Interfaces, UX, and design brainstorm

So? we are in testing too, aren't we. :rofl2:
go get the source
I can,t. Only got my Jolla along to Austria. Just left Munchen.

cant install this ppa anymore

And what about ElementaryOS' Pantheon filemanager?
Its supposed to be the next itteration of Marlin and built on latest Ubuntu.

BTW Do NOT add their ppa (or any other 3rd party ppa, unless you're very very sure!

Ubuntu ppa's cause trouble 9/10 here.

Just download the package and install it manually.

Forget about it

:face_vomiting:

1 Like

Sorry for my brevity now and then.
clunky network (or none) and small virt keyboard on my Jolla.
Just left Salzburg, Austrian local train has excellent wifi. :dance:

have you already tried plan9 ? :slight_smile: How to use Plan9 in Linux - that's an experience from other planet! (and it has very unique features)

Suggestion: we should change this thread to the Designs category ?

hum, looks good, I will test it in the future
also "pcmanfm" is a nice similar thunar (much lighter) alternative :thinking:

Agreed.
But keep in mind, that it needs (own) extensions to work properly, like network support (Samba) and root access.
In comparison to Thunar is it more attractive because of the double-window feature.

BTW im totally in favour of "new usability / interfaces / UX" researches and possible future implementations :slight_smile:

1 Like

Then bring Marlin back to live
or find someone who can do it!
Then you would really have a world-unique OS....

I have tho it's been a long time. I've still got that CD somewhere. It had a very weird mascotte.
Couldn't hurt to test it again, IIRC it also had a strange wallpaper that sort of divided the screen in two. :thinking:

Agreed, I wasn't sure enough if it would generate enough interest. so gave it this test run first. Prolly best to open it to all. Hive mind could be good here.

I prefer that too, actually. Tho cannot remember if it had a builtin search feature. I think thats a cool feature.

you can run it directly in your elive 3.0 desktop, no virtualized, just like a normal app / window :eyepopping:

1 Like

Hello!

Some interesting points in Plan9... Specially for networks...
As an Amigan, I'm obliged to say "Directory Opus" "Ambient" "MorphOS"... And the mouse, magnified by Amiga ! :wink:
But it's true that it's really possible to make better than the mouse; Currently, I use a mini keyboard with trackball that is usable quite like a game pad and nice, except for writing more than some letters or use soft that needs "real keyboard" as Blender...
An telling about Blender, when I see what is possible with a simple camera in this soft, I think very possible, not necessary with big hardware (even a limited Pi Zero), to use the more-and-more integrated (web)cameras as user interface...
Graphic tablets can be very good too, but I feel that their preferences should be extended (for now, I always had to mix with mouse for a reason or an other)... (And not cheap as can be a mouse)
6d mouse can be a good way, with an adapted desktop (but expensive); Joystick could be too in same case and eventually cheap...
Voice comes possible and contact (non invasive) cerebral sensors too.........

....to be continued....

Salutations!

1 Like

Never buy cheap utensils, you plan to use often.
Like the man said: If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. :rofl2:

Hello!

-Yes, but a 6d mouse, a camera with integrated artificial neurons... can be very expensive! I buy my 6d Spacenavigator mouse (the simplest one) some years ago when Poseïdon, the usb stack for MorphOS, was knowing it (but needs again a driver), and when I had a bit of money left...
-Yes, it's cause I recently buy, in three second hands parts, my M6700 & its Nvidia and have to heat mainly spirulina and bread for a month... :wink:

As interfaces, it's possible as well to deal with very light but efficient partial gloves or pseudo-gloves...

I have many things in head this way, but nowadays without even a minimal workshop, I can't strait go forth... And I have to come back to coding, where I was not so bad as student (specially in complex Grafcet things) but didn't touch it since long time... :frowning:

Salutations!

related about rare interfaces:

:wink:

2 Likes

yeah, I hear you!! :madness:

Years ago I bought an A3 wacom tablet over serial connection. Cost me the current equivalent of $1000,- , which really hurt for a long long time.
Now it's not supported anymore :angry: though there is a site that explains how to solder it to USB.

but then, my first 2 speed CDrom over parport cost me $500,-. Gahhh!

Computer hardware doesn't actually have a lifespan that allows an acceptable investment plan.
Can you believe a PC I bought in 1999 still shows up in my book keeping as tax deductable. :rofl2:

1 Like

Don't remind me
how much I spent over the years on hardware.
Just one aspect could make you Imagine:
I owned nearly every Mac model at least once.... :face_vomiting:

1 Like

BTW, Elive had an amazing UX experience in the first versions using the Evidence file manager, did you ever tried it? Evidence -- enlightened file-manager

I tried to use it, years ago. It sure was beautiful. I wanted to love it, but it blew my mind. So different. Wasn't ready...maybe I'll explore again...for now, Nemo and Thunar...

unfortunately it was not ready and it never went, its last release is from 2005 and I don't think that it even compiles right now

beautiful and blowing mind :nod: