SecureBoot / UEFI

Hello!

I used to use ext4, but will use reiser4 at least for Elive / ...
For me, so said secure boot is quite a blob, and now, if for a weird reason, I have to use something enslaved by bilou loosedows, it will be via Wine, ReactOS, or an image with VirtualBox (or ReactOS on VBox)...
A little side subject, security wise: I'm not right at this point immediately, but what about using a free bios, as Coreboot, Libreboot, or so? I imagine that it can't be a problem for Elive to deal with that? The easiest way here is to fit a "grub bios", so it should be trait forward, if I'm not wrong? I didn't learn that all for now but thinking about it... One of the distrib' most in this way for now seems to be Trisquel (for exemple)...

Salutations!

Not all hardware is supported by those. The last time I looked, only my lenovo old X60 (currently my webserver) was an option.

Hi!

@triantares: Yes, I know! Perhaps your X1? Some good laptop ones are Thinkpad's X2xx series.... :wink:
But even if open bios are still not a 100% solution, it comes as a good secure step...

Salutations!

AFAIK, is that Linux doesn't even require that much BIOS. In fact not much more than an eprom booting up and handing over to the OS.

You're a Ch'ti? :hot:

1 Like

@triantares: 1. Yep! 2. Not exactly! :slight_smile: "bilou" is not "Biloute" :wink: , and is the nick name, at least in French, of "bill for the gates to hell of windown$" thief & slave driver slave... One can be very nice where the other worth Inferno!!!

2 Likes

How instal elvin when bios is infekted rotkit or malware ?
Lenovo x220

How secure after infected ?

Not sure what you mean there but ...... if you don't trust your BIOS just flash a new one on the x220. Great opportunity to upgrade to the latest and greatest available from Lenovo. :smile_cat:
The latest is version 1.46 ... take a look here:
https://support.lenovo.com/nl/en/downloads/ds018805

thanks.

Lenovo caught with another backdoor (BIOS level)
...reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3gpahq/lenovo_caught_with_another_backdoor_bios_level/

no trust lenovo bios :slight_smile:

Well that would only leave 2 options:

• Be adventurous and flash "coreboot" or "libreboot" onto the X220 or..
  • Buy a different laptop (Librem?) who's BIOS you do trust.

Both are a bit out of scope here on the forums. :innocent:

corboot is good idea. Thanks.

Do let us know how it went. I's a fairly daunting task all in all. :shocked:

You might find this interesting too:

Interested but I don't know how to subscribe

Subscribe to what ... github?

Also I'd like to subscribe to having a working brain because as you can see mine is somewhat damaged hahahaha

I just tested 3.8.16 in an HP pavilion where secure boot was enabled and it worked perfectly