Donation once or always?

I would like to know if a donation allows me to download only the version I donated for, or also all subsequent versions of Elive.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You actually do not need to donate for 64-bit, if you keep participating in the forum people can give you a download-link.

The stable version is a 24-hour donate-or-wait mechanism. I don't know if it lets you download subsequent versions but I think it does — my link from September 2019 still works!

1 Like

Thank you for the answer.

In theory all subsequent versions of the Beta, using the same link....albeit that after time (thinking years here) a link (or a server) may change.
Stable and 32 bit Beta are free to download, only 64bit Beta asks for a donation, where a Beta (obviously) is a moving target but will also always be the latest and greatest to play with. :cheerleader:

1 Like

If I understood, paying for 64-bit Beta entitles you to the next Beta but you have to pay again for 64-bit Stable 4.0?

It is to know if including future donations in a single payment (more convenient for the bank) or keeping some money aside to pay again when Stable 4.0 is ready.

Stable 4.0 will probably be free. It will most likely be another donate-or-wait system...though if the bandwidth allows it hopefully we can do direct downloads. :happy:

1 Like

Thank you. If all messages answer my initial question, do I check "Solution" for all 3 or just the last one?

You can only mark as solution for one.

So check-mark the one that helped you the most.

No, you do not need to donate again, only if you wish to.

All donations are entirely voluntary and token to helping out in the development of Elive.
The download offers options for one time donations as well as recurring payments through Patreon.
Other options (non-financial) are to

• Write a review or help out, in any way to make Elive more known to others.
  • Or help out here on the forum with testing experiences and bug hunting and/or advising others on topics you might be knowledgeable. Get Involved - Elive Forums

Keeping Elive development going requires a lot of effort and the donations are the only income that gets generated.

3 Likes

Hi @TheTechRobo,
I like this statement of yours! Should I participate a lot, show my best and keep waiting until someone sends me the link? Or should I myself ask from the top?

2 Likes

After you've been on the forum for a while, just ask a moderator (like me or @triantares or @Rebel450). (@Thanatermesis is too busy to respond to these)

1 Like

I did a donation but still asks for donations on the 64bit download page. Do i have to give it again?

@Sharath_Prakash as a first thank you for your donation.
The link you recieved will remain valid whether you donate again or not.
That also means that it will let you download newer versions too when they become available.

Hi @triantares. I didn't get a download link after donating, i did it while trying out elive on a VM. Is there a way i can get the 64 bit version? Just asking. BTW great work on the performance. Haven't dived in to customization of these.

Ah, I see.
That is a point looking into. In principle it isn't entirely stupid to take for granted that someone who's already using Elive doesn't need the link anymore. :smile:
64bit requires a donation to download or ......

• for instance some interaction here on the forum, mainly aimed to squash bugs, as it is a Beta release after all.
  • or a review in any way publicized on the net.

I'll see what I can do for you.

Maybe when they do a donation from the OS it will ask for their email for a link?

Well that could (rightly) be seen as intrusive ...... so if at all I think if someone donates they should be asked if the perk of a download link through email is appreciated.

Considering there probably are quite a few images out there, ranging from older versions up to Stable and later the Betas ,,,, methinks the only option is to offer that through the donation web page where the "elive-donations-support" script directs. See:
https://www.elivecd.org/donate/

Mabe add an extra check box (with an option to add an email adress) under the other 2 here:

1 Like

BTW there was a feature implemented in the website to get back the "what you donated for", for example a beta version, it will give you also the updated versions: Validate - Elive Linux

1 Like