3.8.2 betatest

I just checked with V3.8.4 on my Mac and I have the same problems...

Same error when starting and now 10 apps that don’t update from the apps store.

I tried few times with the same result.

Here is an update:

I deleted all the apps except the operating system that... of course... I didn’t even tried :slight_smile:

I re-installed the apps one by one, and was left with only the operating system having an update.

I re-started everything and the OS updated itself while starting. No more apps to update. And one error is different than before. But I unclicked the locales for the languages and the keyboard that I didn’t need before restarting the system...

2 Likes

Just being curious;
do you use a boot manager (like e.g. "refind") on your Mac ?
. . . . . . . . . . :work:

Well, before I installed Elive I installed MX Linux in dual-boot.
I didn’t like it so I used the app OS uninstall to get rid of it.

A few days days later I installed Elive.

Somewhere in the installations, I had to use the command update-grub in the terminal of Mint and it reinstalled Grub. I think I also had to use Boot Repair but can’t repair the moment I did.

The problem I had was that Grub would not see the second Linux after its installation.

I just can’t remember what and when I re-installed Grub and what happened to Grub when I did,

1 Like

@gtech you should not care about the applications thing, is better to not uninstall them, they will be correctly updated automatically by the elive-upgrader tool

About the messages, the first one (set console font...), try these commands:

sudo su
systemctl status console-setup
systemctl status urfkill

and show me the results

16 posts were split to a new topic: Installing Elive on a Mac hardware

Ok, I will check that this afternoon.

But about the apps update, it started with 9 and I ended up with 10 yesterday that needed to be updated. So I figured that no updating was done, even for the operating system.
So you mean that there is a Elive-upgrader tool in a menu somewhere that I should use instead or one that is doing its job automatically?

get a terminal and type: apug

Thanks, Will try it...

yes, the tool (elive-upgrader) is automated and you don't need to care about anything, the full upgrades are made in approx. each 10 days

yes that's the fastest option for you (and reliable) if you want to do it manually

1 Like

Has changed to:

sudo -i

:nod:

sudo -i It is nearly the same as sudo su - The -i (simulate initial login) option runs the shell specified by the password database entry of the target user as a login shell. This means that login-specific resource files such as .profile , .bashrc or .login will be read and executed by the shell.

sudo su Calls sudo with the command su . Bash is called as interactive non-login shell. So bash only executes .bashrc . You can see that after switching to root you are still in the same directory:

Oh...

Oh... ? :confusing:

well, yes and no....
some distros handle it different (Ubuntu / Debian)
with sudo -i you are at /root
with sudo su you are in your /home, look:

sudo -i vs sudo su

Will test it today...

Good idea... Snow Leopard is now fully functional and at 10.6.8
Yes, checking the Bios would be a good thing to do.

I downloaded Elive 3.8.6 and installed it on a DVD and will try it live first for a while.

Then I’ll go ahead with the 2 Linux partitions. Now I see why you use 3 partitions. Didn’t see it this way before, but great idea...

Btw, 3 x 160G partitions? Hard to do on a 640G :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions...

@gtech don't worry about the boot error messages (systemctl), they are fixed since 3.8.5 :slight_smile:

maybe because of the drivers :slight_smile:

The 32bit version included the 4.19 default Debian-Buster kernel, which is good for more stability and because old computers don't need a las one, but then I realized yesterday that many people that comes to the website downloads the 32bit version as a DEMO to try before to go with the 64bit version (eventually, if they), this means that most of the users actually needs an updated distro for their new machines, so since now, the version 3.8.6 includes the 5.4 and 4.19 kernels

maybe is good to keep both because of the explained reasons, and also a good way to "try with another kernel if you have a drivers issue", but this step increased the iso size in 300 MB note that when you install on your machine you will have only one of them, not both

mentions: @triantares @stoppy98 @Rebel450 @yoda

4 Likes

Yes, good thinking...

I see what you mean, and the difference it can make for the beta...

Thanks

1 Like

LOL - that's why I never became a developer, you got me :rofl2: :ohmygod: :disbelief:

2 Likes

Like in the older version