Kodi(XBMC) Install Help

I have been trying to figure out how to update the XBMC to the latest Kodi.
I have tried using the teminal but I keep getting errors.

If anyone could help me out it would be great.

Thanks.

Share the terminal output

Maybe we should explain, that Elive is not based on the latest packages. Because Kodi is using some modern stuff to extend it compatibility (CEC, Transcoding, HTML5 Viewer…). it could be difficult to get these two things under one roof. See also Projects like OpenELEC or LibereELEC, which are using not the latest Kodi because of this (and some minor other) reason.
Doing a little googleing, there is a HowTo from old times: My HTPC project: Install Kodi (XBMC) on Debian 7 (Wheezy) server … Since it is written in 2015, I am not sure the repository exist anymore. But the issues should be nearly the same.
Beside that, the use of unknown 3rd party repositories is not recommended. with every additional source in you are giving an unknown person root-access to your system. And you are not able to verify the content of the scripts. Be careful!

My suggestion: More RAM in your system. Using VirtualBox and install LibreELEC. If you want the latest Kodi, using the BETA.

If You are willing to getting the painful way of learning:

These is only my recommended way. If you don’t agree, please just ignore me.

Best regards

I want to Thank You both for the help you have giving me.
I went and got an android box so I will just set it up on there.

Damn. Now I have to do it by myself … I’ve hoped you are going though the long journey though cryptic compiler errors, playing hide-and-seek with dependencies and the tears of joy at the finish-line.

But for ‘just want it to work’ your decision is right.

At first you’ll should install git:
apt install git
than I recommend a extra folder for git projects.
mkdir ~/git; cd ~/git
Now you can download the Kodi (former XBMC) repository:
git clone git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
you don’t know what happen in the repo … so do a little cleanup:
git clean -xfd; git reset --hard; git pull --rebase

Now do a little googleing, and find: only ubuntu is official supported … The depencies are:

sudo apt install automake autopoint bison build-essential ccache cmake curl cvs default-jre fp-compiler gawk gdc gettext git-core gperf libasound2-dev libass-dev libavcodec-dev libavfilter-dev libavformat-dev libavutil-dev libbluetooth-dev libbluray-dev libbluray1 libboost-dev libboost-thread-dev libbz2-dev libcap-dev libcdio-dev libcec-dev libcec1 libcrystalhd-dev libcrystalhd3 libcurl3 libcurl4-gnutls-dev libcwiid-dev libcwiid1 libdbus-1-dev libenca-dev libflac-dev libfontconfig-dev libfreetype6-dev libfribidi-dev libglew-dev libiso9660-dev libjasper-dev libjpeg-dev libltdl-dev liblzo2-dev libmad0-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libmp3lame-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmpeg3-dev libmysqlclient-dev libnfs-dev libogg-dev libpcre3-dev libplist-dev libpng-dev libpostproc-dev libpulse-dev libsamplerate-dev libsdl-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libshairport-dev libsmbclient-dev libsqlite3-dev libssh-dev libssl-dev libswscale-dev libtiff-dev libtinyxml-dev libtool libudev-dev libusb-dev libva-dev libva-egl1 libva-tpi1 libvdpau-dev libvorbisenc2 libxml2-dev libxmu-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxslt1-dev libxt-dev libyajl-dev mesa-utils nasm pmount python-dev python-imaging python-sqlite swig unzip yasm zip zlib1g-dev

with the result:

E: Paket libcec1 kann nicht gefunden werden.
E: Paket libjasper-dev kann nicht gefunden werden.
E: Für Paket »libmysqlclient-dev« existiert kein Installationskandidat.

(Sorry for the German, I’m too lazy to set the locale)

Another terminal will help:

lupus@lea:~$ LANG=C apt search libcec
Sorting… Done
Full Text Search… Done
libcec-dev/stable 4.0.1+dfsg1-1 amd64
USB CEC Adaptor communication Library (development files)

libcec4/stable 4.0.1+dfsg1-1 amd64
USB CEC Adaptor communication Library (shared library)

python-libcec/stable 4.0.1+dfsg1-1 amd64
Python bindings for USB CEC Adaptor

libjasper is a little tricky:
lupus@lea:~$ LANG=C apt search libjasper
-> no relevant result

Search via internet:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libjasper-dev
-> only in jessy (oldstable) ans SID (unstable) …

and: I am on Debian 9.6/Strech here … Not related to Elive, but I think it will give a little insight how to start with such a project.

Next step would be getting libjasper and compile it by my own. This would be too much for tonight. But if anyone is interested how the project is going on, I could go on some time in Elive.

Hint the missing libmysqlclient-dev should be default-libmysqlclient-dev or libmariadbclient-dev, since die sql default is now mariadb.

• As I know Kodi is using sqlite internal, so libmysql should be optional. Only If I plan to have a distributed DB on more than one Kodi, I need a [MySQL|MariaDB|postgress|oracle|whatever]
  • But libjasper is a libary, needed for .jpg. Maybe for creating thumbnails. It should be mandatory.