Plan9 emulator segfaults on 3.7.16

Elive 3.7.16 testing on Thinkpad X1 Carbon
.The plan9 emulator segfaults on start up. It briefly shows a screen but then disappears.
Here's the (guake) console output:

A segmentation fault should be able to find via

strace plan9-vx32 -t -u ...

I think there is a library missing. Maybe the smaller ldd output helps?

ldd /path/to/plan9-vx32

(Find the /path/to/ with 'which plan9-vx32')

Hmmm, meaning plan9 runs on your machine and it might be a particular problem of my setup? :thinking:
as "ldd" tells me "not a dynamic executable" I primarily suspect a wrong installation path.

edit

Found it, it's a missing "ld.so" in the current Debian version.

To be honest, I have no Idea what plan9 is. But I know what I would Do in case of a 'Segmentation Fault' :wink:
'Not a dynamic executable' is good. Do you know what 'linking' is? If not:

Any program needs libraries. If you write a program, you don't want to write all functions for printf(), readln() and so on. So your program can import libraries during the compilation.
Here you'll decide to

• link dynamic: Your program has a smaller size, but depends on the installed libraries on the system. That is the reason, why we have dependency management in apt (the frontend of the package manager dpkg).
  • link static: All dependencies need to be on the compiling system. They well be compiled in the binary, so the size will grow.

Dynamic:
If you decide to install the package bb, first take a look at

$ apt show bb
[...]
Installed-Size: 1893 kB
Depends: libaa1 (>= 1.4p5), libc6 (>= 2.14), libmikmod3 (>= 3.3.3)

libaa1, libc6 or libmicmod3 can depend on other packages, as well.

Lets take a look at ... Wooah, there are a lot of depencies. (53 Lines)

$ ldd $(which bb)

But also our 'libaa' will be found:

$ ldd $(which bb) |grep libaa
libaa.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libaa.so.1 (0x00007f879da5c000)

So, an Segmentation Fault can be the result of a missing or wrong installed library. But in your case not, because it is 'static linked' and not dynamic. And this is the reason why all this has nothing to do with your problem ... But I've wrote it and don't want to delete it..

And I only wanted to know if you had the same issues.
:rofl2:

Anyway, plan9 requires a few tricks to run (like installing "nscd" and using "/etc/ld.so.preload" and "/etc/ld.so.nohwcap") which currently aren't viewed as being very safe practice.

~ ❯❯❯ cat /usr/bin/plan9-vx32

As you can see, the launcher is basically a script that copies the system in your home (if was not) and then run it

Maybe the reason is related that the emulator (or interpreter) is a 32bit type machine, and you may be running it on 64bit?

In any case, if you know how to make it running (working) @triantares , i mean, to improve that simple script-launcher, tell me so i can fix it :slight_smile:

Ouff, I'd forgotten about this one.
I'll have a look but wouldn't be surprised if there are some library issues too. :thinking: