Create an Alexa App using Amazon SDK within Elive?

Amazon alexa is accessible through Iphone or android App.
You can interact with Alexa with other devices than Amazon, I think you need an Amazon Prime account ( at least, I have and I was aple to place a call for free through the internet through Alexa Iphone App ! Free call Canada, USa, Mexico !!)

Some people seem to be able to use the sdk of Alexa to incorporate Alexa within their OS

As our loved os is called Elive (Alive), it would make a lot of sense to have some AI ( Alexa) listening to us through our Webcam microphone !!! Allowing us to use Alexa....

JF

I always tried to include speech recognition in Elive, that could be possible, but reality shows that in fact it is not a so very used / useful feature, see for example Siri of iPhone, is a very good feature deeply integrated in the OS with tons of hooks and things to make it easy (you save a lot of time/steps to do some things, like “add a memo about…” or “alarm in 2 minutes”), but in the real world, nobody uses it

We are both right LOL some use voice recognition and other do not.

Me , my 26 years old, and 21 years old son use Siri all day long LOL

JF
But i think it is not a priority at all… Let’s wait for amazon or someone else to do the job so we only need to " install an app"

Note : don’t forget about Alexa and google home sales exploding :wink:

Really? hum... well, at least Siri is -pretty- well made

yeah not a priority, specially since elive has no market lol

1 Like

https://chat.susi.ai/devices

taken here
https://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2018/DebConf18/

Siri, Google home, Alexa.... all of these are not FOSS. There is an effort underway in the FOSS community and it's called Almond. This isn't ready for production.
You can find it by searching for Almond assistant.

If home automation is the goal there are options out there but again, they are not ready for production.

My suggestion is to get Elive listed in Distrowatch in the top 15 distributions first. Most of the home A.I. projects for FOSS are years behind the competition but this isn't the place to fix that.

1 Like

Thanks @Scatershot, first time I hear about Almond :slight_smile: , yeah you are right about the competition point, I also don't found -so- quite useful these things for a computer system (more like for a phone, which is an OS specifically designed for its purpose with the things integrated between each other in a more specific / compatible way for each OS layers)

About the Top 15 distributions, I have a possible strategy in mind which may (or not) work, but every suggestion to reach that is very welcome! since its an important "issue" of Elive

Actually I see these kind-of problems / points:

• Elive doesn't has marketing / publicity
  • Viral publicity sounds like the only way to have it
    • Note: accidentally in the past, Elive got a good amount of publicity when the installations required a donation; where the alternative was to write an article / entry about Elive, this produced a good amount of publicity in internet, maybe could be needed to revive something like this!
  • Bad reputation over internet because of the requirement of donations (which even if is perfectly correct to sell, it was never required, always providing cost-free alternatives)
  • Fashion: Debian is not the fashion (ubuntu or mint or manjaro is), Enlightenment is not fashion (gnome is), so even if you can say "it is better!" is not what the people is used to have / want, let's say "tendency"

Note: Linux stills only the 1% OS of the home's computer