ASUS EeePC 1015CX blank screen after installation

well, that's true and an important point :thinking:

by other side this is a future feature that we don't need in current alphas, e16 doesn't require GL/3D, so we need to think about it for when we will include newer E's (which uses GL)

I noted that for the future tasks

by other side, these are the options for when GL is enabled:

• desktop works correctly and smoother & better
  • desktop works, but more lagged than via software mode (GL card is a very bad / slow one)
  • desktop works partially, some strange things happens like black boxes and artifacts (rare cases)
  • desktop not works at all, black screen probably
2 Likes

An here you are the output in the same machine (HP Mini) from 3.0.6 stable, the 3.0 versions were those gives me this issue if OpenGL was activated while installation process:

inxi -Fxrz
System: Host: Elive-HP-3-0-6 Kernel: 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-686-pae i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.6.3)
Desktop: Enlightenment 0.17.6 Distro: Debian 7.11 wheezy
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Mini 210-4000 v: 0797200000204600000300100
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 338D v: 37.19
Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: F.08 date: 02/21/2013
CPU: Dual core Intel Atom N2600 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 512 KB
flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 6399
clock speeds: max: 1600 MHz 1: 1600 MHz 2: 1600 MHz 3: 1600 MHz
4: 1600 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.12.4 drivers: fbdev,intel (unloaded: vesa)
Resolution: 1024x600@0.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x209)
GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: ALSA v: k3.16.0-0.bpo.4-686-pae
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 01:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac:
Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac:
Card-3: Qualcomm Atheros usb-ID: 004-003
IF: null-if-id state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (3.5% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200BPVT size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 30G used: 5.6G (20%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
ID-2: swap-1 size: 5.37GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/aaa-elive.list
deb http://repo.wheezy.elive.elivecd.org/ wheezy main elive efl games ports fixes drivers multimedia non-free
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
deb http://repo.wheezy.debian.elivecd.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
deb http://repo.wheezy.deb-security.elivecd.org/debian-security wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://repo.wheezy.debian.elivecd.org/debian wheezy-backports main contrib non-free
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ggg-marillat.list
deb http://repo.wheezy.deb-multimedia.elivecd.org/ wheezy main non-free
Info: Processes: 140 Uptime: 7 min Memory: 431.2/996.5MB
Init: SysVinit runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.2
Client: Shell (zsh 4.3.17) inxi: 2.2.19

Yes , it's exactly those I meant, thanks to explain better, in any case, obviously, this should be applied in new releases, not in 3.0 ones.

Yes, it doesn't matter for the alphas, but is important for final releases, I agree that in one of my laptops (Acer 5310) while installing OpenGL was default marked, and it support it pretty well, in the other side, in my other laptop (HP Mini) I think remember (not 100% sure) that while installation was unmarked, BUT.... the dialogue box explains how enabling it my system may will fly, and avoid me that in some cases my system would be slower, but this dialog box doesn't avoid that "If system became unresponsive or you see a black screen, bla bla bla.... please log in into another terminal with those key combination to halt manually your system and reinstall it again without graphics acceleration.... bla bla bla" (that ins not also an elegant way to make the first impression to a new user of a wonderful and powerful light Linux OS)

Maybe is that happen (always in all 3.7.x-32 releases) in live mode in my HP Mini that we had understand that is doesn't "OpenGL friendly", for me as I know Elive and I'm testing those alphas to improve it is not a major issue, but for final release we should try to solve this issue because if a new user that test the live mode see the "barcode" I had in the middle of its screen there are a lot of chances that he doesn't risk to install system and go out to look for another distro

Yes, in this case the count-down window (with a small message before to prevent user to wait and don't be in panic if screen become black) is the best solution, as MS Win does from Win 3.1 when you change the screen resolution.

Actually this happens also with other distros especially on this type of computer with this (weak) GPU.
It is a shadow memory effect caused through integrated GPU which is one sharepoint between operations from CPU and RAM and GPU.
In most cases you can get rid of it with upgrading the RAM.

But for Elive 3.0.x it happens also on bigger machines, so I suspect a switch to the other video grabber (may be XRandR?) than before at this stage as the effect encountered.

I bought some weeks ago 2 GB RAM to upgrade this laptop, and I even install alphas with 2 GB (max amount of RAM allowed in this HP Mini) with the same "codebar" issue in live mode. In installed system all works fine even with 1 GB RAM (I works actually only with 1 GB RAM to test alphas with as less RAM as possible)

Strangely I never had the "codebar" issue in 3.0.X stable releases installed always with only 1 GB RAM (before I bought the 2 GB RAM module). My only issue with 3.0 was black screen at first start of installed system while E17 was configuring itself that forces me to shut off the laptop and install 3.0 again without GL

I also realized that it changes if you do a reboot from live mode
or a switch on or reboot from system installed.
For example
on my (sweet) HP Mini 2133 I encountered this issue on switch on, too
and it shows a "ghost shadow" from the last screen content for a less than a second, but it is there,
plus : - then the "barcode"....
On my (meanwhile former - because handover to Thanatermesis -) Asus Eee PC -
I had this effect only with Elive (can't remember which release yet), but it is there.
Anyway
it has to do something with the (Debian) driver, so Thanatermesis should not spend too much efforts
on it, if it isn't easy to solve - finally the video is working....

But the problem with switching the build-in display off -
AFTER login at LDM greeter login window -
and switch the video output to external ( not connected ! ) {VGA} display port (proofed and confirmed here)
deserves a higher level on attention -
that's why I sent @Thanatermesis this speficic model of the Eee PC series to his laboratory, too.
If he is in the mood :wink: he can investigate what is going on during login and so on.

These Eee PC got sold a lot here, for Spain and other countries I don't know about,
but it will be also not be rare to find, methinks (!) <-- for @triantares :nanana:

I have also this issue of "ghost shadows" from the last screen in mi HP Mini all time as system is highly solicited, and as you said, for me is a problem of low RAM+cheap VGA chipset, so for me is one of the things I must live with.

I don't know in Spain, but I think those EeePC and their clones from HP or another vendors has been very popular in Europe, my HP I bought it first week I arrived to work in France in July 2012 and I was looking for the cheapest laptop I could found with an AZERTY French keyboard map, that would let me learn to write in the "new for me" AZERTY keyboard. It costed me less that 300 € at Fnac Paris if I can remember, so I think those type of laptops due to their small size and low price were very usual in all Europe countries in first 2010 decade.

yes but as i said, if is an issue in elive tools / features it can be fixed for the stable version and newer ones, but if is a driver / hardware specific not for the stable version

to know better what is the cause, try these things:

1. elive-multiscreens:

rm -f /usr/bin/elive-multiscreens

reboot and see if the issue still happens (this will proof that this tool is the cause of the issue, you can reinstall it with "apir elive-tools" later)

1. it happens in other machines too ? (this will confirm that is a driver specific thing)

2. (if 1. is not the cause:) try if it happens in e16 too, this will confirm if the issue is by e17 itself, and so, we cannot do anything with it too since we are probably not going to use it in the future anymore

nah, ghost shadows is an issue of the window-manager which doesn't manages it correctly (or more speicifically, applications voohdooh's that makes things in different ways), in e16 the shadows has been removed, in e17 you can see them only in a very few applications, for example conky or gkrellm which are meant to be transparent, but since they are apps, the window manager adds shadows to them

but these ghost shadows should happen for everyone (specially if we talk about e17, so e16 seems like to have a few issues managing them depending of the graphic card), so maybe we are not talking about the same thing

Sorry, but here you misunderstood the issue,
probably because we were using an own expression for this:
We mean
when the computer gets switched on (!)
a shadow from the last content of the display appears for a short moment, like a screenshot.
After this it disappears (and shows sometimes)
the so called "barcode".
After this the display behaves as expected

oh, that is just "normal" lol

it happens because the gpu saves a memory of the last information used (the data of these images) and are reproduced when that resolution is switched back, just before it -gets- the new image information to draw - or something like this :slight_smile:

its a hardware common behaviour, we cannot do much i assume :thinking:

1 Like

In my personal case, those ghost shadows are in E16, not in E17 but maybe we mean different things, for me it wasn't an issue but a low memory consequence that I must to live with :smile:

Something like: The cops come charging in, throw your laptop/machine in the freezer and subsequently reproduce all that is available/cached in RAM. :nod:
Wasn't that how they caught the "silk road" crew?

1 Like