Elive builds on Bullseye: first isos

I's a lot more than a simple solution this way.

1. It shows what the installer is capable of
  2. It keeps the adopter/user in control which is a good feeling if you've just started an 'adventure' into Elive.

I don't quite remember the wording to the E25/E126 choice, in regards to E25 but ...... I do think that the 'experimental' stage opposed to 'light' cannot be emphasized enough. :thinking:

I hardly ever do (it messes up desktop-scaling in E16), I was just surprised that it uses 'wayland' on the live version too..... I wasn't sure whether I'd once installed 'wl' there myself, or not. :innocent:

• No, there isn't one, at least not a very specific desktop one.

Maybe we should coordinate with the Enlightenment devs and create a small tool that would do it for you.
By that I mean: Something that collects the crashdump and reports it in the right way to 'phab.enlightenment.org' or internally it to Elive, with added comments if wanted. :thinking:
Going in there, enrolling and reporting a bug in the right place to the right dev can be fairly intimidating for a first timer.....a HowTo wouldn't really do much there but might be a good addition, anyway. :happy:

• Personally, I want to concentrate on E16 for now. There's still plenty to be done there as E25 isn't going to be here soon enough IMO.
1 Like

Most of messages can be improved from eltrans (translating to english, which is a special feature), i just checked this message is already available for eltrans (liveboot section)

yeah this was already implemented for E17 in the reporting system of elive (automatic report of crashdumps, if user wants to share reports on install time) so making it better is just improving it :slight_smile: , but of course for that we need to -start- already using e25 and this is only for adventurous users at the moment

that's a problem, elive will not release any "stable" version until it doesn't looks like nice as 3.0 with e17 so we really need e25 ready asap (which doesn't stops us using e16, making it compatible and optional, or even releasing a stable special-version based on it)

2 Likes

I think, the biggest 'problem' is that most gnome-based apps automatically take on a gnome window-dressing and really mess up the enlightenment experience. It makes the desktop look messy and slapped together. :frowning_face:

To get a more E look&feel we need to find replacements for those apps (i.e gnome-task-manager) that aren't as messy ... even Qt apps aren't that intrusive.

That alone will be quite a chore by itself.

Oh yes ..... I forgot to mention:

The background change transition is too fast, it's unnerving.
Set it very much longer.

lol i think i have recently set it to a faster speed because it felt to slow, like "why it changed?", so its more like a demo of "this desktop can look like this" and then it finalizes back to the original wallpaper which is the best picked up (so the delay should be not very slow otherwise the full experience will be missed)

it is actually set to 60 seconds switching :thinking: you think is too fast?

BTW I took a minute to rephrase the e25 pick as suggested of @triantares to make it clear is not ready (and many elive features will be not working), the new sentences can be found on this commit https://dev.elivecd.org/changeset/5580#file11

No, not really ... it's a matter of choice of what you want to show.
I'm in absolute 'thinking mode" lately.... as to how to stop the slow death throe Elive is in. :astonished:

It all comes down to setting your aspirations.

There is really so much that Elive has to show for itself ..... and we keep on trying to entertain these 1st world, never satisfied trolls. :frowning_face:
There is a vast world of (older) hardware users out there that would love to compete with those idiots (trolls), if only they had a platform that could do that on. Elive (or EFL) could just do that ... so let's work on that....It's actually you're forte IMO.

well, elive definitively needs:

• a better website "showing how good elive is" (people don't need to download to try-and-see what's like)
  • e25 correctly imported and working without issues like e17 was
  • a much better promoting of elive, many websites needs to talk it more, is quite unknown for what it is compared to what are other distros

and resources / time to reach the goals

No, no, no!!

People need to know about Elive in the first place to even be able to find the website ... that's a catch 22. :frowning_face:

Yeah, somewhere before the world drowns due to climate change ..... Not realistic!
You are selling Elive (and yourself) short..... it's not a matter of having the Enlightenment desktop as a GUI, it's about using EFL to achieve just that goal.

Soooo! ......... don't be a 'don quichote' and aim for all the stuff all the others do (lost battle anyway) but find a proper audience for the things you're really good in.
Elive is very good (if not the best) at delivering top notch performance on very low specs hardware with almost everything a modern computer is expected to do..... so flaunt that!

I'm very serious .... the majority of the world lives in south-America,, Africa or Eurasia ... let's go there.

1 Like

I'm confused :thinking: people cannot know elive before to find the website :thinking:, so basically:

SEO, articles, reviews, etc (curiosity)... --> leads to elive website (discover, know how good is, want to download, etc) --> leads to downloads (try, donate, use, etc)

sorry, i cannot go faster, too many work and many topics at the same time

that's a good one, noted for the next website contents I have put them actually it in a Testimonial entry on the homepage, will need to use that for the future website changes, structuring correctly the information / contents and picking what / where to put them is not an easy thing

I have lived in a few places in south-american and unfortunately I can say people don't even know what linux is, it is more known & used in Europe or USA, even if they would benefit more than anyone else they just never heard about something called leenoux, I think a good strategy will be to make a research of all the schools in south-america to get their email addresses in order to spam email them with info about what is elive and how it can benefit their school, users, and computers :thinking: @triantares @TheTechRobo

I wasn't referring to you but to the Enlightenment development in general, sorry if that wasn't clear.

That's not a bad idea but maybe we need to take it up a notch and see if there's any interest in it by NGOs and such.
We'd need some low specs boxes (like my old Acer) installed and running as a proof of concept and some ready made flashdisks available for that.
This requires some thinking. :thinking:

As to the testimonial, change that to:

Elive is by far the best OS, delivering top notch performance on very low specs hardware, including all the software a modern computer is expected to have.

yeah, that's why i said recently that we must start playing with E so to start reporting issues / things needed to fix so that we can have a working and stable updated E base for when the development will start (otherwise we will need to wait months/years until we have it ready)

the other day i was playing with E25 and it was quite good, but I found some glitches that needed to be fixed :thinking:

well, the school idea is especially promotion of the OS, to make it worldwide generically more known, ngo's too

yeah, low spec boxes are good for betatesting :slight_smile:

We should consider having a Raspberry Pi version too. :innocent:
Depending whether we're aiming for computer classes or not.

Another thing might also be in having (tailor made for schooling) persistent USB flashdrives available. That way, every student can have his/her own computer where there's not enough hardware available to go round.
All in all that's the cheapest solution in all situations

no more work please ! lol

yeah can be good, i don't have the hardware, but in any of the case is important to prioritize (first we need other priorities finished before add another task to the :work:

yes but first is needed to know if there's an enough interest on that (first let's see if a good amount of schools starts using elive), i had an idea to make a version for kiosk mode too (those one-boot systems with volatile user data per session), for cyber-coffes, hostels, etc... but since they don't know about elive nor even linux, is not worth to made it "for nothing", so first is needed to see that there's a demand of X feature

Raspberry Pis are like $35 for a 2GB RAM version.

• If you're ever at a loose end I suggest trying one. :smiley:

I'd love Elive on an RPi.

Cf. RaspberryPi* (ARM-based) version of Elive, HOW?

Offtopic but how do you change what program X boots into?

For my company I was searching for a little movie creator. I remembered the Elive promotion video from @Thanatermesis, made with cinelerra-gg ... And I've seen this nice block on their website:

Sad it is not in the official Debian (bullseye) repo (you know, company policies and so on). But it is a great way to make Elive publish.
The project is such small, it could insert programs/features, that 'the big ones' don't.

For everyone who missed or forgot the video: Persistence features promoting

1 Like

Elive on a Pi might be an excellent fit. The Pi is attractive for lots of reasons but most distros are too heavy for it (e.g. Pop OS) - Elive could actually have a chance of making that hardware usable - if so: world domination. But I get that it is a huge ask right now...

Frankly I gave the RPi as an option because it gets used a lot in computer classes.
Other than that, I doubt that there's a real market for general computing for a Pi where most get used either as a media server or as a standalone web-server.
The first is well served by the Kodi team and the latter already has an excellent Elive server version available through:

The scripts there are all no-arch requiring only a Debian based install to migrate from.

Fair enough - but it makes me wonder - if there is no merit in the idea, why did System76 go to the bother? Anyway...it was just a thought - trying to find that niche...

1 Like

11 posts were split to a new topic: What defines a modern desktop?