Nvidia Privative Drivers installation

Hi!

It seems, perhaps a problem: when I launch Elive 3.7.8 x64 live on the eeepc 1015pn with the last 1-6 process (so for privative nidia drivers, 340xx here), I have, for the best, time to arrive in e16 & do little things before the machine stops cause heat...
I change the thermal paste on the cpu+nvidia gpu, verify if it's not an issue from the the new ram of 2Gb (going back to the original 1Gb one)....
Re-test with the 1-6 ones >> same hot stop (even not arrived to e16)...
And right now, booting same conditions but strait forward (first option in the boot lines, so supposedly with "nouveau", it runs without heat stop (current uptime about 1h)...

Could you please remember me how to verify / test nvidia nouveau parameters, by the way?

When you tell about "htop", isn't it more "nvtop"? (that said here "Impossible to initialize nvidia nvml : Driver Not Loaded" (== works only with privative's?))

.conkyrc: viewed! Replacing all letters sizes from 8 to 6 and it's ok! Thanks! Now should be cool to have nvidia's datas too in it (mainly gpu%, T°, graphic ram, eventually CUDA state), but even by extend it via synaptics, I got nothing more...

Salutations!

1 Like

Hello!

Back with the eeepc 1015pn, 2Gb ram, 3.7.8 x64, but this time, installed on a little but performing ssd...
As I still have some heat problems, I made the install by night, under a fan... :hot_face: And it runs quite well, (about 2 hours of install process), and I in fine have THE nvidia preferences tools (here with legacy 340xxx)...
I made the 6 points process for live, and made the install as it, and it works...
Well, already somewhat broken by this morning attempts with CUDA... ;-p

Salutations!

Hello,
I doubt that your hardware, NVIDIA® ION N11M-PT1 (512MB VRAM), will support CUDA...
:madness:

@Franc your heat problem seems like to be caused by a dusty cpu, but i strongly suggest you to try the "mprime" tool which will stop if happens a wrong calculation in a hot moment, more details in: How to check and verify that your computer doesn't have hardware problems

If your computer shuts down arriving to 100C', Elive should tell you about this too in your next boot (notification message)

I have also see nvidia cards that "blocks" a computer (freeze), my solution was stopping to use nvidia and switch to the internal Intel card, I don't remember now if this was solved by upgrading the entire system with the new alphas on which the kernel / drivers / xorg are much newer

About Nvidia, they should be much more easy to install on the next release 3.7.9 which i still working on, Im having some difficulties because many misc changes

1 Like

Hi!

@Thanatermesis: I can ensure you that there's no dust in this computer, thermal past changed (with a supposedly good one)... Only one not changed is a little thermal pad (I haven't some), but it's usually not necessary to renew that...
I will made hardware check you point to, asap...

@Rebel450 : It's an Ion2, with 8 CUDA... :slight_smile:

Ih!

Try live mode, if it's overheating with it, too.
(may be also another distro) :hooray:
I suspect a kernel issue on the system installed... :eyepopping: :gun:

Still this cute machine would be run better
with the 32bit variant, though.... :nod:

Atom & CUDA, seriously ?

Hi!

Eeepc 1015pn finaly running with 3.7.8 x64 installed, again from the "6 points process" live start: nvidia privative 340 ok, nvidia X server settings running ok, showing all including the 8 cuda's, just can't figure out yet to use CUDA, but nevertheless it works likely (see 3.7.8 alpha release )..!

Surprisingly, if the eee stays a bit hot, it (for now) didn't heat crash even after about an hour uptime... The only thing I made in between is an installation of CAELinux... Can't figure out what's happen... Or it's "just" that the max temperature where I am has a bit fall (5-10°) from last week due to windy conditions.....

Ih!

Have a look at

"TLP"

https://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-linux-advanced-power-management.html

I have best experiences on many diferent NoteBooks with it,
it also reduces heat of the processor

2 Likes

Hi!

An other thing: (eeepc 1015pn, 3.7.8 x64, installed) when playing around CUDA stuff, I install via synaptic, the nvidia cuda toolkit... The synaptic system doesn't tells anything wrong about it so I launch it... Going right until a window saying that the nvidia 418 (current) driver has been installed in place of the necessary for this computer legacy-340xx, with no possibility to go back or force to 340...
So, having to reboot (no window manager), connect via rj45, re launch the nvidia-privative-drivers-install -l ... Once done, it re install 340 ok, but tells that there's an incompatibility with 418 so turns back to 418...
I made it two or tree times, before stopping the process preventing it to retro to 418 (by hard reboot)... And it went okay..!?
Strange somewhere for me...

Beside that, the three libnvidia-legacy-340xx- (compi, cuda1, nvcuv ) 340.107.4 installs ok, but I can't figure out to evaluate it for now...

Salutations.

Re!

On the Dell M4400 nvidia Quadro FX770M, privative 340xx: OK!
With adaptive mode OK...

Good job again, Mr Thanat'! :+1::ok_hand:

Er!

1 Like

Bis:

For the Eeepc 1015pn, 3.7.9 (upgrade from 3.7.8) rocks with nvidia 340xx, adaptive mode ok!

Next soon!

EDIT 1

Ter:

Now live from the Dell M6700/nvidia M5000M: first start choosing "current"; seems ok... asking for opengl in e16... but if the nvidia x server settings line is here, clicking on it gives nothing...
Trying to install tools with synaptic (nvtop...) to try see more...

Once done with or ~out results, I will re-try but with 390xx...

To be continued..!

EDIT 2

4: So, on the M6700/nvidia M5000M (synaptic a bit long to dowmload) still on "current" , I installed nvidia-cuda-toolkit besides other thing (bumblebee...) AND IT ROCKS!!!
Verified with Blender 2.79 from the iso, and 2.80: Got CUDA for rendering!

@Thanatermesis: You "make my day"! HURRAY! :+1::ok_hand::vulcan_salute:

Blender 2.80 with this nvidia + Elive & CUDA is impressively fast! Having now to find or do a big work to experiment further!!!

It seems that Bumblebee isn't here after "live" install... Appears nowhere in menus or even terminology, but synaptic...
Nvidia x server settings still not here...

To be continued 2....! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello!

Just to say that on the Precision M6700 / Nvidia M5000M, with the 3.8.2 .iso, it's just needed to install the current nvidia-cuda-toolkit to run Blender's cuda rendering... :+1:
Having now to (re-) find the correct old version of cuda-toolkit for eeepc 1015pn's legacy 340...

Olleh!

1 Like

@Franc thanks for the suggestion! can you confirm that this stills required in the version 3.8.4 ? (includes new kernel and new nvidia drivers), if yes, tell me which is the exact package name required so that I can include it when installing the nvidia drivers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello!

So, 3.8.4/x64, M6700/nvidiaM5000M, same way: (installing Synaptics via api ;-p ) nvidia-cuda-toolkit and Blender meets CUDA! :slight_smile:

On the eeepc 1015pn, it's a pain; For now, even with the supposedly correct legacy 340 cuda toolkit, I can't deal with this...

Holle!

1 Like

try to deal with nouveau here.... :flushed:

Hello!

I would like to use "Nouveau", there was an idea of a team working at CUDA for Nouveau, but in fine with no forth...

So Nvidia privative drivers is de facto the only actual way to CUDA..! :grimacing:

Salutations!

@Franc, try the new 3.8.6 beta with nvidia to see if the drivers works correctly, seems like another user has problems installing the drivers :thinking:

also, which are the CUDA packages that you need to make it working? can you tell me which ones exactly are needed to install / include ?

Hi!

I'm currently writing the usb key with the 3.8.6... :wink:
For the 340xx legacy privative driver, the right version of legacy cuda toolkit is the 6.5 one (I haven't just now the links, but I will let that as soon as possible...
An other way seems to install the current cuda toolkit, that off course clams about wrong driver version, and run " >>>update-alternatives --config nvidia ", that displays a choice to check between current & legacy... I tried it but for now without success (I had the choice to check, with no chance yet...), but it could be the simplest way...

During time to write this message, the 3.8.6 usb key is done: going straight to fit it on the eeepc 1015pn! :wink:

Salutation!

mmh, you should be able to do that with the packages that you have available on your system (not downloading external drivers from internet), like:

~ ❯❯❯ apse nvidia cuda 340xx
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
libnvidia-legacy-340xx-compiler/buster 340.108-3 amd64
NVIDIA runtime compiler library (340xx legacy version)

libnvidia-legacy-340xx-cuda1/buster 340.108-3 amd64
NVIDIA CUDA Driver Library (340xx legacy version)

libnvidia-legacy-340xx-cuda1-i386/buster 340.108-3 i386
NVIDIA CUDA 32-bit runtime library (340xx legacy version)

libnvidia-legacy-340xx-nvcuvid1/buster 340.108-3 amd64
NVIDIA CUDA Video Decoder runtime library (340xx legacy version)

Well!

Installation en route on the 1015pn: as soon as it's done (at least one hour and a bit more), I try this "secret formulae" and will report..! Should it be that simple! :slight_smile:

Impatient! :runaway:

1 Like