3.7.13 alpha testing

exactly :woman_shrugging:

what I mean also is that this is the only reason you should have to see this message, unless Im missing something...

BTW @triantares, which one is the message that you see?

The installer is already running. Wait for the process to be finished, or reboot the computer, if you are unable to launch the installer again.

or

Installer already running. Please do not run an application twice. One click is enough to launch an application.

?

looking at the "the" first word looks like the first message...

how i can reproduce the issue? :thinking: how do you launch the installer? (from where), I assume it directly says that? Did you launched (correctly) it before? it happens with only 1-cpu set to vbox?

This one, when I retry. Which in fact would be logicall if it was running......but it isn't running. :face_with_thermometer:

That would mean a dual problem:

1. the installer kills itself after the choice of (upgrade) OS is made, it goes to the "staying alive" widget and conks out ..... it does! I waited almost an hour to see if it would revive itself....you necer know. :smiley_cat:
    1. The system doesn't know it conked out.

never happened here :expressionless: let me see if i see any reported logs.. [ nope, no logs ]

how do you run the installer? from the dock icon?

Yes from the dock. Maybe it doesn't like the Beegees anymore. :rofl2:

im running it now without problems... it sounds to me like it is running things twice at the same time (yeah this sounds confusing), have you verified that you are using a single cpu and set it to KVM? all other flags (pae / nt / nested, etc) enabled

how i can reproduce it? lol

Well with it just keeps happening so I could just run it again and again. But apparently it never gets sofar as to reporting it.
Any ideas?
And it just installs on other Vbox instances.

except for your vbox settings for this specific machine no, i have no ideas lol, this doesn't happens to me and sounds very related to the vbox specific machine :thinking:

SO: the only possible thing to do here is to compare the vbox settings between the one that works and the one that doesn't, in order to know which is the setting that makes it not work :thinking:

I suppose I could start up the live 3.7.14 on that Vbox and see if we can get reverse ssh working. :thinking:

ok, but first try to compare the vbox settings (between the machine that works and the one that doesn't) to see if there's a specific setting that causes that

just verified upgrade continues correctly here ^

This is a 64bit virtual machine. Using 2 CPUs and paravirtualization set to "default".
The other 64bit Vmachine runs Android on the same settings.
The 32 bit machines are set to 1 CPU and paravirtualization set to "legacy"

Ummm, I don't get that far. Only upto the "staying alive" widget.

This specific Vmachine has never had any problems to upgrade before. :nod:

android? :thinking:

ok, try to change the settings to:

• 1 cpu
  • KVM virtualization

i dont think anything has changed on the these flags recently, but i speculate that is running the same process twice, cause by a buggy threading system (multiple cpu's or not kvm)

EliveX2 is the conky one.

well, try to change the settings as said (do not remove this vmachine, if there's a buggy setting i need to know it :slight_smile: )

we need to isolate the issue

Allright, with those settings it seems to install now. Gahhhh, didn't pay attention: It's installing in Dutch now. :face_vomiting:

After it's finished I'll try the Android one (I never use it anymore) with the "old" settings (2 core and "default") and see if that one conks out.

ok, good to know! :slight_smile: now let's see if we can detect them in order to prevent the users!

how to do that?

boot the installed system of elive, and dump all the variables from which we can get this info from, starting from the buggy conf, like:

echo > debug-broken
cat /proc/cpuinfo >> debug-broken
sudo dmidecode >> debug-broken
sudo hwinfo >> debug-broken

then reboot and boot with the good settings, do to the same to a "debug-working" file

and finally, run:

diff debug-broken debug-working

you should (probably) see an identifier (like "KVM" from /proc/cpuinfo?) that can tell us when vbox is running on the wrong settings

so that we can add them in the boot of Elive and warn the user about wrong settings that must be changed :slight_smile: :happy_dance:

On reboot I get that it wants to report a problem.

So expect some info on that.

nah, that was a stupid bug that should be solved after apug (or after 3.7.14)

announcing in 3, 2, 1... ! :madness:

1 Like

In addition I've sent the 2 debug files to your gmail address. :smiley_cat:

Now trying to install/upgrade again with the "broken settings."

And now it just simply installs. :shocked:

I hate it when that kind of stuff happens. :angry:

Mmmh, unfortunately nothing useful found, except the detection of two cpu's

I -could- send a warning to the user when vbox + more than 1 cpu, but it just works correctly on my machine :thinking:

heh

As I have said, it sounded to me like its running the same process twice, I have already seen that in virtual machines in the past, what it should happens is more like this:

• a process is run twice (because using 2 cpu's?)

or even better... :thinking:

• the process runs in a very async mode, so first set the flag file and then checks for it (instead of a linear procedure of the process, an async run of it), maybe again, because of a double thread (cpu) running

resulting in a very buggy system...

the only thing that I can do for now is to inform about that issue if running on vbox when this happens :thinking:

could help (for the detection --> inform) if you can confirm that the cause was the double cpu @triantares (not the KVM setting)