Any way to enable Intel's Quick Sync Video codec on Intel Baytrail?

On the HP Pavilion's last night running 3.8.32 before clean installing 3.8.34 (Hey, I downloaded it the day before 3.8.35 dropped) but I need to know if anyone knows how to unlock Baytrail's video encoding capabilities QSV? I used to use this laptop to livestream to youtube using h.264 with QSV at 1080p60 under Windoze and I intend to be able to do it again under Elive.

Intels QSV is a hardware driver, built into the kernel (or not) and "ffmpeg", which means it should already be enabled/working if the hardware is there.
If you do see differences in CPU usage compared to Windoze ..... go complain at Intel, it's their code. :wink:

To see what's usable, enter the "vainfo" command (if you're bored:give it the "-a" flag) and see what's supported on your machine. If all is OK then there shouldn't be any "errors" in the output.

No worry, the same download link works for 3.8.35.

According to The info at Intel, Baytrail has QSV; my problem is that it is not showing up as an option within the OBS Studio that came with 3.8.34. Is it possible to install (even if I have to build it myself) the current version from OBS' site?

~ ❯❯❯ vainfo -a
libva info: VA-API version 1.17.0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_10
libva error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so init failed
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 1
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_8
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.17 (libva 2.10.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) Bay Trail - 2.4.1
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileMPEG2Simple :VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Simple :VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileMPEG2Main :VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main :VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264Main :VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Main :VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264High :VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264High :VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264StereoHigh :VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Simple :VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Main :VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced :VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileNone :VAEntrypointVideoProc
VAProfileJPEGBaseline :VAEntrypointVLD

I'm hoping the libva error in line 5 isn't stopping me from accessing the QSV encoder settings.

Would you know the command line for displaying the encoder's capabilities along the lines of resolution, fps, output profile, level?

yes this means it has failed. If it had worked, the "-a" output would've been very much longer... too long to simply copy/paste here. :shocked:
Why I don't know (Sure it's enabled in the BIOS?). ...... my machine is running kernel 6.1.0 and works w.o errors OOTB.
On a side note here: The CPU does tend to get very much hotter (from 40 to about 97 Celcius) then on other machines when watching i.e youtube videos....so QSV does take a toll.

No, sorry.....I've never had to but there is a package one can install to do some intel debugging:
do "api intel-gpu-tools" on the commandline for that.
Once installed type "sudo intel_" and hit Tab to see available options,

Do some playing around there. :slight_smile:

I've been meaning to check that...

Thanks! Will do. Btw, the background I inquired about was in 3.8.34. Found out when I finally installed it this morning.