Screen Configuration

Well, it’s important to know the bugs and have them fixed for the release :blush:

Ok so, looking at the video:

Your default screens mode is "mirror" (copy of the other), then you configure it, Apply the conf is good, and when you select the primary screen the deskop does a (needed) restart but i think that it doesn't has enough time (before the restart) to know the new screens state, but here im confused because in the code it waits 2 seconds before to reload the desktop, this means that you should have your screens with the correct "primary" screens setup at least 2 seconds before the "black glitch reloading desktop"

Are you using the last version of elive-tools? if so, looks like it doesn't set correctly the conf, to debug this you will need to check your saved configuration file, can you show me the result of this?

cat .screenlayout/jf.sh

Also, try to load the conf file from yourself to see if sets correctly the screens and assigns the primary to HDMI, run:

bash .screenlayout/jf.sh

ok will try all that this morning and also make sure I have last version of Elive-Tools

❯❯❯ cat .screenlayout/jf.sh
#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output HDMI1 --primary --mode 1600x900 --pos 1600x0 --rotate normal --output DP1 --off --output VGA1 --mode 1600x900 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal
~ ❯❯❯

Running this, correct the right / left screen configuration. Mean it make my right screen an extension of the left screen as I want.

Suppose it will be ok at reboot, will try

Not there is only the Application bar that doesn't endup on the primary screen (right HDMI one) as specified

At reboot screen were still in mirror.
running bash .screenlayout/jf.sh agin fixed it

What happens if you have the screens correctly configured (after to run manually the script), and then you reload your desktop? (ctrl + alt + end)

Also: make sure that you don’t have any other “screen configurator” in your destkop (e-module): Settings -> Settings Panel -> Screen -> -here- (for change screens configurations, resolutions, etc), this old tool should be not available anymore

It bring back my config in mirroring mode

No other screen congiruation tool from what I can see

So bad... so if enlightenment restarts (reload) it breaks your multiscreen settings, hum...

This is bad because your desktop CAN be restarted in any moment (if blocked for example, auto reloading), or after some days for purge memory cache's

Ok let's try this, i I think that there's a good solution:

I have updated the needed packages, do first "apug", then

• screens configuration will not reload your desktop anymore after to configure it
  • go to the "restart applications" configuration and add a launcher that I just created: Seetings -> Settings Panel -> Apps -> Restart Applications -> (search for the "screen configuration load configurations or similar... sorry i dont know the exact name), and add it

After that, if you reload your desktop, your screen configurations should be kept!

Sorry need reinstalling elive clean
Messed up my system after installing 64 compatibility with command you gaved me ( apug create too much error now )

No stress. I was warned. « ‘At my own risk «

It is now ok !
After apug and running the screen config tool, I had to logout
When loging it offerd me to update " don’t remember what sorry" and I said yes
From there my application bar was on the right !

I also rebooted and config was intact / ok

In fact I didn't finished to test the howto, and I needed to go eat while writing it

So is everything working correctly now? reloading desktop keeps the conf & configurator sets correctly the screens?

I didn’t add that you told me to the Startup application
After configruing my screen, not everything was ok
I just add to logout, log back and was offered to update Desktop application of somethine like that and my application bar showed up on the right ( chosen ) screen
Restarted and everything was still ok after a reboot

"restart applications", not "startup", but in any case is OK, we don't have it visible on the list... doesn't matter, let's do this final test:

• apug
  • restart to a new desktop configuration

Now you should be able to configure your multi-screens without problems, and when reloading your desktop (ctrl + alt + end) should keep the correct screens configuration

And hopefully, the elive-multiscreens feature will have everything fixed :slight_smile:

1 Like

ok rebooting to try.
I could try in a vm but want to try in on my real machine

when you say that, you mean ctrl + alt + end ?

worked perfecly well
After changing config and specifying the Primary screen, I have to ctrl ATL END to make the right screen be the primary ( have the tool bar on it) but it works 100% of the time perfectly now

Goood job !

nope, "restart to a new configuration" means to remove the desktop confs and so to start to a fresh configuration, where you select language and keyboard... you have a launcher for that in the applications -> settings menu

oh hum, only the bar? no more gadgets? let me improve that...

Ok, can you do another test? :slight_smile: , now the bar should be reloaded after a new configuration is made, in order to be sent to the correct primary desktop, so no need to "ctrl + alt + end" to be in the correct place

ok reset desktop config
made a new config to set my left VGA screen as primary, it work on the spot ( did the config, didn't change resolution, just closed the tool, asked me for the primary) and the primary became left scree

Again
open the screen config tool
Close it
Set right HDMI screen as primary
Application bar and dropbox icon and one other gadget endedup on the right screeen on the spot

Good!