Website of Elive, updates and changes

The website of Elive has been moved to a newer server box :eyepopping: (from the same hosting), using now a newer CPU (Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 @ 2.2GHz, released in 2016) instead of the previous one (Intel Xeon E5-2630L 0 @ 2.0Ghz released in 2012), it is also moved from Amsterdam to Frankfurt in order to deliver faster responses generically worldwide

The difference is pretty noticeable :happybounce:, I could say easily a 25% of performance improvement, specially in the backend of the website

The IP has also changed, this could (maybe) improve the email delivery to those crappy hotmail boxes which they never receives emails from the Elive website, where @yoda helped me a lot to improve this, so let’s see what it does

The next days I will do some tests for a possible switch from nginx to the OpenLiteSpeed server, which seems to boost the website performance a lot more (at least twice fast, to 5x times faster :wow:), maybe @PrinceAMD is familiarized with it

that’s all for now :matrixfight:

1 Like

The next days I will do some tests for a possible switch from nginx to the OpenLiteSpeed server, which seems to boost the website performance a lot more (at least twice fast, to 5x times faster :wow:)

All I Read is: @Thanatermesis is about to write an eHTTPserver as e17 plugin :wink:

Yep
it look faster.
Good job
Yoda

@Thanatermesis i’ve never used openlitespeed.

Openlitespeed: was in the end “not so worth”, the pain to configure it was huge (but i finally was able to make it running!), the server is in fact very good and suggested over nginx / apache etc… (easier to manage, from a gui interface, lighter, and can accept thousands of connections per minute instead of a hundred by others), but the visual appearance (speed) is very similar, so for now I will stick to how it is actually set up (nginx), will switch to it in the moment that will be needed (when Elive will be more famous than windows & mac together)

Performance: more misc improvements has been made to the website, you can see now one of the fastest versions of the elive site possible

Footer: A first version of a good footer is included, waiting for a few visual improvements before to continue making it

Support: I have included an inspired “call to donate” in the footer too, to me it looks pretty movitating

Extra: I have been working on mulitple things, specialy fixes on website elements, pages, etc…

2 Likes

Donations can be validated now from Validate - Elive Linux , this page is used for the returning from paypal when a donation is made to download (so the page itself manages everything), giving the download link for each different donation, if you enter directly to the page you can also validate / check a donation (note: this may work or not work with the past donations, since it may lack some data in the database, but it may probably work so if you are curious you can test it yourself :happy: )

I wanted to implement this (better integrated) feature since long time. Its almost finished now (I still need to add a few more functions but it actually perfectly works)

I have a very good news to tell !

As you probably know, old versions of Elive used a system of requiring "installer modules" as a way to support / sustain the project, where you needed to make a donation in order to get it, there was also the option to write an article in order to get it cost-free for those who cannot donate. Actually we don't use it anymore and we switched to a much simpler way (delayed downloads VS donation direct downloads, and similar...)

The problem is: older versions of Elive still requires it, so if you wanted to install an old version of Elive, you need to donate in order to install. This is not bad, so the system still works and users can still install Elive, but is a bit sad to make this a kind of limitation for those who are trying to revive an old computer or just to play with Elive.

So I took today the time to improve the code (keeping it as a working feature if needs to be used in the future), but now it includes a detector of "actual versions", so if you are trying to get an installer module for an older version of Elive than the actual stable one (this mean, any / all the versions that requires an installer module), the donation step will be skipped and you will have it entirely cost-free :dance: :happy_dance:

This is very good news! I'm sure @TheTechRobo will enjoy it when trying to install the old version of Elive in that computer :happybounce: :runningfast: Installer Module for Elive :runningfast: We are waiting your future howto / post about the old elive version on that old 2006 macbook :wink:

note: I'm going to release a massive newsletter soon (already planned since more than 1 month ago lol) and this will be of course another good news to include on it, also with the torrent to download those versions :applause:

3 Likes

Maybe that should be mentioned more expletive on the "download/old-versions" page. During install when the "donate" message pops up might upset people (again). :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Yeah I need to update that page too :slight_smile: - DONE

but for the install is not exactly possible (this would mean to modify the isos, and i this is not a good idea) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, I don't have the macbook version yet, but i recently downloaded 0.5 (or was it 0.6?). The betas worked decent -- i could play smw -- but not decent enough if you know what I mean

Anyway, I'll try that out once I have the time, but schoolwork is so much more than normal, so... :frowning:

PS I have to get back to schoolwork lol so you might not see me for a day or two

1 Like

yeah, try problably with the Gem version, the point is to have all hardware and features working (as described in the old page you found)

Sure, unfortunately I have slow wifi...i'll just have to try the one i downloaded first, trouble is the battery died and i cant find the cable lol

2 posts were split to a new topic: Cannot boot Elive 3.0.6 on Macbook

I have moved this old website to use httpS (ssl / secure) instead of the old plain http, it should work without problems :), secured, standard, improved, faster

https://bugs.elivecd.org

It took me almost the entire day but I finally moved the entire server to a Buster base (was Stretch before), this means mariadb / php / nginx and all the server updated too. The wordpress site has also been updated and with all the plugins too

1 Like

The homepage has been changed (just a bit), with:

• updated download links including the beta version
  • top banner removed
    • replaced by a bold message meant to give impact and focused to our type of users
  • Small Survey suggestion added

Updated FAQ page (in elive website) about Is Elive a Commercial Distro? - Elive Linux

It has better wordings but also the way which has been explained was not totally correct, so this update should be much better :slight_smile:

Just want to express my respect for all the immense hard work you do. Running now Elive as my main OS just wanna say that Elive is soooo ADDICTIVE (to me anyway) and it runs like a smooth buttered knive (metaphorically). Plainly said "Damn, THATS what I call a OS!!!!!"

4 Likes

The page Contact - Elive Linux has been entirely re-made, you can see the old version from: https://web.archive.org/web/20191116205924/https://www.elivecd.org/contact/

I think @yoda will like the new photo :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, so merging your resume into the elive website? Smart! (you wont need to be paying for resume hosting)

1 Like