Browser - Websites not acknowledging

Hello! I am a newbie to Elive. I have installed it on my computer, and rapidly noticed the outdated browsers. I installed Palemoon 28.16.

I really don't have a problem with outdated browsers, except when I use some websites with security. My bank (no big surprise) intercepts my login attempts and tell me I need to update my browser for security reasons. Even one of the hotel rewards sites refused to function with outdated browsers. Seems to be an increasing problem.

I know, due to the old kernel version (and maybe for other reasons), you can't install a modern browser, but is there any workaround for this problem, such as convincing the website that your browser version is up to date when it really isn't?

I cannot install any more recent version of Palemoon... I have tried. Apparently package files ending in "linux-x86_64-gtk2.tar.xz" will not work; only Palemoon package files ending in "linux-i686.tar.xz" will work on my system. The last package file (in Palemoon's archive) that had this ending was Palemoon 28.16

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hi!

I was going to compile the latest Palemoon for 3.0, but that's currently held up because the install scripts don't want to work. Don't recall what the problem was.
I certainly will try again sometime soon though.

You should be able to modify the User-Agent in Palemoon. The user agent is basically what your browser sends to the server to say "oh hi this is firefox 69 on windows 9 kthxbai". You can find the latest one, such as Chrome on Windows 11 pretty easily. Just configure Palemoon to use that user agent and perfect!

I doubt palemoon supports client hints so that shouldn't be a problem.

Latest UA that I found: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.45 Safari/537.36

The main issue isn't the kernel, it's the fact that Stable is 32-bit. :face_with_head_bandage:

Not even that.......but that nobody (in this case Mozilla) wants to keep maintaining 32bits products. :frowning_face:

Thanks! I will give it a try! I appreciate the help... Not sure exactly how at this point to modify the user agent, but that's what google is for...

Just thought I would follow up. I tried updating the user agent as suggested. I got a very strange response when I tried to log in to my bank again.... It says I have Firefox 94 and that my browser is outdated, but then says I must have a minimum of Firefox 84 for the website. I am attaching a screenshot. Any suggestions? I am grateful for all the help you have given so far.

By the way, I tried lowering the version of Firefox and using the Safari user agent.... Same result. It shows the (most recent) version on the user agent but tells me it is outdated.
Processing: Screenshot from 2021-12-16.png...

That makes... no sense to me.

Maybe it is checking the client hints?

You should see if you can contact the company. Say something like "my Palemoon version is pretty new and should work, but your website says it's incompatible. When I try changing the user agent that changes nothing other than the reported browser I have. Is there any way to bypass this?"

@triantares is currently testing my compiled version of Palemoon on Stable so if it works you can try that.

Also ... your screenshot isn't showing up for me

Here is the screenshot. BTW, when I try to sign in with other browsers to the forum, it tells me that the browser is out of date (and I can't seem to log in), but when I sign in with Pale Moon with the updated user agent, there is no problem, so I must have done it right... lol

Weird. They must be using Client Hints or something.

Well, I don't know. You might want to contact them to ask them to support PaleMoon. Alternatively you could try the Beta which is a lot newer, or use a virtual machine (I know for a fact Virtualbox is available on stable, although if might not work well depending on your machine specs) if you want to stay with Stable.
Do note that the beta is a lot different from the stable. You'd like it if you like retro. Not nearly as polished though.

I'm going on a limb here but .....
I think that the banks are looking at supported TLS protocols and how recently they've been updated in the browsers.

So it might be a Palemoon thingy.

I'd be shocked if Palemoon wasn't up to snufff with TLS. :thinking:
Although if it isn't, that would likely be the culprit.