A pointer for the 3.8.17 installer about efi boot

04 October 12.53 local time EU-Adam with logging enabled.

doing an upgrade from 3.8.13 to 3.8.17

Lenovo X1 carbon 3rd gen with a single encrypted ssd.

On install start it asks for partitioning and asks for an efi partition and then the partitions are shown.

• Given that the machine was fine before, that is what I would call a very unclear message. No ordinary person should have to worry about stuff like that.

The upgrader should simply follow the existing setup without confusing messages like that.

If at all it should ask (beforehand?) if the existing setup was to my liking yes/no and proceed on that premise.

I'm a fairly seasoned Elive installer/upgrader but even I was thrown aback by the question and not even sure what exactly was needed of me.

So in a reflex opted for the 7Mb Bios/boot partition which (I shoud've thought of that) is the legacy boot option (the installer stumbled over) and subsequently hosed it as well as the efi setup in the process ..... thus making the machine non-bootable.

Booting with a GrubRescueDisk works to get the system up and running ..... but reinstalling the uefi/mbr options isn't as straight-forward as doing `"sudo grub-install /dev/sda", alas.

I tried all kinds of tricks until I was sure to have thoroughly hosed all my boot options.
In the process I did discover a few cool tricks to get rid of old cruft in the bootloader using "efibootmgr". :magick:

Ultimately, I backed up my $HOME and did a clean install which by itself isn't a bad thing as i do tend to try out a lot of stuff, leaving all sorts of cruft lying around. :smiley14:

So pointer being: Ask the person upgrading if a change is wanted and if not: Leave well enough alone.

1 Like