Pulse audio doesn't work after suspend

I'm having problems with pulseaudio not starting when I log out and back in again or after waking up after "suspend", i.e it only works on initial boot.
The audio-configurator tool doesn't do any good either ...... nothing obvious works other than a complete reboot.
This is with e16 and E23 on my machine.
A Thinkpad X1 Carbon 3rd gen with:

Device-1: Intel Broadwell-U Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Device-2: Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

Anybody have any similar issues?

Never seen this issue before, so probably is a hardware problem more than a pulseaudio problem

in any case, theres a funny experiment that you can do: install the package pulseaudio-compat-notinstalled

As you can imagine, this package will remove pulseaudio from your system and make it running with a good % of compatibility, in fact elive 3.0 used it entirely to get rid of pulseaudio, and seems like we still pretty compatible with it :slight_smile:

note that audio-configuration was originally made to configure cards for alsa, so its more or less normal that doesnt changes much for pulseaudio

and so yes, you can configure your cards with that tool if needed and will use alsa, I have already switched two computers to alsa just to see if everything works as expected

Note that some things -can- strictly depend from pulseaudio, but most of defaults elive applications should work (maybe audacity doesnt works), like E16 sound theme which uses pulseaudio and cannot work without it, yet

I have also updated the installer to include this feature (removing pulseaudio) for machines with low resources (saves 33 MB of ram, pretty much for nothing)

The funny thing is that I cannot use bluetooth speaker now without pulseaudio (in fact is possible but is more difficult to set up, i think), but instead I can use my external jack line-out to send sound to the speaker (so I run songbird from a wheezy chroot)

After testing for 2 days on E16, it looks to be OK after suspend but not after logout and
log back in again. So itś kinda strange as if it does not initialize but I cannot see any error logs. :face_with_head_bandage:

I'll see if I can get alsa running with the method you describe there..... Especially on E23.

UPDATE.
Tried using alsa but issue remains the same when logging out and back in again.
Using the "audio" - "Volume Control" states it wants to connect to pulseaudio and stalls. The "reconfigure audio" doesn't do anything either.

ok this makes somewhat sense for pulseaudio then

when e16 starts, some apps are run, when logouts, they are forcely closed (thats a new feature, maybe you are not using it?)

the easiest, try a new e16 desktop configuration after apug, if still having the bug, see with the pulseaudio commands why it doesn't works, first, "ps aux | grep pulse", then try to run the command pulseaudio, maybe with some parameters, to see if starts the daemon, then finally we need to found why it doesnt when re-login

note: when in alsa mode, "volume control" doesn't works (its made for pulseaudio), use "alsamixer" from a terminal instead

I've just found out what' causing it: "entrance".:shocked:

On killing "entrance" from TTY1 using "sudo killall entrance" in all cases has a working pulseaudio, a normal logout and back in does not.
Using "lightdm" does not have the issue ..... so case closed.
An "entrance" bug. :face_with_head_bandage: