32bit dies in 2020/2021

Big distros drop 32bit support.
Now Ubuntu, too.

(use translator, If interested)

Some will say:
' Great, then Elive can jump in the gap'
ya, great idea - but from where to take 32bit applications then...

From debian of course, as always.
Debian is the only distro since about 2013 that also allows non-PAE kernels.
Maybe Ubuntu needs to change its name now that it is becoming a "first world only" distro.:face_with_head_bandage:

2 Likes

its normal
they are so bloated that they simply not works good on 32 bit systems lol

lol yeah

I have read recently some 32bit limitation that will end in a similar "year 2000" effect in some years (but worse), but if im not wrong is not really related to the 32bit part, it originated as a 32bit limitation but in fact every app can be updated to not be affected by it (being still 32bit)

3 Likes

Let me bring to your attention
that Debian does not develope applications
for the users de.

I encountered the same issue with the PowerPC
platform before.

A computer that can just run an OS and some
terminal based apps is useless -
also useless to maintain or support an OS then.

It aint any funny, btw.

At least the driver Support aside from many other things is working oob.
May be you should have a look over your plate and try a Xubuntu or Lxde with Open Box .
These just run.

1 Like

I'm not sure what you mean by that but it isn't what I meant.
What I was pointing out is that Elive (as does/did Ubuntu) is based on the debian repositories.
As long as they support 32bit, there will be a source for packages.

Debian is not an enterprise (like ubuntu) it's community run ...... the community defines what stays or goes.

3 Likes

Ubuntu just retracted their decision ..... after massive outcry.
Meaning: They'll try again once they think they can get away with it.:sniff:

1 Like

Well, it’s about the same feeling when you can’t install some new apps from Apple store because your OS-X is too old and your Mac not supported anymore by Apple.

Must be the same with Windows, I don’t remember :wink:

1 Like

No it's not the same with windows. The 32 bits support is still pretty good in windows. A lot of apps that dropped the support for 32 bit environment on linux are still developed on the windows side most of the times.
While Mac-os is the most extreme. They drop support for computers whose architecture it's not so old at all. Take windows 10: runs smoorthly on a intel core2duo t6600 @2,2Ghz based laptop, while doesn't support anymore iMacs with some older i3/i5 which are way better performing (just security updates in the best case). And the funny thing is that on windows 10 basically every single setting is available: for example wsl can run on my laptop despite it does not have VT-x (while wsl in recent updates relies on virtualization). MS stuff is bloated, for sure, but it runs on anything decent basically.

1 Like

Thanks for the details... as I mentioned, I’ve been aways from Windows for so long, using only a Mac, that I wasn’t sure...

I just received a new laptop with Win 10 that I will keep, but I admit I’m lost now when I use it and will keep it just in case I need a Win app, but stick to Linux now :wink:

2 Likes

If it's brand new and you use windows just a for few apps (unless is really heavy one) maybe you should just run a VM. I did it when i needed ssms for sql server!

1 Like

mentioned especially @Thanatermesis, co @triantares

I think supporting the i386 platform is a good chance for Elive;
as discussed many times earlier herein...

So, now I found this interesting announcement from Moonchild (Pale Moon):
" Note for Linux users: With CentOS 6 going end-of-life, this version will be the last for which we will be building 32-bit Linux official binaries to download. While your distribution may choose to continue offering 32-bit versions of the browser, built from source by the maintainers, we won't be offering any further official 32-bit Linux binaries on our website. Please check with your distribution's package maintainers to know if further 32-bit support will be available on your particular flavor of Linux. "
(taken from: Pale Moon - Release Notes )

Is it possible for our 'distro', what do you think -
Pale Moon would be also a very good candidate as browser per default. WE think...
Looking forward to your reply...
:surprise:

Well it would depend on which libraries they need in their source.
Simply building for 32 bit from source wouldn't be too hard or time consuming but actually having to change or replace internal 64 bit dependencies would get messy. :thinking:

Once 32bit support is officially dropped, it wont take long before 64 bit stuff gets included that doesn't have a 32 bit counterpart ....... it's only a matter of time.
Simply said, the whole 32bit ecosphere will be obsolete within a foreseeable period of time. Whether we like it or not ..... I mean do you even remember 16bits. :shocked:

1 Like

Alas true, methinks.
But until the programmed dead of the "i368" Platform, we could serve with what we got.
Am curious about what @Thanatermesis point of view is about that - since he ist very observant with having a small footprint, much speed on legacy hardware and so on. He also loves too much to complain about bloated sw. And so - for what all these efforts nowadays, the up to date hardware is that mighty and overdubbed (!!!) those gives a f.. if an app consumes 300Mb more or less, even on speed consumes, those machines are dreaming bored all day long .....
Do we need a proof of concept again, @triantares ?

I guess.... :nod:

1 Like

Head up:
The foreseeable date is:
April 2023.

1 Like