3.8.20 betatesting

what can be the cause of this? :thinking: should arandr detect them by default? is a driver problem?

I assume you mean that's an arandr issue, if updated versions has this not improved we should report that to the authors

I don't know which menu / app / widget you mean, is there any screenshot to see these issues?

well, it asks for you to connect to internet (not forced but very suggested) before to continue, it cannot know if you have a LAN cable to plug or an USB around to do that

since backported kernels are pretty stable in all our tests, maybe we should remove that message? :thinking: (I have been experimenting some unstabilities in my internet like lagged connection after 2 days of use but i don't know yet if is the kernel or another issue, @triantares @TheTechRobo have seen this with 5.10 ?)

hum, do you remember these messages so I can grep the code to search them?, update: the ones I have seen in a fast check looks correct to me

NOTE: the messages of the installer are NOT yet validated, this means that their english is going to be improved next, these messages are very old, I just need to found a bit of time to continue with the translations I have been done the recent issues

We know that Elive aims to be automated / user-friendly / working-by-default, but this question requires a LONG and detailed answer, so I needed to found a bit of time to write all down to a FAQ page, on which explains all the details of the internet / geolocation behaviours in Elive, which we can use if somebody else wants to know about these details (feel free to improve the doc) @triantares @TheTechRobo :

[quote="triantares, post:14, topic:2832"]
The Dutch widgets and Elive texts, really need looking into .... it's horrible and childish...

[quote]

That's a problem with the translations, so translators to dutch can improve this from eltrans (**note: non-validated messages are of course wrongly spoken! that's the final meaning of the validation process, this means for example that the elive-installer is 0% validated and is normal to look wrong in other languages, but others like the usb-bootable tool should be much more correct by default, try it to see, I cannot confirm how looks on dutch)

Because this also requires a long and detailed answer (which also answers your "what about if they don't speak english?" concern), I added an extra entry in the previous FAQ: For what is needed the Internet and the geolocation in Live mode? (called "Why set a default language which is not 100% guaranteed to be the wanted one?")

as said previously, this is not an issue at all, and also uses the best option being on this way

all these things are features to improve both stability and features, but to understand them correctly and the "why's" is needed to know all the details, that's why I wrote that FAQ page