Elive Beta on Rocket Fuel Part Two

Ok. So there was a thread a while ago about Elive on Rocket Fuel with an nvme drive.

Do you really need nvme???

Recently I replaced the hard drive (with my friend's coaching) in an old Toshiba Satellite L510-00x. It's a piece of crap. But -- elive revived it!

The new hard drive was a Samsung 860 Evo with 250GB storage that I got a few years ago when I thought I was going to use it. Anyway, the machine has 4GB RAM, a Pentium D (?) 2.1 GHz...

I can have like twenty tabs open in firefox + discord + libreoffice calc, it only uses 2GB RAM usage, and its still fast :runningfast:

Anyway, thank you for :1up:'ing my hunk of junk! :madness:

Sorry, I would donate but I don't have a credit card yet, which, similar to @stoppy98, is probably a good thing :rofl2:

2 Likes

I'm thinking recently to change my SDD 256 GB hard disk to a nvme 970 evo 512 GB, why? because is cheap (70 USD), has some more GB that can be welcome for my computer and all the data... but mainly because is a switch between 500 MB/s to 3000 MB/s

By other side I don't think I will notice very much the difference just because 500 mb/s is already a lot, I mean, my laptop bottleneck is more on the cpu than on the HD, but for sure will increase the speed of the system for builds, tests, and installations in vbox, so it sounds like a good win... I maybe buy it in a month or so :slight_smile:

According to mty cousin it really helps during video editing, which
makes sense since most editors take advantage of a disk cache
along with a RAM cache.

You should try BTRFS on it. That file system can back up your system in 1 second or so on a old HD.

mmh, hasn't thana had a bad experience on it?

yea, I think they have done more work on BTRFS in the kernel. I suspect that it will be ready to use in linux 6 kernels

Okay, but take LOTS of backups, not just the snapshots.

There are only 2 types of data: data that you have backed up twice, and unimportant data. - Something that circulates on gbatemp and basically everywhere

In elive 3.8.19... you can install linux 5.10.14. try btrfs with that kernel

ITry the btrfs wiki on its status.