Why does running "apug" offer to downgrade some packages?

...wrong repositories?

and what do you mean, mixed repos?
:baffled:

Read the posts more carefully and follow up the advice.
Vivaldi pulled in "stable" so you're mixing 2 very different versions there.

Repairing your repos could be done manually but clearly you aren't into the nitty gritty of that and probably would create more questions and issues than before.
These are self induced issues stemming from a lack of knowledge on how repositories work and not following the general Elive guidelines.

• Short and simple:
    Do an upgrade from live USB!

AFAIK there are no elive guidelines...i was following a tutorial to install mysql

Read again ..... It's about Vivaldi...your last entry in the repo list.

The guideline is the one frequently stressed by @Thanatermesis:

• Do NOT mix 3rd party repositories.

The "elive-health" script even checks for that and warns but ...... If you're running from E24 you prolly wont have enabled that.

:baffled:

~ ❯❯❯ appo elive-tools
elive-tools:
  Installed: 3.8.13+202006142015+git0baf922444-6buster11
  Candidate: 3.8.13+202006142015+git0baf922444-6buster11
  Version table:
 *** 3.8.13+202006142015+git0baf922444-6buster11 1500
       1500 http://repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org buster/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
~ ❯❯❯

????why does it say 3.8.13? did elive automatically upgrade??

wait... you are using the stable version, not the beta version :thinking: then all makes sense, or it is buster? im totally :baffled:

BTW, I found this and I was forced to reference it here, its a really good one :applause: DontBreakDebian - Debian Wiki

:runningfast::runningfast::runningfast::runningfast::runningfast:
that is a good point in fact, me and @triantares (experienced on repos things) are just expecting that people dont do it lol

The guideline is the one frequently stressed by @Thanatermesis:

• Do NOT mix 3rd party repositories.

:thinking: more or less... if you edit your sources.list you will clearly read that you should not (so yeah it is the perfect place to put this info)... but of course if people uses gui applications for apt, they wont see that

well, now elive-health does a great job with it :slight_smile:

that was only the version number of a specific package, but yes, elive automatically upgrades

in any case, @TheTechRobo, you must reinstall your elive beta :wink: better to wait 3.8.14 btw

im using the beta version all right, e16 and all...can install buster packages too

OK...:frowning:

Just a disclaimer: I have not modified the repos in any way.

I was running apug and it showed that elive-tools would be downgraded. I was like, ok fine, but let me make sure that it won't downgrade to 3.0.6 again. So I ran appo elive-tools...

Uhm...

~ ❯❯❯ appo elive-tools                                                      130
elive-tools:
  Installed: 3.8.14+202008100115+git3d6ebe7109-6buster11
  Candidate: 3.0.6+202008130057+git0d365c83a7-6buster11
  Version table:
 *** 3.8.14+202008100115+git3d6ebe7109-6buster11 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     3.0.6+202008130057+git0d365c83a7-6buster11 1500
       1500 http://repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org buster/main amd64 Packages
       1500 http://repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org buster/main i386 Packages
~ ❯❯❯ apse elive-tools
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
elive-tools/buster,buster 3.0.6+202008130057+git0d365c83a7-6buster11 all
  elive-tools, scripts, functions, etc..

You'll notice the canditate being 3.0.6+202008130057+git0d365c83a7-6buster11? That's really confusing to me as it's

3.0.6+202008130057+git0d365c83a7-6buster11

And, checking repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org (you thought you could hide it from us :stuck_out_tongue:) here is the file list of http://repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org/pool/main/e/elive-tools/:

And here is the link that the 3.0.6 one points to:

repo.buster.elive.elivecd.org/pool/main/e/elive-tools/elive-tools_3.0.6%2B202008130057%2Bgit0d365c83a7-6buster11_all.deb

Notice the buster11_all.deb part (at the end). If you look closely you might also notice that the date inside the filename is August 13, 2020.

This makes me think that that file has an incorrect version number, (the date inside the filename shows August 13, 2020, it's a package for buster, and the 3.7.4 elive-tools on the buster's repo server is apparently for wheezy if you look at the filename!)

I assume it's safe to use (the date is recent) but i'm not risking bricking my OS based on an assumption... :madness:

We've been over this before on a thread before ...... :scream: So again:

It's not a downgrade it's the silly numbering that gets added when creating the .deb from the git-repo.

If there's "git" in the name there's no worry at all .....

You'll have a hard time messing your system with "apug", it's assumptions that usually lead to mayhem. :shocked:

On a plus side, if the result isn't to your liking you can always downgrade (or would that be upgrade?) to the previous version.

Yes, I do remember you mentioning that.

What confused me was the 3.0.6 in the name. I suppose it's just the filename but it worried me for a second.

It is confusing, I agree and it isn't exactly going to win a beauty contest.
OTH, this is Elive Beta so things might break sometimes ..... but can always be repaired.

Anyway if it's any solace, I just let it downgrade and it doesn't have any consequences from what I can tell. ...... I suppose if you really want to, you could download the 3.0.6 deb there and compare what the differences are.
I always use MidnightCommander (aka "mc") to do that, it's very easy ...... :smiley14:

1 Like

hum,

just to clarify, downgrades in elive are allowed and safe, because they are controlled, and sometimes the numbers can be confusing, but for stability and compatible reasons, they are allowed (which means, your system can do it without issues

now, what i see here is a problem in the repository, which means "something is wrong", the issue is not the downgrade but "wtf is doing this package in the buster section? :slight_smile: ", @TheTechRobo says that he didn't modified the repos so i believe on him :slight_smile: this issue seems like not existing anymore (im correct? please someone verify)

Example: Index of /pool/main/e/elive-extra-features/

they still contain the 3.0.x packages

but I have no idea how the downgrades have been, I don't pay attemtioned to them like you suggested