading the changelogs i did decide still to try with this newest one.

Indeed. Amiga never dies! :stuck_out_tongue:
Goes offtopic, but you have both? I have Peg2 & Powerbook G4. And A1200/030 and towered A1200/060@64Mhz with Voodoo3 etc. Plus a couple of A500's.

Legacy has its uses and it's proven to work. I'm usually sceptical to new stuff that only aims to make things closed and unusable.

I did try partitioning the drive myself and also did try automatic mode many times. Installer did everything well up until the point where the machine hung this laptop. After that i manually got the machine to boot. So i'm thinking i'll next look at the installer myself and see what it does. When time permits. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep!

Peg', Powerbook, Efika, A1200PPC/Blizzard, A400PPC/cybervision, A1260, A2000... :slight_smile:

Amigan'salutations!

Impressive collection as well! Utilizing Powerbooks was a really good move from MorphOS makers. Although i do also use FS-UAE when on the road to satisfy homesickness :slight_smile:

But now...more work to do.

1 Like