Wikipedia page of Elive REBORN

LINKS TO DIFFERENT LANGUAGES (feel free to edit):

1 Like

ohhh here is a pastebin with the english source (after your edits @Thanatermesis):

3 posts were split to a new topic: Creating an Elive manual

OTH these 2 are just weblinks and I get the impression that they're looking for more tangible stuff like published papers or books with ISBN (which I doubt they'll ever read) as a "verifiable" source. :face_with_head_bandage:

Hum, the part of "links with details" (authors, etc) makes sense that they requires it, but i don't think most of the distros on wikipedia has ISBN books, 99% should not have that

A good thing to do is to compare the info and specially those links with other "good and common" wikipedia pages like debian / ubuntu / mint / arch / gentoo

Yes, a few ones, linuxformat magazine published 2-3 times about elive including a cd on it. But not about common "books"

You generously gave 5 stars to Elive5

muehehe :runningfast:

Thanks, I added them to the list, BTW I invite everybody that founds a (good only) article about elive to send them to:

https://www.elivecd.org/donation/submit-article-to-download-64bit-beta/

this page is to receive the 64bit costfree if you submit an article, but the point is to have it "saved" somewhere, and there is the biggest list of articles about elive :slight_smile:

Elive — Wikipedia Republished // WIKI 2

Hum, this wiki2 is interesting, and that article about Elive is quite long and well structured (based on the old version which we lost?), it has also many references link on it

I think that the best for this (git requires some advanced knowledges and its not so handy to use) will be use google docs for that (realtime multiuser collaborative editor)

Markdown (.md or .txt) should be the best format to write these things too

Probably me? I have only created my wikipedia account to the elive related things. So what is the solution? I need to collaborate in other wikipedia articles? or what i should do? :thinking:

If im not wrong, when an SSD breaks it becomes RO (no write possible), unless it really break in a different way (unreadable)

ask to your smart terminal :wink:

~ ❯❯❯ wtf is pita
PITA: pain in the ass
2 Likes

I put up a completely (very simple) article under a different name: EliveLinux.

It went up --- so now we'll see what happens. It''l probably have multiple issues so if anybody feels like: Have a ball. :madness:

• It would be especially nice if others would look at the issues and repair them.

If it stays up, I can make more changes but for now we've at least got a reference where people can find us.

Here it is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EliveLinux

Something I do need is a vector graphics logo to put up. So @Thanatermesis needs to provide an official one.
I've got a .svg of my own, that I also used for the E24 theme which I could use but I'd prefer the original.
elive-pingu-2

1 Like

Tell me if these are enough: Logos and Banners of Elive - Elive Linux

Mmh, no, we don't have a vector based one, only one that is only the "shape" (a white bg with a black line), there's no vector ones that will include the colors and effect of the original logo :confused:

good :slight_smile: let's see what happens :slight_smile:

so im a bit confused now, if they accepts this page but not the other, what we should do? :thinking: (its better to use the name elive and not elivelinux imho, for a wikipedia page) , or if we end having 2 ones, what we should do? lol

IMHO the important one is the "Elive" one, when we have it up we can remove the second one (of course using the useful contents from it), or we should keep the second one in order the first one its deleted again? :thinking:

Remember that the next strategy is to reference elive everywhere, like these and much other ones:

so if we have 2 articles, this can be a little problematic :thinking:

_in fact, im just looking that @triantares added EliveLinux to it and @TheTechRobo added Elive in April :stuck_out_tongue: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_Linux_distributions&action=history_

I don't think Elive actually still is a Light-weight distro but I'll add it none the less once we actually get a page up.

We don't have much choice for now as the Elive article has in fact been "rejected" and it wont allow for it to be accepted for review again.

My impression is that most editors just scan an article and look at the first few references only, so I removed those referring to you or the Elive download directly.
At least on the EliveLinux one, I'm getting some human interaction and once it's up, it can be changed back to Elive again (It's matter of 2 words in the whole article :face_with_head_bandage: ).

Edit

Just edited Light-weight Linux distribution - Wikipedia to point to the EliveLinux draft.
At least that's something, for now.
Feel free to add that (temporary) link to light-weight-distribution yourself. :smiley14:

So we'll make one that comes as close as possible to the .png but in that case it might be helpful to have the B/W one as a starting point.

@Thanatermesis
If you find some time, you might add the images in Logos and Banners of Elive - Elive Linux to wikimedia commons so that they can easily be used by others without any licensing problems.

As well some more screenshots, especially of the older versions.

1 Like

No, it's been overlooked or whatever. Other later requests were already answered and looking at those answers doesn't make me want to ask again.

At least I've got some human interaction now so I'm treading gingerly here.
I did see a sort of opening to a Linux project for which I don't have time.

Maybe something for you i.e it's in your interest sphere (Linux) and could jack up your editor status a tad. :madness:
Wikipedia:WikiProject Linux - Wikipedia

This thread has gotten to 105 posts. High time we cleaned out junk. :ohmygod:

Done. :dance::happy_dance::happybounce:

1 Like

i added that so our article would get more attention

how did you remove so many without ruining the flow?! xd

UPDATE: it's here and someone gave an answer thats actually useful!!!

Hi! Why is article Draft:Elive rejected? i cannot figure it out. please help. TheTechRobo (talk) 16:27, 15 June 2020 (UTC)

Response:

Hello, TheTechRobo3641, and welcome to the Teahouse. The rejection, late in May, was by 1292simon and the stated reasons were external links in the body of the draft, and being promotional. Another editor seems to have removed all the inline external links in the last few days, and that should not be a reason for rejection in any case. In my view the draft currently does have a rather promotional tone. Such phrases as: allows the user to try it before actually installing., Press coverage stayed favorable nonetheless, with especially Linux Magazine and Linux Journal touting the tight integration of the E17 window manager. and The 64-bit release brings all the perks of a 64-bit OS... are more than a bit promotional. The draft should be rewritten to be morem Neutral I haven't looked into the cited sources and if they are enough to establish notability. DES (talk)DESiegel Contribs 17:10, 15 June 2020 (UTC)

So now we can make an improved one

There is currently a redacted version with which I recieved help from a senior editor (that's what the responder means) who initially moved the article to drafts. He removed all promotional text. it's to be seen under the elivelinux name.
It should be acceptable in this form IMO.
I'm waiting for the acceptance of that one, so hold your horses...after which we can move it to Elive.
For now Elive has had too many rejections and comments which clearly doesn't help in getting it accepted i.e the first bias is a no.

Feel free to edit draft:elive to your taste but for now do not submit it.

They should read articles like the ElementaryOs one.....now that's promotional. :ohmygod:

1 Like

why not? :slight_smile: try to install the 32bit version in a small machine, you end up with a system using 150 MB of ram with everything running (actual beta versions) note that the installer is dynamic in what is going to be installed, that's the same (probably less? not sure) than the stable 3.0 version, but yeah, older versions are lighter (specially in browsers! you can browse the net without being bottleneck at the first tab)

sounds good :slight_smile:

mmh, I have a good amount that I can collect and publish in a specific place, we should create a task somewhere about this but lets wait first to have teh wikipedia working in order to improve the parts

hum, not sure to understand, what I should do with this? btw seems like they has linux templates and the debian article seems to be a good one

ok so we should not use links in words, that's correct? and only in the references & external links sections? hum... makes sense

ok so we need to take care about how to use the words to find the most neutral and informative tone... which maybe puts me in a lower level to edit the article lol

what about the articles / magazines it says? im not sure to understood... it is bad to say that appears in linux magazine? (i think its good to reference these articles?), or maybe the issue is "how" it is said that appeared in linux magazine? (words used) :thinking:

yeah! it was good info :applause:

sounds very good :smiley:

unfortunately we cannot have in the end "two articles of elive" (one as the real one and another for dump all improvements without worry to have a rejection or similar), but I assume that with caution we can edit it over the time to improve things (more articles links, if this is not a bad thing, so stills not very clear to me lol, more informational text, updates, etc...)

ok let me tell a bit about it, it all started with a donation for a custom version https://www.elivecd.org/download/custom-linux-distro/ (it was a 100$ offer on that moment and included a selection of the packages, IIRC), they where an university which liked elive and wanted to use it for their classes, because it was a friendly and beautiful linux, unlike much linux/unix systems which seemed to be not so much, I have somewhere a photo of a classroom using elive which In fact could be good to use somewhere "universities using elive" :slight_smile: ... in the end they didn't requested any details for that custom distro but seems like they started to do it my their own, which is of course much better and allow more possibilities, specially if they are studing how linux works internally, I really don't have idea on what this ended or what they did, I was added in their github to help collaborating with an userguide / manual for elive (yes you can found it actually on these repos) which they did a lot of work but i never found the time to work on that, and this is more or less that :slight_smile: I sincerely don't know on what ended that customization or if there's any, its probably a private project of the university, im a bit curious in any case but not checked much more in the end

which thing? an emoticon like this?: :-1:

1 Like

Well, you can have links to other articles, e.g. it is based on debian not it is based on debian.

well, @triantares said that once it's accepted we'd move it to elive

no, like :1down: for mario losing a life compared to :1up for him gaining a life (:1up:)

Kind of when something bad happens, the opposite of :1up:

Do you have any idea which uni that was, there must have been some communication?

Wikipedia has articles of Canada based St Paul and there's one in Manilla.
Undoubtedly there are more St Paul Universities in the world but those 2 have WP entries and if it's one of them, it would be very cool to add the internal link. :thinking:

oh i see now, got it, didn't know that :slight_smile:

ah I see, but btw see that the added emoticons are all with a "positive mood" :wink: this is of course to promote the positive behaviour / use of the forum (which is not needed at all, but that was the idea), negative-mood emoticons there's only this one aparently: :ohmygod: , all the other ones are positive-feeling :slight_smile: - they are also a bit "generic feeling" (meaning that can be used for different things, like "my pizza burnt :ohmygod::ohmygod:" ), I have searched a good amount of them and didn't see more than the actual ones that can be useful :slight_smile: , so maybe the :ohmygod: can be used for when something bad happens? :happy:

mmh, i have some emails but i dont found other ones (like the photos they sent me), i should have them somewhere.... hum!

the correct domain is from saintpaul.edu

yeah but could be better to have more details, like the photos, and some results published by them about elive (if they have this info somewhere)

there's also this GitHub - FOSSClass/AbantOS-Elive: README for AbantOS (Elive/Debian Custom Distribution) Pick a Section, fork, edit, commit, pull, merge

what we are talking about? :slight_smile:
elive used svn as a repo in the past (and before, cvs lol), but now uses git because of its superiority, by other side the translations is the only thing that stills used by our old svn, but only for its translations commits (and not the applications source codes, only the translated messages)

1 Like

Ah, that's a College in St Paul Minnesota.... Just added it to the draft.
They have their own WP page.
Very good. :happy_dance:

Yep, already there as an external link/reference

This, under "repository":

shot-2020-06-16_18-22-21

unfortunately their page is too much generic, otherwise we could have mentioned about abantos / elive on their page :slight_smile:

ah ok, well, svn is old, not worth to be considered for the wikipedia page :thinking: