File-managers: Nemo vs Thunar

do you mean that it has already the possibility to implement / enable the feature?

• does pcmanfm fits better?
  • is possible to configure thunar to make it fit correctly? (yes i can implement this to be auto in elive, fonts sizes configurations are already reduced for small screen, maybe you noticed that)
  • the best would E22 FM for that (much better sizes management), but that's another topic

Yes. It has bis own extensions ready for Download.

Yes.
Yes.

which options are the ones you use to fit it better?

1. Windows size
  2. sort by details, Not Symbols
  3. Adjusting the Icon size all one step smaller

I don't found it, only that you can use an smb:// address, but there's no a visual userfriendly plugin? can you point me to the good one?

Yes, later.
In the Moment I have to watch Teletubbies with my youngest one....

May be, it IS available for Lxde only,
have to Check out

1 Like

Will try lol
Tks

Well, when it comes to FileManagers and DE appearance,
you found the right person in me, btw...

shit - this rocks ! (but not ready to go)

ah, nah....

This is actually PCManFM:

Here is another underrated FileManger: Xfe (yes Xfe) with a tiny footprint
(could be good for weak machines):

This is, guess... Thunar -
all these images were made on the same small screen of a "HP Mini" 8,9" @ 1280 x 768, btw.

What I do not understand of this discussion at all is:
About what are we talking here -
the best FileManager for ---- 32bit weak and older PC
OR
the best FileManager for ---- 64bit average PC - huh?

This is BIG difference and not ANY comparable to each other.
For example:
This is full blown up Nemo on Cinnamon:

And can you colour your folder and files in ... e.g. Thunar, mhm - MHM?!!

Am afraid... no.

So what is the conclusion about all this now?
Who will decide - which is the best for Mr. X and what for Mrs. Y ?

And last but not least: SpaceFM ... fantastic - but for sure not for novice users;
I use it when I (e.g. work as network admin) have to shift a lot of different files to several destinations,
it helps to get not lost after some time ... (on bottom you have a progress area for different actions)
to be honest: the learnig curve takes a while - ah we get off topic now :expressionless:

Yes.
Check for comments :wink: (@ Elive on the Radio) :omgomgomg:

1 Like

So, How do you get the bar/dock in E16" since you said that there is no bar in E16, this would be the way to go with that option then? I am surprised you did not tell about that feature for the E16 we are testing.

I mean the iBar that is.

ALT+ESC is fine for those who are use to it and know that key function but for new users coming from elsewhere would not know that and are accustomed to a laughpad or docking of some sort. Bar/dock for E16 should be default for this feature desktop

1 Like

:slight_smile:

because that dock was "engage", but a version of engage which was not (yet) made for E17 on that time (the actual engage we use is an e17 emodule, the code is entirely different), this is something about more than 10 years ago lol

this means that is not possible to use it anymore, but hey! maybe the source code stills around (maybe in the git history!) on that time was called itask-ng and not engage iirc, maybe somebody could try to compile it and see if works, and if not, maybe it requires just minor updates in the code, so who knows if we could use it in the end

any volonteer to try to compile it? @triantares maybe? :slight_smile:

OK thanks for the info was just curious. The video was real good!

Oi, get in line with the rest and wait yer turn, will ya!. :madness:

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: E16 will need a dock bar?

I moved the "Dock" topic to a specific thread in the #get-involved:suggest section, and also moved this "filesystems" topic in the #get-involved:research one

Why research: because #system:applications is more like related to questions about the included applications in the system, and this topic was more like related to a research about different filemanagers

2 Likes

IIRC, that one requires gnome-shell almost fully installed.