Betatest needed: live mode reciclating wifi (since 3.8.10)

I need a volunteer to betatest a new feature in 3.8.10 :slight_smile: (available probably tomorrow)

The feature will search for network configurations in an elive system installed on hard disk and re-use them for the live mode, this means that your wifi connection will directly work on live mode if you boot it from a computer where you previously configured it in your installed system :w00t:

The feature doesn't works if your partition is encrypted (and that's why I cannot betatest it here, my two computers uses encryption)

So is needed somebody with a laptop with elive without encryption

In short, the list of betatests to do (if possible):

• wifi directly works on live mode (with the details explained before)
  • same thing, but with the LAN cable instead of wifi
  • your language / keyboard preconfigured based on your autodetected location (this feature existed before but was improved in a more reliable way)

Thanks! :happy_dance:

1 Like

Hi!

All three points you spot are effective in 3.8.9, usb live, eeepc 1015pn...
(and that's one more reason to encrypt by tha way... :wink: )
For encryption by itself, am I wrong or this option is not very clear in install process..?

Ih!

Hum, the installer includes automated encryption creating (asks if users wants to encrypt) and this is very easy, but for manual partitioning its everything up to the user, basically the user needs to use gnome-disks (shown in the list of partitioners, which mentions encryption) and set it to be encrypted

Maybe this is not very clear and could be nice to add extra instructions in the instructions/guide window too :thinking:

I can try 1 and 3. I dont have LAN cable network.
do you still Zsync?

3.8.10 isn't there yet ..... so hold your horses. :smiley14:
But yes, it will zsync_curl once it is put up.

@Thanatermesis
As to point 2:
The LAN connection was always fully automatic due to it's DHCP nature, no need to probe there other then for fixed straight-through connections, which aren't very likely.

I have seen in a computer here, with a normal LAN cable connected to the router, that it takes up to 17 seconds to show up, so a delay in the Live mode has been added, unfortunately this affects to everybody but ensures that preconfigured languages and timezones are correctly set up

I have needed to work a lot on these things, the splash system, and the very painful systemd bad-designed structure

@triantares @IamElive @Franc: ISO 3.8.10 is ready & available :slight_smile: :partying_face:

1 Like

Eventually that one is going to bite us in the butt, I fear.

not really, the problem is that systemd is very bad designed, its confusing to set up units and its dependencies and it does not the expected things, in the end you can see that you simply cannot do a reverse dependency and you end up hacking the external unit that is not meant to be modified in a first place, so an ugly hack has been needed to apply in order to make it working correctly

in short, plymouth unit stopped in any moment (if earlier, important messages not shown, if after the grahpical system try's to launch, it blocks the graphical card and gives graphical errors, making the system unable to start the graphical user... those VESA messages found sometimes!), and the thing was to make it surely stop before the graphical system and while the graphical system should start after other processes needed to finish... systemd makes this hard to set up, unable to set reverse dependencies (it says so somewhat, but it doesn't do what is really needed to do) and doing unexpected things

but in the end, its hopefully correctly set up now and wontt give problems anymore

1 Like

Just did a test on 2 machines.
Using existing user wifi settings works fine excepting the machine with multiple users. The 1000 user does not have wifi configured there and apparently the others are not probed.

The single user machine is fine and uses the correct password to auto-login.

In both cases (with wifi turned off) the tp-link USB-LAN connection comes up with no problems as expected ..... seeing those don't require a password anyway.