3.7.7 (32bits) betatesting experiences

Which probably comes down to the HD slowly going to the dogs.....or did the Acer have a SSD?

No, not SSD at none of my laptops, both are in mechanical classic HDD

If your HDs are easily accessible, you could try to replace them from the one to the other laptop and see if the slowing down is replaced with it.

1 Like

Yes, is a good idea, maybe I'll test it, but in some time, not actually.

& @Thanatermesis,

mhm,
but before this - let me bring "Pale Moon" to your kindest attention ... :nod:

check it out:

enjoy !

:omgomgomg:

1 Like

Interesting.... I'll try it from today and give my feedback, I didn't knew pale moon...

2 Likes

Well, for me as an user from the first day of the
Google appearance several years ago,
(you had to apply for becoming a member these days...)
I love the Google products and I use them a lot,
because they are really useful - for me.
I am not afraid about the data they could collect of me,
I have nothing to hide, and for financial stuff I am using other possibilities
As said above, I speak for myself.

And so
I always make sure, that I have a Gecko Browser and an Apple web kit Browser ready and up to date running on my productive machines.

1 Like

Yes, I know, but for me the problem is the money G gets with that data, they known where you park your car, where you go walking, face to which shops you stopped, and in which shops you walk in and how much time you spent inside... Nobody pays me for supply that info but I must see ads in my phone that tries to push me into those shops.... while I'm unemployed and while we discuss how to help Elive to get funds to survive....

Is not a paranoia but see how my data gives them money got me angry :disbelief:

1 Like

Well, after all day using it, at least in my slow HP Chromium is faster than Palemoon, as I can manage until 10-11 tabs open before my PC gets lazy with Chromium I got the same with only 5-6 tabs in Palemoon. Even when I'm writing this lignes my system has become unresponsive with 6 tabs and I'm finishing them with my phone.... As I can I'll edit this post with some screen shots of system monitor...

EDIT: i'm now writing from Chromium, and I opened the same 6 tabs that I had when I must kill palemoon, those are the captures of system monitor:

Palemoon with 6 tabs opened (including ProtonMail, LinkedIn and Accuradio playing music):

Now I close Transmission as I suppose that it was guilty of RAM consommation, but the result is the same:

We can see that palemoon is an unique big memory eating process below:

When I kill palemoon this is the result:

An now, Chromium, with the same 6 tabs opened and the same other apps running minimised:

As we can see chromium divides memory usage in a lot of small memory processes that I suppose they are "sleeping" until we don't call them, maybe....

Hoping those results may help.....

2 Likes

Did you ever encountered problems with
sound output of the build-in speakers ?
Am just curious, mine does sometimes not play for an unknown reason, I guess it's a hardware issue (?)

Not, never had any issue of speaker in this machine, I listen internet radios daily (I'm listening now), so it must be a HW issue in yours, if problem is aleatory maybe a wire weld that is partially broke?.

1 Like

just because the focused work is on 64bit and the result are very similar, so since it requires time (and bandwith to upload) i have not built so many 32bit versions. That should change for when they will be publicly released

that's a problem, since I want to release the 64bit ASAP and so there will be less people notified of the very waited 64bit version

these "atom" processors are really crap lol, my netbooks also are extremely slow, turning them into useless machines

so chromium is the best option, and no, its not possible to build a light version of it, all the bloat comes to the engine (like Gecko for firefox) - which btw chrom* switched to a lighter engine in the actual versions

vivaldi is not bad but requires more ram to use

that can be good for test it! I personally speculate that the slowness is on the cpu, since everything feels lagged

1 Like

Well, yes and no:
There are 2 Atom out there they are doing the job dam well, one is the dual core with 4 threads
E.g. N2600.
@triantares is fully right with his advise upgrading with a SSD - you can check out as soon you are back in the Elive laboratory,
it's waiting for you over there - you might be very surprised about the difference in performance,
it feels like a bigger machine.
Conclusion: @triantares 100 points, :ok_hand:

2 Likes

confirmed.

After a longtime use of Chromium on a weak machine (Xfce DE)
I personally can recommend Chromium.

3 Likes

Well people do read stuff on holiday.

Maybe first start announcing that it' s around the corner just waiting to be released after the last bugs get squashed. You now like "Winter is coming!" in GOT. :w00t:

Get people's expectations up ..... feed the curiosity.... send a few preview beta .iso files or screenshots to the media.
Maybe a meme or two as well. :yum:

2 Likes

preannouncement & curiosity, that's a very good point :+1:

the isos will be already beta's (that what we only have actually), and newer E will be included in an unknown future ATM :thinking:

3 Likes

BTW @Thanatermesis this week (the same day, with a few minutes lapse) my 3.7.7-32 has sent you 2 logs (I doesn't know about what, because my system ran fine :man_shrugging: ) with some issue from my llopnav GM account.

The only thing I done different that day was to hotplug an old branded Targus USB num keyboard that was the first time I plug it into 3.7.7-32

When I be asked to agree to send log, I shutdown system after that, and start again with this USB num keyboard plugged, and system asked me again to send you the issue log.... fut as I saw, system ran fine and no apparent consequence / issue in user experience...

I never saw to make a lighter version, when I wrote "Supperleggera" it was a familiar name to the new 32 bits release :wink:

And yes, at least in my slow laptops finally the best compromise is Chromium (Midori is faster but is not able to manage bookmarks / passwords from other browsers itself)

So we should start this:

https://forum.elivelinux.org/t/elives-health-foundation-funny-donation-campaigns-work-in-progresss/477/20?u=maxinou

as soon as possible if yourself and the other members of forum agrees