BUG hunting Enlightenment (E24+)

E24+ is the future. I once almost gave up on Elive using E16 because it had limitations/compatibility issues running 64bit applications/programs e.g Oracles,s JDM( now only offered in 64bit if i am not mistaken). Luckily I got the latest Elive beta versions and now use these as my daily drivers which with the exceptions of a few "guru meditations" run fine and are a delight. I cannot wait to get my hands on Elive 4.0

Phab developers seem to be too busy sometimes , no one responds to previous bug reports I sent . in fact i find the problem is solved here at Elive before the E24 people do a thing. Are they concerned they are not getting attention or traffic? because personally i think they have done a great job with E24+

1 Like

Aren't you confusing Stable (with E17) with Beta now?
E16 is available on 64bits Beta. . :nod:

if the E24+ bugs still exist (make sure you use the last builds), you should check if the phab task is assigned to someone (raster for example) otherwise is probably nobody receives it, or set to the group enlightenment-git which i think multiple people will receive it, and then add a comment saying the actual status of the issue. In case is not existing anymore you can close the task :slight_smile:

E24 is getting more and more interesting, raster did a lot of work (especially in the user-interface) which we can see on his recent email: Enlightenment / [E-devel] E polish + flat :eyepopping:

it includes a preview of how looks like the new theme :slight_smile:

everybody welcome to try it and following report UX improvements as how it explained that changed recently in the post :applause:

NOTE: just to explain because i never did before :slight_smile: E24 cannot enter in Debian-Buster in any public form, we need to wait the next debian stable for this possibility, the reason of that is that requires a few updates in the OS to make some things work better, like:

• the systray is not working correctly (no nm-applet shows up, the network-manager gadget)
  • intel cards makes E24 to crash after using it for a while (seems like new xorg fixes that)
  • wayland will be better supported (yes, you can run e24 from your own console, without graphical system, try it!)

this one is also an interesting read, like the previous posted link: Enlightenment / [E-devel] Updates from E Development land

mentions: @triantares @TheTechRobo @LupusE @Rebel450 @yoda @IamElive @linux23dragon @grottem @maxinou...

3 Likes

I do like the Lambda/Half Life logo on the screenshot. Every system needs a litte GLaDOS spirit.

That's not fully true, in the sense that it supports connman as network-gui app but not network-manager.

from the pinned E24 tips post:

I can't say I've noticed while I was using E24, are you sure?

I didn't meant that, network-manager OR connman as network connect is another topic (and should be optional to the user to pick its preffered one), the issue is about the systray, there's some applications that doesn't shows up on systray, nm-applet is one of them, a systray is very needed for many applications (dropbox, nicotine, xpad, bluetooth widget, kupfer (just in case), and many others...)

I have added a new FAQ entry of why network-manager, just in case people asks why this one or wants to switch to another one :slight_smile: Why we use Network-manager

it happens to me all the time (after half an hour of using), but is probably my intel card model especifically, IIRC raster told me is related to the xorg intel driver version

My specs:

Graphics: Device-1: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel
bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:1916
Display: server: XOrg 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.6
compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes

Could be .... I've got a Thinkpad running E24 permanently that has a Haswell-ULT card and never crashes using the same i915 driver.
Same goes for the Intel 5500 and the 3rd gen Core processors...albeit they run E16 most of the time.

By that I assume you mean the E24 systray as they show up just fine on E16 (cairo dock as well as tint2) ..... might be worthwhile to investigate adding tint2 in the E24 desktop for solely that purpose. :thinking:

Just to show a difference:

• A Thinkpad X250 running E16 retrowave with plank as panel

and a Thinkpad X1 carbon 2nd gen with E24 using the slightly modified dark theme

Both laptops are/were in permanent use by my daughters at university with no problems to login to vpn using respectively nm-manager and connman.

mmmh, wait, we are mixing things i think :thinking: , the systray is the small widget which shows an application icon with actions, more exactly, try this in e16: "nm-applet --popup", you will se gadget in systray plus a menu opening from it, now, if you do that on e24, you cannot see the app at all (only the menu, from "nowhere" (unless this has been recently fixed)

Yes, which is actually a cairo-dock instance doing that.
Tint2 can do the same....and IMO is easier to customize.

Systray using tint2 on E16:

also see:
https://triantares.ddns.net/Videos/Using-Elive-E16-Minimal.m4v

Just thinking about it:
Systray has far more potential than it is currently used for. :nod:

1 Like

yeah so in E24 we can actually simply disable the actual systray emodule and use an external app for that like the ones you propose (which one is better? and lighter?)

this could come in a preconfigured E24 but this won't happen until the big work on the future E for Elive will be made, in the meantime I suggest having a "Enlightenment 24 first setup custom configuration and fixes and improvements" #howtos :thinking: (that can be very good for SEO too, but the good keywords needs to be researched for that)

1 Like

I was actually thinking along the lines of running a script that runs from lightdm or entrance when logging into E24 and another when logging out that dis/enables connman.

Latest E24 update crashes the display after laptop wakes up from suspend. The mouse curser becames partially unresponsive and you can partially open menu items on the Systray / Docker thingie at the bottom, resulting in screen flicker bizzare overlap of program maximize and minimize frames. You need to reboot to regain control, but it recurrs . I am unable to post the video. Screenshot is not available either. Possible display driver issue as the earlier versions of E24 dont do this.

edit: On further analysis the also problem arises when i try to reduce the virtual destops from the default 4 to 1 using the docker at rhe bottom

Alright, I Hate E24 :tm:

'Parrently now opening firefox developer edition with 1 loaded tab makes E laggier than minecraft on a pentium 2.

This is horrible. I'm going back to e16.

My last test on E24 shows a very dark desktop, almost unreadable everything (except fullscreen things), im the only one to have this issue? :thinking:

Running E24 on a guest-session using the default (dark) theme, is OK on my machine.
Maybe try creating a new user for testing and see if that changes anything?

same, e is laggy, but usable (in a sense)

Hum, this is very strange and I wondered if only happened to me, like I said the desktop is entirely unusable because of the dark feeling, it is a kind of "tinted layer on top of all my windows", yes I created a new user conf but still having the same problem, next test will be from a Live system, good to know that is not a global bug but E24 is usable :slight_smile:

Important: https://forum.elivelinux.org/t/e25-bullseye-betatesting-for-bug-reporting-to-e/3075/20?u=thanatermesis