3.7.4 betatesting experiences

thanks, fixed! (apug)

mmh i suggest to have a specific howto per specific topic, for example one about touchscreens setups, on which you can include multiple things like onboard for lightdm... and another howto for E16 first tests :thinking:

for your 1gb ram machine, you may want to switch to the 32bit version, is a bit lighter specially in ram usage, unless you really need 64bit support https://eliveisos.elivecd.org/betatest/32bit/ (you can just reinstall the system using the migration mode too)

if you do, tell me if you notice the system lighter / faster :slight_smile: (you may want to play a bit more with the 64bit version first)

but in the end, it leads to only 2 options:

• clean install, where you can copy back all the things and importing everything yourself, in your full control
  • migrate / import in an automated way, as much as the installer can handle it automatically / smartly

yeah it is not ready for test, it has "nothing" and its all up to the user, in fact i think that they should be removed and only leaved e16 :thinking: but i need to find a way that the user knows "hey, there's a much nicer setup on e17 on the stable versions!"

I mean, something that the users will READ :slight_smile:

1 Like

since these versions includes e16 and not a newer one (which also means the lack of many features that we know from 3.0 stable), it should be correct to call it beta instead of alpha ? or just keep it "alpha" ?

I'm all for going Beta but only if e17 and e22 are removed from initial offering on first boot.
On alpha we can defend non configured DEs being there .... not later.

1 Like

sounds good to me... now we need to know a way to make the user know hey, the stable version has a much better and featured desktop uppon e17 with tons of features and special effects and bla bla, here you are using e16 and its very different!"

how to do that ? :slight_smile: (since users don't read)

Well that would be for the website and the download page ....... considering it will boot into e16 by default.
Methinks a few dedicated screenshots and vids would be helpful there.

It (e16) should actually be intrinsic part of the 3.7 promotion. ...... And in that sense it might be worth our while to get e16 devs aboard (more) to help us out. Let' s call that a win/win (though it's rather outdated terminologie: maybe "mutual benefit") situation. They get pulled out of a threatening oblivion and we get an ueber cool unique desktop. :applause:
Requires some thought before jumping in the deep end, heh? :happy:

Like use a warning wallpaper/background image on first opening if USER switches to e17/e22 ....you know: Really an "in your face" image that we are not responsible (yet) if it doesn't work [or their house burns down :hot:].
I was wanting to work on that (as promised) but then the Gimp - Mypaint troubles got in the way. :disbelief:

Upgraded my 2 Laptop to 3.7.4 64 bits
Everythin went fine but the same wireless weird thing happened

INstaller offer me to connect to Internet
I see the WiFi Network and click on it
As " I know here the the WiFi / network gadget ( top left) " I click my Wifi Network again, it's not asking for the password

I wait and click again the WiFi network and now it's asking for the password and the internet connection is established

Experienced users won't have problem with that
But non experienced user or those not seeing where is the Network applet after the 1st failed attempt to connect, could look a bit for how to initiate the internet connection

Had the same (again). It's due to that we go into live and don't wait for the whole shebang to configure but go straight to the installer. It has to do with us getting so used to installing and upgrading that we don't evenlook at what the live-boot does. :rofl:

1 Like

Found another annoying issue.
On my main box (8core AMD 16G mem GTX1050 and 4K monitor) it boots sweetly and with no issues fires up properly on the 4K monitor. But.... I have 2 pointing devices (Kingston trackball and Logitech Trackman) I use them both at the same time but elive refuses to use more than the Kingston trackball. :frowning:

What does "hot plugging" do for you? I.e boot with only the logitech attached and then plug in the Kingston.

When I perform a "hot plug" of my Logitech wireless mouse in 3.7.4 64 is not recognize by system until I doesn't move my finger on the touchpad. As soon as I move the touchpad wireless mouse start to work. Hope that may help.

That's a double denial so I'm not actually clear on what you mean.
What I meant was : have the problematic one inserted at boot and then hot plug the other (working one) when the system is up.

@Thanatermesis the second "connect to internet" occurs when the installer wants to update itself but cannot find a connection (yet).

@triantares i think that your last convo was for @Hammer459 and not for @maxinou?

@Hammer459 about persistence: how you actually created it ? we are talking about the alpha versions, right ?

In fact, persistence seems like is not possible to work on iso-hybrid mode, usb isos needs to be created for that (first error: unable to know last partition size), and its also not possible to create easly more partitions on the usb media made from this iso-hybrid structure (specially from cli tools)

so then we will have:

• 64bit: usb mode
  • 64bit: iso mode
  • 32bit: usb mode
  • 32bit: iso mode

:exploding_head:

-maybe- we only need:

• 64bit USB mode
  • 32bit ISO (dvd) mode

the second one will not support persistence, and there's no sense to make it working for this version, in the same way, there's no sense to boot from a DVD device in recent computers

by other side, i -think- that hte USB mode doesn't supports efi (or it was secureboot?), so im testing this now...

@Thanatermesis
Confirmed the upgrade of 3.0.6 (32Bit) to 64bit is a total disaster (not really data wise, I cloned the disk to a virtualbox)
Installer messes up due to LVM or LUKS using sda. But switching off and rebooting is to no avail.
Opting for "no" (twice) does the trick and the installer continues.

I haven't tried everything yet but the glaring things are when booting (the updater should've sent you the reports around 19.00 Amsterdam time using my protonmail addres):

• The upgraded system boots straight into e17 (which was the default in 3.0.6)
  • On logging out to get into e16, does not offer my $USER but "Elive User" and an old /home entry.
    Chosing "other ... ' and manually entering my old $USER and password works.
    *Programin former system that required a "service" to be run (own builtin mysql) is not there as a service anymore.
    In E16 menu:
  • Most graphics apps are gone, leaving only Gimp and Gtkam
  • audio only cplay
  • video only Devede
  • no soffice
    etc, etc.
    To be fair,quite some progs like soffice, inscape ,rage,vlc, etc. are there and can be started from terminal....but definitely not all.
    Previously self installed apps like guake, mc, are not there anymore.
  • previously installed Java is gone

I will not touch the install for now as I suspect there's stuff to be examined. :face_with_head_bandage:

My advice to others:
If you have valuable data or programs

Do not upgrade 3.0.6(x32) straigh to 3.7.x(x64) !

Will try to go the 32bit upgrade another day, after I put 3.0.6 back in it's original state. :innocent:

1 Like

@triantares

hum, i should perform a complete similar setup i a vbox to check and fix all your reports, but in short, answering you now:

• lvm/luks should be recyclated / used correctly, i dont quite understand your issue btw (switching what? but it installed? mmh confused)

this is because your previous user had this desktop set as default (if we limit 3.7.x to only e16, should fix the problem, so no more e17 available (:fearful:)

this is because that was the name of the user and not the username, so every elive user created previously was by default just set to "Elive User", the new user-manager features includes that improved (John Smith entry), and... well, is not possible to change that unless adding more popupped questions in the installer for each user (painful task, really needed?), this info is saved in /etc/passwd IIRC

in short, when you have enter with your username it was the same as this "Elive User" one

that depends of how (where) you installed it, for example:

if you "make install" it, its installed by default in /usr/local which is the default local system install, this place is maintained and should work. If you installed from a package this is of course overwritten by the entire new system dump. If you installed in /opt it should be probably respected too but i dont remember now if was included or not

so first thing to know is "how you installed it before?" and then let's see if this location can be respected or not possible

this is strange, but the e16 conf was similar the new ones, right? (not coming from 3.0 stable)
it doesn't makes sense to me if is a new one, sounds like the menus was not generated (or it failed?) try to re-generate the menus from the maintenance menu of e16

they are only saved (re-installed) if you added them in the list:

sudo scite /etc/elive/packages_to_maintain_installed

same as before, "how" it was installed?

in other words, i dont really see issues with your install :slight_smile: (let's say no issues for normal users) except a few details you said :thinking:, the 32bit->64bit change doesn't looks like to affect anything

@triantares @yoda I found the issue about the network thingy, this happens because dbus was not launched (sometimes) at first destkop start in live mode, this would give other issues in other apps too, its easy to know if you open a terminal and run "thunar", it should NOT show any dbus errors (if it does, is because dbus is not used on the desktop)

this should never happen in the installed mode (so is easy to verify with that previously said trick)

i will research for solve this issue, probably caused because dbus was not initated before to run the desktop (too fast destkop startup in systemd stuff)

1 Like

@triantares Im looking your logs, the install looks to have went fine in the (last, only) reports but seems like it had some issues with the disks / partitions before to upgrade the system, I will try to reproduce the problem in a vbox since is not easy to know what happened, can you tell me which type of install you had previously with 3.0 ? (encrypted / msdos|gpt / autopart / etc)

Leave it, it will not work ...

Better clean install -
which is also more intelligent as to struggle with this outdated crab at all.

Why do you all look at me like this right now,
it's the truth :worried:

Well there's 64 bit 3.7.4 there on sda5 (12G) and IIRC 3.0.6 on sda2 (23.5G) with a (very)large /home partition (196.9G).
All were gpt partitions and IIRC only the 3.7.4 was (if at all, but I doubt it was) using LVM. No encryption anywhere.

This is the list by Clonezilla:

sda sda 238.5G disk TOSHIBA THNSNF25
sda1 |-sda1 2M part
sda2 |-sda2 6G part swap
sda3 |-sda3 23.5G part ext4
sda4 |-sda4 196.9G part ext4
sda5 `-sda5 12G part ext4

it will :slight_smile: there's no reason for not

while ubuntus don't even dream with upgrade modes in the installer, elive has magic powers lol

hum, "one system with lvm and other system not" ? this can be interesting (related).. :thinking:

btw i still didn't understood what you said before about lvm / luks problem you had