Install Vivaldi in Elive 3.0

Good day, i successfully installed elive 3.16 , however finding difficult to install vivaldi.
the error is related to a dependency : which states that
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libc6 (>=2.15)
How can i overcome this error message and install vivaldi successfully

thank you
Abdul

I didn’t tried Vivaldi, but if you never tried it, give a try to Opera, very fast and run very well on ELive

As for Vivaldi, I’ll leave the answer to someone else

JF

That's due to the lack of such library in debian wheezy.
Here's the walkaround:

i don't think you should use sid, though, probably just using a jessie repository would do the job.
Since i do not have a clear idea of how elivecd repos are organized, just do something like this:

mkdir ~/Documents/elive_repos
mv /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* ~/Documents /elive_repos/
nano /etc/apt/sources.list

add these lines to the file:

deb http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

Moveout of X11, so open a terminal (ctrl+alt+f1) and kill lightdm (or whatever your desktop manager is)

/etc/init.d/lightdm stop

then update apt and install the needed library updates:

apt-get update
apt-get install libc6 libc6-dev libc6-dbg

in case you corss graded elive you can use lib6-amd64, but if you cross graded it i don't think you need me to tell you eheheh
At this point reboot your computer, delete /etc/apt/sources.list and bring everything to the status quo:

rm /etc/apt/sources.list
mv ~/Documents/elive_repos/* /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
rmdir ~/Documents/elive_repos
apt-get update

I DID NOT TRY THIS, and i do not know if @Thanatermesis modded libc6 too, so this may brick your system (which, luckily, is not such a big deal with elive! i broke it in any way possible, however i always just reinstalled it in upgrade mode and i never lost any app nor personal file :wink: )

1 Like

Special thanks to stoppy98. i managed to successfully install vivaldi.
this is what i did.

followed the steps as below

mkdir ~/Documents/elive_repos
mv /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* ~/Documents /elive_repos/
nano /etc/apt/sources.list

add these lines to the file:

deb http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

Moveout of X11, so open a terminal (ctrl+alt+f1) and kill lightdm (or whatever your desktop manager is)

/etc/init.d/lightdm stop

then update apt and install the needed library updates:

apt-get update
apt-get install libc6 libc6-dev libc6-dbg

then installed vivaldi as i had downloaded the recent deb package earlier

dpkg -i [downloaded vivaldi package.deb]

then bring elive to status quo…

rm /etc/apt/sources.list
mv ~/Documents/elive_repos/* /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
rmdir ~/Documents/elive_repos
apt-get update

Thanks a lot and i am now posting this from vivaldi.

1 Like

That’s great! I wasn’t sure it would have worked actually… This means we can solve most users problems which are often times related to libc!!!
In case you notice any problem, though, please tell us!

Amazing! :slight_smile: but yeah, upgrading such essential package like libc6 can lead to a ton of problems, segfaults / crashings for example, or applications that doesn’t works, so it is entirely “up to the user’s risk” to try it. Could be nice if @awasim tells us if had or not problems like that after upgrading libc6 :thinking:

Fortunately the Elive installer has special features where you can simply reinstall (upgrade mode) and in 15 minutes you have your system back and clean like before, let’s say, it is extremely handy and good to play as much as you want (or you can test things in live mode) :rainbowyay:

maybe that's why i occasionally destroy my system eheh
luckily there is the solution:

Hello stoppy,
how do you mean - what did you do ??

Am blond.... :flushed:

When installing elive, the installer asks if you want to proceed in upgrade mode... at the end of the installation you'll boot directly into the os as it was supposed to be

note: Some people complains about the uglyness of the installer or that doesn't has "back" steps, but no one distro has an installer with such features like these ones lol. In fact, why we should care? (yes it can be improved a bit but...) you only have a few steps to follow in the installer, pretty smart/automated too, and after that, you don't need to use it again lol

1 Like

:cowboy_hat_face:

thanx for the head up :wink: