3.8.8 betatesting

Are you kidding? I just zsynced 3.8.9 ...... talk about fast fast paced. :scream:
BTW, Where is it? :thinking:

Anyway, finished editing the post. :smiley14:

1 Like

Then what is the difference between running a new version on a stick in UPGRADE MODE or running elive-upgrader ??

This has been stated multiple times:

From a flashdisk/DVD you will lose personal settings, additions, 3rd party apps etc, and be set into a default E16 desktop environment. Albeit "user" settings like passwords and app configurations (think FF bookmarks and stored passwords) will be kept.

Elive-upgrader will retain your system settings as-is ...... including self created faults or misconfigurations.

I will ask differently

Does ELive-Upgraded upgrade everything / the same thing an " INstall in upgrade mode " upgrades ? And keeping our configs ?

What does running the new installer in UPGRADE MODE, upgrades that the elive-upgrader do not upgrade ?

If it's confusing for me, it will be for other....

JF
I know about the apps config etc not beeing kept runing a new installer in upgrade mode

The flashdisk installer will change your underlying system, including the removal of self installed apps and/or settings. Elive-upgrader will not do that .... it will upgrade the the installed apps to the latest version (3rd party apps too) and leave the system as is.

Both upgraders will keep the user settings, as well as the existing disk structure (partitions and filesystems) intact.

Actually, all app configs will be kept if they reside in your $HOME only the E16 (and E23) settings will be changed.

Isn't running the new USB stick WITH new version of elive, the only simple way to upgrade to newer kernel ? Elive-upgrader won't upgrade kernel ?

Also when I ran a new install in upgrade mode, I always lost several .config/apps files needing me to bring them back manually :wink: SO what are you talking about when saying " Both upgraders will keep the user settings " if I need to backup and bring back manually those .config folders myself every time I ran an installer in UPGRADE MODE ?

:wink:

No, it wont. If you're happy with your current running system there's no need for that.

Not if they're in your $HOME directory, albeit some apps (like FF) do change stuff when they're upgraded to a newer version, requiring user input. That is not due to Elive though.
If you had stuff installed and configured in /usr/share you'll find them changed too.

I think you're muddling up recollections. :thinking:
Again:
All your E16 (E23) configs will be reset to default (or first-run) settings. though.

all my apps (I installed manually using apt install package) , everytime were not (their config)anymore in ./config I had to copy past them there else their config would be lost

I don't remember though if I backed up ./config myself or if the installer created an OLD folder...

Frankly I've never seen that behaviour. Are you sure?

At every upgrade I had to Copy/Paste some config folder....
Else those apps config were lost...

Can you be more specific as to which ones?
And this is getting slightly off-topic here. :thinking:

I just say upgrade and update are complex for noobies and I experienced it everytime with "custom app" but you're right, This TOPIC is 3..8.8 betatesting so I'Ll stop here :wink:

Exactly ..... It is after all beta testing.
Noobies dwell here at their own risk and peril. :smiling_imp:

there's not :slight_smile: , the changes are made on the source code and so it will be included in the next build, so the future 3.8.10, it should not blank screen (energy saving suspend mode) anymore

more exactly "switched to the (new) default ones provided by elive"
but in any case, tell us which configs exactly you need to recover, to see if they can be implemented in the installer to be recyclated in some way

(yes, maybe this should be discussed in a different thread, like the specific one for the howto/faq about this topic, which btw it answers the question that I have read previously about the difference between elive-upgrader (tool) and upgrade-mode (reinstalling elive)

1 Like