Website of Elive, updates and changes

Ok updated as:

Create your Elive bootable USB stick

"your" instead of "an", which sounds more like a needed step

Or better to use this sentence?

Create your bootable USB stick of Elive

I think the right english way to say it is
Create your Elive bootable USB stick

I'll get to learn some wordpress i guess. I'd liked to learn how to use it anyway sooner or later

Well it's very simple to use, not hard to code too (php), but in my personal opinion is a very very very bad quality software in every sense (one of the main root reasons is it's internal language php), unfortunately used too much widely that we don't have other alternatives

It's faster, but I'm experiencing random freezes (as like with e17) using a '01 2.44 GHz Pentium 4, 512mb ram, GeForce 2 mx200 32mb
I will add a note to BTS

It'd be nice having a secondary de for older computers!
Adding an application bar at the bottom (maybe without animations would be better!) And something like dmenu (the one in i3wm to easily look for any runnable binary in the system) would make it perfect

Freezes ? you mean segfaults? in e16 if you have a segfault it will probably show the desktop broken (exit session)

that was possible in old versions of elive, try for example the Gem version, from the torrent (see stable download page -> other downloads)

I tried them, and I also added transmission to the startup applications so I can share the torrent!

I don't think it is a segmentation fault. It's like a loooong stutter. Everything works fine again within few seconds

2 Likes

Mmmh that's very strange, but sounds more like a hardware issue and not a problem of the system, please check this (just written) howto: How to check and verify that your computer doesn't have hardware problems

If you don't have these problems, we must check what is causing it (i still convinced that is a hardware problem, probably by the hard disk in a "sleep" state)

Try to run "dmesg" when it happens to see if you have any useful info

1 Like

Updated stable download page in 3-columns mode to include instructions, so that the user wonā€™t miss them (also other misc changes / improvements)

2 Likes

I prefer the new visual / way it is displayedā€¦ Good job

• Added other downloads in the Downloads menu
  • Rewrited the ā€œbetaā€ download page with improved information about the actual elive status and future development, any feedback / suggestion about the provided info and its impact @jfbourdeau ?
1 Like

I like the download page

but, Most for your DOnation links point to the patreon page and not the main donation page with all payments optionsā€¦

So in those pages, no easy way to reach the donation pages with all the option, If the click Support menu, then they will find the donation pageā€¦ But all links everywhere on the site should point there (my opinion)

1- Support this project, with any amount Elive 3.0 Stable - Download patreon only
2- Unfortunately , thereā€™s not enough resources to start the next development phase. Elive - Beta Download p;int to patreon only

In different pages you have a links to donation, but it point to Patreon onlyā€¦ I think that if any links you have related to donation, would point to Elive Donations it would be betterā€¦ With a clear not that patreon is MONTHLY only. (but may be people using patreon, know patreon is monthly ? Anyway)

As for Stripe and paypal, it is clear, they can choose either monthly or notā€¦

1 Like

Donation page a bit updated with the info of the ā€œactual funding stateā€ marked in patreon (this is manually added so the information could be old in the future)

With a small description of ā€œwhat is possibleā€ to do with the actual funding / resources

Promoting the patreon link as first as a sustainable way to support a project and with the alternative donation links later

https://www.elivecd.org/donate/

3 Likes

Iā€™m happy to announce a new mirror added for the downloads of the ISOs, served in a good machine located in UK, improving the distribution of the downloads (which before was only used 2 mirrors from dreamhost, which are not so reliable) and making the downloads in europe to be faster! :applause:

Thanks a lot Gary Fowles for the mirror!

:furrydance: :happy_dance: :furrydance:

4 Likes

Let's go, guys ! Let's move from at least 100$ monthly additional per month?
So 100$ / month minimum by the end of the month of September
200$ / month minimum before the end of october...

So we can have our new version of Elive on STEROIDS ( new kernel, drivers, 64 bits, and son on...)

If you lack of inspiration, read
https://forum.elivelinux.org/t/elives-health-foundation-funny-donation-campaigns-work-in-progresss/477

1 Like

Look at this website. It's beautiful. @Thanatermesis

1 Like

Updated and improved download page for the old versions:

https://www.elivecd.org/download/old-versions/

1 Like

Menus better structured:

• thereā€™s no ā€œnewsā€ main category anymore (moved to ā€˜Aboutā€™)
  • ā€˜Supportā€™ contained misc things (including documentation), now the documentation related things are moved to a main menu category
  • In the future there will be a ā€˜Featuresā€™ section after ā€˜Aboutā€™
  • A few icons added in the ā€˜Supportā€™ section
  • Since we have a FAQ in the forum and a FAQ in the website of Elive, I have added both in the ā€˜Docsā€™ main menu, for the forum related one is called Q&A, in other words: FAQā€™s in the forum are more generic ones and the ones in the website are more specific and important, like related to booting the system, main questions, and first workarounds / troubleshooting if needed, I assume that is understandable this way

Make a look to the new menus (reload the website of Elive), they are meant to be more friendly and intuitive now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks pretty slick to me. Well done! :slight_smile:
On a side note: There are some pretty glaring grammar and plural/singular mistakes on the museum page.

• Did you enjoy Elive in the past?
    -These older versions contain tons of ā€¦you wonā€™t see again.
    -Better yet, they are extremely lightā€¦ (Never start sentences with ā€œbutā€)
    -We are happy to keep them available for you!
    -We hope you enjoy these versions as much as we did at the time and if you can, share your nicest screenshots with us on our forums.
    -These old versions contain a donation required to install, the website still provides them.
3 Likes

Thanks for the improvements, all of them have been fixed, I will try to remember the tips :slight_smile:

1 Like