3.7.4 betatesting experiences

:excited::omgomgomg::hot::applause::love::love::love::applause::hot::omgomgomg::excited:
:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Thanks a lot @Thanatermesis I'll download it immediately (I'll ask keyra for zsync, I don't know how it works), but I'm very curious to know why my Intel Atom 2600N is recognised as 32bit only.... it's strange.... I'll try it, and for that you say that is even more optimized I must say that today I work some time with my 3.0.6 (doesn't work with 3.0.6 since some weeks while testing 3.7.x and I had been still surprised how fast 3.0.6 is in my low HP :smile: Now I'll alternate test between 32 and 64 bit releases, nice!!!

1 Like

It's all I need, thanks, simply and efficient command, I love it :applause:

We should've done that the previous time. Then I deleted the old default printer and made a new (identical one). This time there was no old printer at all so I made a new one ...... identical to the old one.

OK. :nod:

Added to Howto use E16 as your daily desktop - intro first steps entries to re-enable synaptic touchpad after suspend and how to add "onboard" to lightdm-greeter.
Maybe we need a full fledged wiki?

1 Like

So an Alpha is now my main work machine. Crazy. So fast. Dell XPS 13. I kinda like the Winter theme and no issues yet, but as I will be using it constantly now, likely will report some soon...incredibly promising so far - :excited:

3 Likes

Not 100%. :disbelief:
I think the "user-only" option is very nice if you want to rehabilitate a completely messed up system. Otherwise one would be copying back all the junk that caused the mess in the first place.

I doubt that persists on an installed system after a reboot.
The better systemwide (debian)GUI option is to use "sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" as already mentioned here: Howto use E16 as your daily desktop - intro first steps

I do not think the time is right for testing e17/e22 yet but that is for Thana to decide.
As long as we're in alpha/beta testing I think that the live-boot shouldn't even offer the option of chosing but go straight into e16....for now.

The user always will have the option to log out and then log into the other DEs. Allowing to chose at first boot just creates expectations which cannot be upheld in a short timeframe.

It makes forum posts messy getting the two (or three) mixed up ...... methinks a separate e17/e22 beta testing howto wiki entry would be good too.:thinking:
That way e17 lovers can help each other out in creating own modules, fixes and suggestions until @Thanatermesis starts working on it. :heart_eyes:

I will reinstall my old Aspire One Acer notbook with it today :slight_smile: Looking forward to it

1 Like

See if you can post your experiences and questions here( to avoid misunderstandings and cllutter):
https://forum.elivelinux.org/t/3-7-4-32bit-betatesting-experiences

thanks, fixed! (apug)

mmh i suggest to have a specific howto per specific topic, for example one about touchscreens setups, on which you can include multiple things like onboard for lightdm... and another howto for E16 first tests :thinking:

for your 1gb ram machine, you may want to switch to the 32bit version, is a bit lighter specially in ram usage, unless you really need 64bit support https://eliveisos.elivecd.org/betatest/32bit/ (you can just reinstall the system using the migration mode too)

if you do, tell me if you notice the system lighter / faster :slight_smile: (you may want to play a bit more with the 64bit version first)

but in the end, it leads to only 2 options:

• clean install, where you can copy back all the things and importing everything yourself, in your full control
  • migrate / import in an automated way, as much as the installer can handle it automatically / smartly

yeah it is not ready for test, it has "nothing" and its all up to the user, in fact i think that they should be removed and only leaved e16 :thinking: but i need to find a way that the user knows "hey, there's a much nicer setup on e17 on the stable versions!"

I mean, something that the users will READ :slight_smile:

1 Like

since these versions includes e16 and not a newer one (which also means the lack of many features that we know from 3.0 stable), it should be correct to call it beta instead of alpha ? or just keep it "alpha" ?

I'm all for going Beta but only if e17 and e22 are removed from initial offering on first boot.
On alpha we can defend non configured DEs being there .... not later.

1 Like

sounds good to me... now we need to know a way to make the user know hey, the stable version has a much better and featured desktop uppon e17 with tons of features and special effects and bla bla, here you are using e16 and its very different!"

how to do that ? :slight_smile: (since users don't read)

Well that would be for the website and the download page ....... considering it will boot into e16 by default.
Methinks a few dedicated screenshots and vids would be helpful there.

It (e16) should actually be intrinsic part of the 3.7 promotion. ...... And in that sense it might be worth our while to get e16 devs aboard (more) to help us out. Let' s call that a win/win (though it's rather outdated terminologie: maybe "mutual benefit") situation. They get pulled out of a threatening oblivion and we get an ueber cool unique desktop. :applause:
Requires some thought before jumping in the deep end, heh? :happy:

Like use a warning wallpaper/background image on first opening if USER switches to e17/e22 ....you know: Really an "in your face" image that we are not responsible (yet) if it doesn't work [or their house burns down :hot:].
I was wanting to work on that (as promised) but then the Gimp - Mypaint troubles got in the way. :disbelief:

Upgraded my 2 Laptop to 3.7.4 64 bits
Everythin went fine but the same wireless weird thing happened

INstaller offer me to connect to Internet
I see the WiFi Network and click on it
As " I know here the the WiFi / network gadget ( top left) " I click my Wifi Network again, it's not asking for the password

I wait and click again the WiFi network and now it's asking for the password and the internet connection is established

Experienced users won't have problem with that
But non experienced user or those not seeing where is the Network applet after the 1st failed attempt to connect, could look a bit for how to initiate the internet connection

Had the same (again). It's due to that we go into live and don't wait for the whole shebang to configure but go straight to the installer. It has to do with us getting so used to installing and upgrading that we don't evenlook at what the live-boot does. :rofl:

1 Like

Found another annoying issue.
On my main box (8core AMD 16G mem GTX1050 and 4K monitor) it boots sweetly and with no issues fires up properly on the 4K monitor. But.... I have 2 pointing devices (Kingston trackball and Logitech Trackman) I use them both at the same time but elive refuses to use more than the Kingston trackball. :frowning:

What does "hot plugging" do for you? I.e boot with only the logitech attached and then plug in the Kingston.

When I perform a "hot plug" of my Logitech wireless mouse in 3.7.4 64 is not recognize by system until I doesn't move my finger on the touchpad. As soon as I move the touchpad wireless mouse start to work. Hope that may help.

That's a double denial so I'm not actually clear on what you mean.
What I meant was : have the problematic one inserted at boot and then hot plug the other (working one) when the system is up.

@Thanatermesis the second "connect to internet" occurs when the installer wants to update itself but cannot find a connection (yet).