3.7.7 (32bits) betatesting experiences

Debian is for some reason not happy with later attached (after boot) certain input USB devices....
It happens to me when attaching a mouse, too.

Is so why after first log (in an after boot plug) I tested to boot again with keyboard plugged, and again the box to send a new issue log.

Maybe the USB keyboard is not faulty but 3.7.X (both in 64 or 32) never asked me to send an issue log until this day and the only thing different I had those day was this USB num keyboard, so I want to signal this fact

Mhm..... :thinking:

May be @Thanatermesis knows why...

I'm now installing 3.7.7-32 in my Acer that had:

/sda6 Elive 3.0.6
/sda7 Elive 3.7.4-32
/sda8 Elive 3.7.6-64

Installer detects and propose me to update 3.0.6 ---> NO, my disk are already partitioned ----> New installation formatting /sda7 as /

One time installation finished an error message that saw like if a previous installation was failed.

Reboot and grub hasn't detected 3.7.6-64, only 3.0.6 and new installed 3.7.7-32

So I inform you to investigate this issue

Mhmmmm, but all these Elive installs "shares" the same boot manager?

May be worth a try:
sudo update-grub (from 3.0.6 then)

And ?

Done in 3.7.7-32 and seems that 3.7.6-64 is not detected (but partition /sda8 is unmounted):

sudo update-grub

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for luis:
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-5-686
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-5-686
Found Elive stable 3.0.6 (7.11) on /dev/sda6
done

If I mount now /sda8 result is......

ouh shit....
May be @Thanatermesis knows how to fix the boot manger then....

I'll try to upgrade grub later from 3.0.6, I must say that in both laptops my original installation was in this order:

• 3.0.6 ext4
  • 3.7.4-32 ext4
  • 3.7.6-64 (if applicable) reiser4

In HP (32 bit only) upgrade from 3.7.4-32 to 3.7.7-32 was fine (but not reiser4 partition for 64 bit in those machine) but now, in the Acer it seems like 32 bit systems doesn't recognise the reiser4 64 bit partition

1 Like

IIRC reiser4 required a special kernel that wasn't signed. So I expect that 3.7.7 cannot see or mount the system.
You could try to boot sda8 with an external grub2 boot disk and then do a grub-update in there.
If I'm right it should see the other 2 file systems and add it to the boot stanza.

Be aware that in that case 3.7.6 will be the first (default) entry when you boot up again.

Also: 3.7.6 on reiser4 is dead in the water, might as well reinstall with ext4 now. Remember to externally
back up your personal stuff first as you'll have to format.

Ahm, (fast thinking.... :crazy_face: )
what about fstab or fuse?

@maxinou:
Very, very good idea, btw .... :upside_down_face:

Not fast enough ..... you need that kernel to see the file system so you need access to that kernel. Only way is to boot into it.

ok fine good

then shoot with grub repair on it = :stuck_out_tongue:

(if fails, you are screwed anyway) LOL

I didn't read the whole thread but are your saying not to use Reiser4 ? I have been using it on my 2 main PC since it is available from Elive.

May be you were talking about @maxinou config...

Like I said you will need to boot into it (grub2 disk)or have a reiser4 enabled Elive (3.7.6 x64) USB stick to boot with and mount sda8 from there...or "chroot" into sda8 from it and "grub-update"

.... and usually (after several hours) you get screwed or you lost patience
when it comes to issues with booting, oh - yaaa I have been there (too often)

:omfg: :money_mouth_face: :nauseated_face: :money_mouth_face: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting::rage: :broken_heart::gun::hammer::ohmygod:

It is very seldom that I cannot boot an existing OS with a supergrub disk .... so actually never had boot problems that long.
Knocking on wood there. :laughing:

Actually I'm saying that it will not be well supported, especially not if you want secure boot too.
At least that was the last I heard. Things might change, though.

so, he can not even boot from Reiser4 - what was it again (ahm fast thinking..) - /sda8/ ?
This is ... ahm, wait ahhh - a kind of irritating, isn't it?

@maxinou,
@triantares advice is good (and probably the only chance to get it to run)
boot from the install medium and do grub-update
on sda1
right, @triantares?

@yoda If you like to stay on the sunny side of life -
then stay with ext4.....
(at least with your own data!)

1 Like