Debian Bullseye (next Stable release after Buster), what this means for Elive?

So we are going to have a new Debian Stable release soon [42, 44 bugs listed ATM]

What means this for Elive? in short: stay calm :slight_smile:

Basically: your system will be not switched by default, there's important reasons for that:

• in a massive upgrade like this, your computer could become unbootable or with some features not working (at least a small % of them from the users)
  • this big change means new bugs, we don't want to have the stable environments of everybody becoming unstable in a way or other
  • if somebody wants to upgrade the full system, the most suggested way is to boot in the next iso that contains the new system, try it, verify that everything works, and then just use the upgrade mode of the installer, which also ensures to clean better the previous system and maintain your users and settings (fast, clean, guaranteed, etc...)
  • as an option, after to have betatest the new system and its upgrades, maybe the elive-ugprader tool can propopse this full upgrade

So after to understood these points, your Elive will stay stable and working, with eventual updates and improvements too, but for the full upgrade (debian-version distro switch) is recommended to boot a release of Elive in live mode and reinstall using it

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: New version of e16 released

Debian Bullseye is going to be released in 1 week: bullseye release planned on 2021-08-14 and the last weeks up to the release, this means basically, a lot of work :work:

Well, there's some points related to this:

• To rebuild the entire Elive to support Bullseye is not a too much hard thing, but requires a good amount of time (rebuild all the pacakges, update the patches / modifications, discover new bugs, discover uncompatibilities, fix all the shht for elive...
  • We don't need an urgent upgrade of the beta's from buster to bullseye (in fact, waiting for the first update of bullseye is less time work wasted for elive, in other words: an update with the most noticed bugfixes from the release to the public)
  • EliveRetro doesn't depend of bullseye, -if we- can build a reliable & stable & light version based on bullseye, that's perfect, if not, we can still made it based in all the work from buster
  • Websites will require also an upgrade (elivecd.org & forum & email-server), which should allow to send (maybe) to the hotmailses that banned us long time ago, and probably make the website faster!

There have been a long time we didn't released a beta version (because of the emails cleanups that needs to be finished), do we should do a hurry release these days before debian releases Bullseye? i think so, otherwise we will need to wait more time for that, as previously explained

I was just reading this from theregister

Debian 11 is based on the 5.10 Linux kernel and officially supports the same architectures as Debian 10, though this may be the last with full 32-bit i386 support.

So bullseye is going to be the last debian version with 32bit support? :thinking: it sounds like in a few years the only way to use Elive will be to use old versions which stills available (no more updates possible, except own backports)

I just tested on my virtualbox.

I did the totally simple thing by replacing "buster" with "bullseye" in (only) /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list .... knowingly doing only that, as I suspect that marillat and elive lists prolly aren't there yet.

Long story short: On update a few errors like security repo for bullseye isn't there (yet) and that buster stable has become old-stable.
The upgrade took a while and I kept all answers to the questions to "default".

After a reboot ..... no worries what so ever. :smiley14:
except of course a message telling me I shouldn't mix repositories. :mwahaha:

marillat is probably ready, the elive one doesn't include packages -yet- for bullseye, but is very probably that after to have them in bullseye, the "apt-get dist-upgrade" would run fine :thinking:, since elive is so compatible with debian everything could be done in the same way.

hahah elive is smart !
well, this is very important to let the user know, i have seen many users susprised that "things not work" after to mix repositories (of course, they read on internet about doing that like a normal thing and they don't know / understand that many uncompatibilities and different libs etc can happen)

I agree it makes sense to wait out the first next Bullseye release with squashed obvious bugs.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Installing Bullseye over Buster on Elive Beta