How to be a Mirror for Elive

New mirror added in Poland, thanks to @nicram :happy_dance: this will improve a lot the download speeds from europe! haha :happy: :happybounce:

How to check if this mirror is the one selected for you: https://www.elivecd.org/downloads/mirrorcheck/

4 Likes

Very important for people to see - who knows, they might have a VPS they can help with!

Problem is that i cannot grant 24/7 uptime.
Technically, the computer is up 24/7.
Practically, i was running a demo of a webapp for a customer on it as a fallback server and when the main server failed (provider's fault) there has been a blackout in my hometown so my server went down too :laughing:
And damn! How to overcome such problem?
Moreover @Thanatermesis, what about making a container for docker that provides all the settings you'd need for a mirror? Maybe making the setup easier would make people more willing to share some of their server resources for the project!

1 Like

Great idea! Welcome back @stoppy98!

1 Like

Thank you... It's been such a busy time i did not even realize how much time i've been away...
Everyone complaining that with pandemic there is nothing to do, me complaining i've never had so much to do D: (moreover everything got overcomplicated so...)

1 Like

Yeah, I agree, Never been so my busy for a long time.....excepting the time our kids were just born.:madness:

Nice to hear from you again @stoppy98 ..... you prolly got quite a number of good photographs to share. :smiley_cat:

I wish I did!
Had no occasion since 31th of October 2020...
With the pandemic going on i almost never left my house.
Just a few portraits of a friend, she was a great model but I don't know how much enjoyable these pictures could be :sweat_smile:
I actually did upload already my latest great pics!

Thanks to @A504Vet , we have a new mirror for the ISOs located in Miami, as you know the downloading of mirror of the isos is always selected based on your geolocation as you can see on https://www.elivecd.org/downloads/mirrorcheck

Thanks again a lot! Steve :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hey guys
I was wondering that is it possible to use Github pages since they will take care of everything and since we don't expect them to be down any time soon, I'm suggesting that we can host elive ISO files there

Hey, welcome tot he forum! :smiley14:

I'm not sure if that'd be considered abuse.
Plus, the ISOs would not be able to be viewed publicly, and you need to store the stuff in a github repo, which would be public or if you had github pro, can be public.
But the main bottleneck(s): 1. Rsync doesn't work, 2. GitHub only allows 500MB per push, which is a fraction of te size of the main ISO

Nice idea though, hadn't thought of that one ... would've been nice if the 500MB per push limit wasn't there...

WAIT!

Is there a time-out for GitHub Actions?
We could just push an empty commit to the repository and GitHub Actions could download the stuff from a private server. We could put it as a public repo, using github secrets that would have thhe urls to download from, and authenticatio
Remember - GitHub Actions uses Jekyll, which needs GitHub Actions!

Updates:

• We have now 2 more mirrors (which was pretty needed):
  • The howto has ben shrinked a lot to what originally was written, I'm sure there's many people which didn't wanted to make the mirror after to see how long it was the howto originally lol
  • Elive-for-servers supports automatic creation of a mirror :slight_smile: already tested with these 2 previous mirrors, automating all the process in a fast and single shot
2 Likes

Well, the new feature in elive-for-servers made it take like 10 minutes, so no worries!

Actual mirrors available for Elive: https://www.elivecd.org/downloads/mirrorcheck