clipgrab wont install

It doesn't need to be built .......just copy the python code and click on the main.py (or whatever it's called) to run.
You will have to install the dependencies they call for.
I suspect the setup.py is made to accommodate Windows users as well as the different Linux distros available i.e platform agnostic ..... If it's just for Elive the scripts will be easier as we control the way dependencies are solved.

If you want to run this particular GUI you'll need to install wxpython, and twodict:
"api wxpython twodict" on the commandline.

I don't think we'll need GUI here, an Add-On is needed. The 90% if GUI users won't go from the browser, where they're seeing a Video, copy the link, paste it in the GUI, choose some options and make the Download.
If I am already in a browser and want to download something I see, than I want just to select it and choose an action: Download, convert, email, send to iPod, ...

I am totally happy with the cli version, because I don't download where I am watching youtube. But for all other I found this per google:

3 Likes

I totally agree ...... only downside is that the add-on is a FF thing, leaving other browsers in the cold....but then that's by choice. :wine_glass:

This, my friend, would be another

"never seen features included" .... on Elive

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

Exactly.
That's one reason why Mozilla is always my first preference, as explained and compared earlier
:w00t:
:nod:

I dont want it just a suggestion there are others than youtube-dl:grinning:

the question will be "it is worth the effort" ?

in other words, we should see how much dependencies are needed (extra ones) to install in a default elive system (like booting in live and just installing the dependencies), if they are not so big, we can just use the default wxpython :slight_smile:

yeah for me is better the gui too, but we are talking about "end-users usability" so its a must than just the commandline tool :slight_smile:

yeah, it depends on how many options this GUI includes (and how much usefriendly is), so its good to have options and choices if they are worth or needed to have

unfortunately we use chromium by default, not firefox, so the addon should be needed for chromium instead

this is a bit delicated too since users use their own google accounts with their own extensions, hum!

by other side if we have it on the videos applications menu, users will just found it, and say "oh nice! i can do that!" and will remember it the next time would want it

yeah but stills a very good feature to have it included by default :smiley:

Been working on one. May take awhile though. It's also not that advanced (complete rewrite) so if anyone wants things like fileformat feel free to let me know how. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah, I wish these different browsers would just agree! :weary:

On second thought...what if we used pyinstaller...all we'd need to do is pip3 install wxwidgets and then pyinstaller it, then we have a compiled version that will work on computers without wxwidgets...

No need for that if wxwidgets is simply added as a dependency in the installer .deb

FWIW, this is my preferred way of archiving videos... Do keep in mind that the --write-auto-sub and --all-subs options will result in a crap ton of VTT files. (If I'm lazy, I'll remove the subtitle downloading entirely.)

youtube-dl --continue --retries 4 --write-info-json --write-description --write-thumbnail --write-annotations --all-subs --ignore-errors -f bestvideo+bestaudio --write-all-thumbnails --write-auto-sub https://youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Followed by a download of the youtube comments using a script such as GitHub - egbertbouman/youtube-comment-downloader: Simple script for downloading Youtube comments without using the Youtube API if I want.