Dynamic Audio Configuration

I would really love in the future, if Elive Audio Configuration would not require us to close and re-open our apps to take effect

I often have to do Webinars or record memo with microphoneon (Whatsapp,Voxer,Signal) and I often move from HeadSet to Speaker and vice versa

Currently, i need to close the App, change the audio config and re-open the app to take effect.

JF

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, that is not technically possible using alsa (Elive 3.0) but it may be possible for future versions of Elive -if- we switch to pulseaudio which may be a requeriment, this is also pure speculation so only the future will know how it will work (the configurator tool of Elive will be then useless on such setup)

I vote for the switch to Pulse. :slight_smile:
You know me, so you can imagine I miss the days of OSS (OpenSoundSystem). But there is not only pulse. There are great improvements from SoundBlaster 1024 to the X-Fi as well.
I hate the Audigy Z. No support at Linux, and even under windows a nightmare (Different settings after every 2nd Windows Update, Overloaded big Software, …) But 116dB SNR! If you start the System, everything will be more quiet than before.

Next I want to test the Terratec Aureon 7.1. The hardware is a little behind the Creative solutions (Except available in Low Profile), but the software should be much more easy to handle. Reminds me of the old Turtle Beach USB soundcards.

@Thanatermesis what do you need to switch to pulse? Can I help?

1 Like

Basically the entire system needs to be updated; to new debian base, 64bit packages too, etc... this requires tons of modifications and adaptations (to be able to work with the new OS base changes, like all the changes related to pulseaudio vs alsa, systemd? (probably not), HAL removed, new filesystem structure like /run, etc etc), package rebuilds imported with the needed new modifications, etc

I dream since years in a base structure where the users can build / create / submit their own packages (well, they can actually do that in the same way as debian, but there's not a framework made for it), something guided similar to "eltrans", where users can update old packages or submit new applications making them available in Elive for everybody... but to make this a reality requires a ton of work