Elive 3.8.4 install problem

I am currently in the 64 bit version of Elive
Description: Elive GNU / Linux (on Debian buster)
Release: 10
Codename: buster
My current version works fine, no problems encountered.
During installation, I used the menu line with the option of free drivers.
My graphics card is: Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT
Previously, I tried without success the installation of the 3 versions of Linux drivers offered.

I downloaded version 3.8.4 but I can't install it.
I have tried all the options available from the installation menu
including free pilots. and this, several times with always the same problem related to the drivers of the graphics card.
Why free drivers no longer work in this new version and worked in the previous version, a big mystery for a beginner in Linux for me.

1 Like

@Thanatermesis ?

Do you have access to wired internet? If so try installing it with the Nvidia drivers connected to ethernet. It should find and install the neccesary drivers that way.

I have that ugly thing too. It's the reason why i switched to AMD. Worst drivers ever. every update was a roulette. I had to stay with older driver for a long time. The only one actually working well was one of the first versions for that graphics card.
I may try it too if you want, but i feel so bad about it, i could be 100% sure it's the drivers being written as badly as my english grammar.
The graphics card itself was not even so bad, it could even run wolfestein smoothly despite the age. But the support...

May be a stupid question, but
is the nouveau driver not working ?

@klrm This version included drivers that seems like had dependency issues, the problem has been solved in the updated release 3.8.6 using different versions of these drivers, can you try if your issue is solved with this version? you can use the same download link for the 64bit version, or tell me if you need a download for it

I'm now going to betatest the nvidia drivers in a local machine too thanks to @Rebel450 :slight_smile: , and also in a very old machine with nvidia too (which are much harder to test due to its very low ram to install it )

1 Like

update: nvidia drivers in version 340xx worked correctly in @Rebel450's machine, both kernels 5.4 & 4.19, on which the second one performed correctly also into the installation

1 Like

Got kernel panic... Woooh... Yeeeh....

1 Like

Ah no it was just a ram double kill. 2/2 sticks dead. Nice!
(Btw i just noticed it was the wrong thread. Sorry!)

1 Like

pls keep in mind that this Nvidia, or better GeForce, is an older and simple one - the issues encountered by several members happens
with quite newer cards, it may be slightly different.
Remarkable:
Astonishingly Nvidia itself handels a wide range of models
(which are very different)
with one driver; e.g. Nvidia Drivers -
Version 340 .1070
handels:
NVIDIA TITAN Series
GeForce 800M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce 700 Series
GeForce 700M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce 600 Series
GeForce 600M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce 500M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce 400 Series
GeForce 400M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce 300 Series
GeForce 300M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce 200 Series
GeForce 200M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce 100 Series
GeForce 100M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce 9 Series
GeForce 9M Series (Notebooks)
GeForce 8 Series
GeForce 8M Series (Notebooks)
Quadro Series
Quadro Series (Notebooks)
Quadro FX Series
Quadro FX Series (Notebooks)
Quadro NVS Series
Quadro Plex Series
Quadro Sync Series
Quadro SDI
GRID Series
NVS Series
NVS Series (Notebooks)
ION (Desktops)
ION (Notebooks)
ION LE (Desktops)
ION LE (Notebooks)

NOTE:
THIS IS THE 64bit LINUX DRIVER
;
Release Date Wed Jun 06, 2018

yeah, broken ram's causes kernel crashes and any other kind of crash (and also your personal / important data corrupted)

have you check it with memtest? (from Live mode)

there have been multiple issues with the drivers, all the changes that are made for the version 3.8.7 are listead on https://forum.elivelinux.org/t/nvidia-continuous-compatibility-and-bugs/1864/2?u=thanatermesis , but specifically talking about new drivers as you say, the cause should have been that the 95% of the users are using the 32-bit version, where the new drivers doesn't works (details on that post), so they need to use the 64bit version for that. The next build will explain this to the users when trying to install the drivers, so they will be not left with a "elive simply not works" feeling

1 Like

and so - it will be more easy supporting the 32bit stable,
not a bad thing...
(btw Nvidia themselfs seems to lack 32bit support generally (?)

on the other hand, hard to keep the overview for 2 "platforms" inside Elive :eyepopping:

more than that:
2 architectures x 2 kernels x 3 nvidia-drivers x 2 modes (live / install) = 24 different tests needed

and we are not talking about the many different nvidia models (just like the b43 wifi's variety), not about other drivers, and not about many other factors :fearful:

But here, because most of the 32bit machines are known by now,
it is good that there are a certain driver collection ready yet,
not so much surprises will come anymore.
The 32bit works like a charm with the most (still alive) 32bit machines -
and these will become less with every day ...

not exactly, see the actual example of why i have included a newer kernel in the 32bit version: 95% of the people downloads the 32bit version of elive as a "demo" for their newer machines (of course the 32bit system just works on 64bit machines) because is direct download instead of the 64bit version, so this means they still needs new drivers or they will have a feeling of "hardware not supported by elive"

this is a little different point than just selecting the 32bit version for old machines and 64bit version for newer ones