Since we have a few threads talking about Nvidia, I wanted to open a specific one related to the bugs on Nvidia that happens with the last updated builds
Version 3.8.6 and before:
To keep the compatibility of these drivers is a real headache, in the last 3.8.6 I found many bugs related to nvidia which forced to upload a new iso (again, I did after 3.8.4 because of this) so that users will have nvidia working better...
- 340xx worked perfectly
390xx didn't compile with 5.4 kernel
- FIXED by providing also a second kernel (default's Buster kernel, older, so compiles good)
- FIXED telling better the user about using the other kernel
2-kernels issue: if you have 2 kernels in the system, and it compiles for one and not for the other, the tool tells you that the compilation failed because the result of the installing packages failed
- FIXED: the tool has been updated to consider as valid if it compiled correctly the module for at least the kernel that you are using
- 'current' driver is deprecated for the 32bit architecture, it fallbacks to the version 390xx of the driver, so the user is installing 390 in fact instead without noticing
- FIXED: by telling the user what is happening and also suggesting to use the 64bit version if specifically needs this driver
So lucky i run on AMD
Funny fact: some of the nvidia drivers are developed in my university. Need me to give a talk to someone?
yes, spank them for drop the 32bit support lol