E16 light theme customization

Taking your points one by one:

You'd have to define "common" in "most common languages" .... as in absolutely most users, most languages or most computers?
Anyway I don't see a need for a "next step" (or would that be Jobs' Nextstep? :rofl:) in the top menu of a widget other than reading what's down below it.
That would be an argument to NOT have a close button there ..... it's counter intuitive.

Which is exactly what I'm making a case against. "Other" actions do not have possible destructive consequences, contrary to the kill button. I'm daring Elive to make a design statement there! :eyepopping: One that can be defended .... and if at all, even with initial dismissal: Will generate "noise" on the net. :nod:

So? That would be your mouse, this is about the pointer.

I agree .... it's a good solution.....but the icon placement is still built on old habits that should be re-evaluated every now and then.
Art is there to break existing habits and create new ways of looking at - and doing things.

Maybe we could even discus having the icons at the bottom of the screen ...... why has that never been done?
I can think of multiple reasons why not but no doubt there's many that have never given that a second thought, let alone voiced them.

Hey when it's about design it's not the big things that matter .. it's the little things that make the difference.

I just found this and was a pretty interesting read!

https://uxplanet.org/10-small-design-mistakes-we-still-make-1cd5f60bc708

1 Like

Yeah, read that book a while back and made me look in my bookcase to find it again.
Found "The joy of UX" by David Platt right next to it ...... :w00t:
Here's the online version if you don't have it or just want to browse:

https://www.academia.edu/37156809/The_Joy_of_UX_-_David_Platt

BTW

For "EliveLight" theme I'll wait around till you've finished "EliveDark" and make changes to have consistency between the two.

There will be small differences in look.

• like I plan to keep the round icons (albeit with more space around them)
  • They will be flat and reminiscent of Stable's E17 too.
  • Have them in the same functions, color scheme and order as in EliveDark with the same highlighting mode.
  • I'll rebrand current "Elive-GTK-light" to "EliveLight" and create a separate github repository for it, once done. GTK-light will remain a separate theme entity.

Suggestion:

Change the menu corners on the default cairo-dock to not have rounded corners to make it consistent with e16 menu.

@triantares:

I will not waste efforts and time for reply to your
ideas which are not confirm to any quasi standards.
It is all said and shown by screenshots before,
there is really no need to re-invent parts of a DE a new and force other users to take your, sry imo -weird ideas.
And,
methinks :smirk: we should put our energy in more important stuff instead to waste it on a DE which will be soon obsolete on Elive anyway.
What you have done yet is good and enough now,
let's go back to the main stuff.

6 posts were split to a new topic: EliveLight and Dark e16 themes

I found this page with a huge amount of themes for e16
old e16 themes screenshots:
http://themes.effx.us/previews
The downloads:
http://themes.effx.us/packages/e16/

1 Like

I tried all of them :slight_smile: , and only the "worth" ones where packages or included in elive (the other ones are simply not usable because different reasons, like font visibility, colors, uncompleted parts, etc)

1 Like

I suspect that my light themes will need some editing too now.
Haven't touched them for a while now and E16 has had some changes, some of which I actually asked for :wink: since then.

But then I do not want to be on E23 and E16 simultaneously.....it'll make my head hurt. :shocked:

So maybe somebody else has time to check it. hint, hint, nudge, nudge. :smiley14:

2 Likes

Long time ago i told you I can make a package of it

So well, I finally took the time to create the structures for that :slight_smile: , so now anybody can install it on their elive:

apui e16-theme-elivegtklight

Note: if you made changes in the repo, the package will be automatically updated, rebuilded, and included in the repo! :eyepopping:

time for party @triantares @Rebel450 @yoda :partying_face:

2 Likes

Is this the place for request improvements to the theme? :happybounce:

The theme looks pretty nice on my desktop !

My suggestions are:

• improve the buttons so that they looks more correct and no-pixelated
  • maybe the menu a little more "white"
  • maybe the font of the title (window border) can be incrase a bit more, it seems like to fit
1 Like

Nice, I wasn't sure if it would still be alright. It was made for 3.7.6 at the time, after all. :smiley:
Myself, I had my E16 so messed bit that I got the strangest results when testing IIRC ...... and then moved over to E23. :nod:

I've been at that multiple times but a lot is due to the way E16 handles transparency. The best way might actually be to NOT use circles as buttons but squares in a similar fashion that you use in the "dark theme"...... also to keep the "look&feel" a bit coherent. :thinking:

Strange, on my own current machine elive-gtklight theme doesn't work correctly. :face_with_head_bandage:
The menu looks like this and is in fact inaccessible with a mouse:
Elive_Screenshot_2020-02-23_11:36:43__682x430

I cannot find why. :slightly_frowning_face:
Is anybody else having this issue?
i.e did I mess the theme or either bork my own E16 somehow?

if you are using the package, it works on my side

try to restart to a new e16 conf? :thinking:

cd ~/.e16
bkp save

then trigger the e17-restart-stuff command to crash your desktop and start a new conf :thinking: (so yes you can recover it later with "bkp get" , but you must be out of e16 to recover it first

Yeah, I removed all my old instances, purged caches, regenerated menus and restarted after installing with apui.
I'll try your "shoot the horse and then make it get up again" method when I go in again. :madness:

Something i noticed very strange is that when loading it at first time, it took like 2 minutes "reloading desktop", which was very strange, I thought that it was related to my ram / swap issues/tests but I freed it and it didn't change, finally it loaded, i don't know why this happened.. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Nope, never had that ..... strange. Would that be the intro window-shades not opening?

Well I shot the horse and woke it again but alas somehow that doesn't work for me. :face_with_head_bandage:

It's worrying at the least and hard to undo if you can't see the menu to apply another E16 theme.
It's doable with right-click, then arrow-down, arrow-right, arrow-down to "themes" (it shows up) , arrow-right and blindly select a theme. :shocked:
So "group menus" do become visible, single entries don't. :thinking:
It's even harder to logout (cairo-dock doesn't have that option) maybe it's an idea to revive the age old Ctrl, Alt, Backspace combo?

Anyway I'll wait around if there's any others wanting to try and see if this behaviour is there before I start dissecting the lot (err.... horse).

I am not sure to get what you want us to try

Explain again please, in E16 ?

Well, install the gtklight-theme from the repository as explained in the post above:

Then change to the theme and see if the menus work.