Howto install firefox 66 in Elive 3.0

Anybody willing to contribute? I thought a drop-in untar would work, similar to the previous HOWTO, but I think I'm missing a step or two, that links the libraries, or whatever.

I could now start a VirtualBox, install an Elive, download FF 66 (with 1,6Mbit/s) and untar it, start the install script and look what will happen.
But this is on my system, with my environment … It would be helpful to see hat you’ve done and what is your output.

Actually that version of Firefox is completely 64 bit and will not run on 32 bit. If you get it to run at all [I did get 62 to run on elive but never managed to replicate it on other machines :face_with_raised_eyebrow:] it will want to upgrade itself all the time i.e on startup it looks for newer versions … thus slowing it down tremendously.
Alas this cannot be changed in “preferences” it can only be forced to “ask” every time…be aware that this is set to “download automatically and upgrade in the background” by default.

If you do accidentally upgrade your firefox, it wont work anymore [again] as it expects a 64bit environment.

Thanks for your input! And you answered my question about the 'nagging to update'

Note: topic has been moved to a more correct category / section :slight_smile:

Is there going to be a firefox upgrade for 3.0.6 stable?

It is hard to use the more up to date plugins and themes with 52.8.0 firefox.

Long answer short: NO :shocked:

Firefox has stopped supporting 32bit in their later versions but you can always use chromium, palemoon and/or torbrowser .... all of which are mozilla based and do still support 32bit.

I think I saw a i686 binary version of the latest firefox.

I think they now also upgrade firefox as well automaticly.

Of course there is the source code that can be used to compile for 32 bit.
I think it would be good to have the latest version of firefox asap

here is a download link for firefox source code
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/78.2.0esr/source/firefox-78.2.0esr.source.tar.xz

To compile it see this BLFS link.

here is some erata about it in BLFS:-

In firefox, the dependency on clang from LLVM was missed. The bindgen processing for rust to C++ needs this even if gcc and g++ are used for the non-rust compilation.
see this link:-

Chrom* is mozilla based? This is news to me

You're right chromium is chrome based, as is Opera.