3.8.9 betatest

You could use a program like "top" to see what's going on i.e what's using or hogging your CPU as the fan typically cools exactly that.
There are more options to single out programs and stop them but "top" is essentially the easiest as you can kill a process by hitting k and entering the pid of the process you want to kill and in what way.

Another package you can install is "lm-sensors" after which you'll have the "sensors" command available. That'll allow you to monitor temperature and voltage values as well as indicate where the specific limits of your machine lie.

Yes, you can upgrade a kernel by installing it, they're all in the repositories ...... but if all your hardware works as it should, you don't need to. This is a case of "fix it till it breaks" opposed to "leave well enough alone". :madness:
When installing anyway, take care to use the same type of kernel as you already have installed and make sure to read this before you do:

And if you still want to upgrade, read this Howto:

I was assuming that upgrade the kernal for Elive produced by zsyncing upgrade for example from Elive64 bit 3.7 to 3.8.9 , that way am using the kernal already optimized by Elive

Meanwhile i will try the temperature suggestions above.

On the issue of battery charger remaining hot even when the battery if full, Used not to happen before

Going to try out an experiment removing the battery while plugged into power

No, "zsync" is only a clever way to download the iso, nothing else.

There could be multiple reasons for that and you can check using the "power-manager" at what rate it is discharging if the adaptor is unplugged.

My general experience in such a case is that it's due to worn or dirty contacts in the plug, the charger reaching the ens of it's life, a short circuit in one of the cables or even on the motherboard ........ but all in general, hardware based.

1 Like

Discharge rate of my battery dropped dramatically from 1.5 hours to about 45 minutes after full charge but i attribute that to heavy use of laptop these days and multiple applications running at the same time including browser unblockable flash videos which run when having multiple tabs.

You may be right with the battery charger issue being hardware related because when i removed the battery fully charged it is cold and the charger is still hot. So will check on the plugs . Thanks for taking me through the bug busting :applause:

Tip

If you're running Firefox, install the "NoScript" addon.
That'll keep those pop-ups and flash stuff away.
At first you'll be needing to allow (temporarily if need be, or to test) certain scripts from certain sites but after a while you've got most running as they should and don't need to take any actions anymore.

1 Like

My power statistics as soon as i unplugged at 100% . seems like my battery is dying 46.4% capacity

For a modern laptop voltage I find 11.6V fairly low.
On top a 16.7W discharge is fairly high too compared to my 9.7W, do you have any CPU intensive apps running?
In general "web content" is on the top of my CPU consumption list in "top"

This my Top data. Webcontent is right up there. The power hungry programs i run are firefox and Libre office. I see a lot of K programs here most likely due to install KDE based programs like Okular. I hope thats not whats increasing my battery consumption

Those are kernel related commands not KDE.
Your machine isn't very stressed by the looks of it so a high power consumption isn't due to software IMO.

Ok great then i will continue to trouble shoot with all the tips you have provided

1 Like

Note that the kernel 5.2.0 you said is not included in the beta version 3.8.9 of this thread

Just make sure you don't use browsers (bloated monsters that eat all resources) to verify if you have an issue with your batteries or with Elive itself, then you can see if the updated browsers (or kernel) has made a change in the life of your batteries, testing things independently

Also check from the "conky" gadget, "sudo htop" or "gnome-system-monitor" if there's something that is eating your resources (cpu), and use e16 which is the default provided desktop ATM (or, make sure that the cause is not because of another window-manager)

Avery interesting tool (for intel cpu) is "powertop" albeit a commandline program.
I've used it extensively whilst traveling and it can easily double your battery life. A life saver for older batteries.

It's in the repositories, so "api powertop" will suffice.

If you have tips about how to improve battery life, share them in a #howtos :slight_smile:

2 Likes